Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dyno tuning  (Read 2495 times)

Doughdserk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Dyno tuning
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »

Hi guys:
I own a 2007 SERK.  I had it dyno tuned at my dealer in Columbus, OH a month or so ago.  Bike runs fine, but now gets sub-30 miles per gallon -- used to get low 40's per gallon.  I don't really see that much improvement in the performance -- in fact when its cold -- it seems to miss a little.

The dyno shows 93 hp and 108 Torque.

I have the software for the tuner and cables, and tried this evening to reprogram back to my original map (S159MV002-A0.MT6), but I get an error saying that the unit can't communicate.

I am able to get the ECM data just fine, and everything matches up -- so it seems my laptap "talks" to the ECM ok.

Any suggestions?  Should I go back to the dealer and have them work on the dyno tune to get better mileage?  Does anyone know how to fix my error on reprograming the ECM?  Should I just be happy with the performance and forget about getting better gas milage?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Doug Jackson
Doug
FLHRSE3

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: Dyno tuning
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:16:31 AM »

Hi guys:
I own a 2007 SERK.  I had it dyno tuned at my dealer in Columbus, OH a month or so ago.  Bike runs fine, but now gets sub-30 miles per gallon -- used to get low 40's per gallon.  I don't really see that much improvement in the performance -- in fact when its cold -- it seems to miss a little.

I have the software for the tuner and cables, and tried this evening to reprogram back to my original map (S159MV002-A0.MT6), but I get an error saying that the unit can't communicate.

I am able to get the ECM data just fine, and everything matches up -- so it seems my laptap "talks" to the ECM ok.

Any suggestions?  Should I go back to the dealer and have them work on the dyno tune to get better mileage?  Does anyone know how to fix my error on reprograming the ECM?  Should I just be happy with the performance and forget about getting better gas milage?

Thanks
Doug Jackson

Hey Doug

I'm pretty sure a "touring" MC should have the ability to travel a reasonable distance between fuel stops. Less than 30 mpg? Hell no. Less than 40? Riding 80+, ok. Your tuner most likely eliminated the closed loop to screw your milage up that bad. Even with the CLB tables maxed you cant suck that much gas. If your able to "get ECM info" your comunicating. Maybe talk to your dealer and see if they have a solution. At least give them chance make it right. Maybe it was trainee day on the dyno?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:30 PM »

Doug,

Are you sure you have/had the Run Stop switch in the ON position?   If you do not you will get an error something like unable to communicate with the "ADSL" device?   Ignition needs to be on and so does the run/stop.   Then you need to make sure you have the right com port selected to communicate with the block box through your serial cable to the deutsch connecter which talks to the ECM.

Sounds more like you have a setup problem that needs to be overcome vs. a non communicating ECM.    Are you using a Serial port on your computer / laptop or are you using a usb/serial adapter to communicate?
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:27 AM »

Hi guys:

Thanks
Doug Jackson

The dealer most likely took it out of closed loop and you are running rich everywhere.  Send me the map - I'll tell you exactly what they did.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

Doughdserk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 08:01:48 AM »

To: One Screaming Eagle
How do I send you the map?  I have the software and cables, but I don;t know how to download it from the bike?

Doug
Doug
FLHRSE3

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 08:35:56 AM »

HMMM. what kind of tuner are you using? SSERT, TTS, or what?
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Doughdserk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »

I have a SERT -- been on the bike for 18 months or so.
Doug
Doug
FLHRSE3

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

To: One Screaming Eagle
How do I send you the map?  I have the software and cables, but I don;t know how to download it from the bike?

Doug

The dealer should have given it to you on a cd, or your memory stick or a print out.
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 11:48:47 AM »

ive heard that some dealers are reluctant to give those up

Doughdserk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:43 PM »

The only thing I got from the dealer was a print out of the performance.  I called the dealer today - the service manager wants to chat with the tech, and they will call me back.  We'll see where this goes.

Doug
Doug
FLHRSE3

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »

My dealer is wanting to dyno my SERG on Saturday, temp around 59 degrees is that ok. or should i wait till next week about 68 degrees? I am using a sert. Thank`s
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:43:50 PM by JP »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 08:08:08 PM »

My dealer is wanting to dyno my SERG on Saturday, temp around 59 degrees is that ok. or should i wait till next week about 68 degrees? I am using a sert. Thank`s
Not an issue.

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 08:24:30 AM »

Doughdserk

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »

One Screaming Eagle:
Attached is the map I got from the dealer -- what do you think?

I can't open the file with the version of SERT software given to me when I bought the bike -- could that be an issue?

Doug
Doug
FLHRSE3

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 06:38:57 PM »

Probably need version 4.77 of the SERT to read it.   This would be the version I would try first as it was the last update to the old SERT Software.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.