Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Hawg Wired RG: 120 watt or 150 watt?  (Read 5149 times)

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
Hawg Wired RG: 120 watt or 150 watt?
« on: April 12, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »

Did a search here & read quite a bit.  Seems like the 120W will be plenty.  I'm not looking for a competition, or to power an outdoor party.  Just want to be able to hear good clear sound whenever and wherever I'm riding. 

Only thing I heard negative was not enough bass -- but that's the same with 120W or 150W, and to be expected from a 5.25" speaker.

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Hawg Wired RG: 120 watt or 150 watt?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:39:13 PM »

i have the 120w system and it sounds great.  loud as can be and can heard from anywhere nearby.   I love it and would reccommend it to all,   unless you need a 4-6 speaker set up..   I really didn't.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 09:48:08 PM »

Did a search here & read quite a bit.  Seems like the 120W will be plenty.  I'm not looking for a competition, or to power an outdoor party.  Just want to be able to hear good clear sound whenever and wherever I'm riding. 

Only thing I heard negative was not enough bass -- but that's the same with 120W or 150W, and to be expected from a 5.25" speaker.

Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated. 

i have both, i say the 150w.

:orange:

TN

Wut the hell was that maneuver

Riders Claw

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Rider's Claw, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:39:15 PM »

i have the 120w system and it sounds great.  loud as can be and can heard from anywhere nearby.   I love it and would reccommend it to all,   unless you need a 4-6 speaker set up..   I really didn't.

Nice!  I thought I heard your iPod up here in Illinois the other day.
I just bought the "plug & play" system from them and plan to hook it hup this weekend.

Enjoy the ride... enjoy the tunes. 

www.RidersClaw.com  Your Ride... Your Music

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

Bigger is awlays better.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »

I bought the 120 watt but upgraded the speakers to the CX instead of the SX, now wish I had bought the 150's for both SEEGS :(    Definitely recommend going with the 150 watt amp.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:30:33 PM »

I went with the upgraded speakers aslo. Sounds really good.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 10:36:02 PM by cvostu »

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »

I have 3 systems.

2 of the 150's and 1 120.

My money is on the 150.

Pay a few extra bucks to Jim and never have to worry about it!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »

Figures.  It's ALWAYS the more expensive choice.   :coolblue:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »

Figures.  It's ALWAYS the more expensive choice.   :coolblue:

YUP!

More power is always costly!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 11:07:40 AM »

I went to our local dealer to listen to a bike there with the 150 installed.  Short of it, I wasn't impressed.  It could go loud and clear, but that's about all I could say.  Bass was non-existent.  Yeah I know, what do you expect from 5.25" speakers.

What's it take to get GOOD sound on my RG (keeping it all up front, retaining use of saddle bags)?  The dealer suggested an additional pair of 6x9's mounted on the inside walls of the inner fairing (facing the tree).  Anyone here have experience with this?

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:29 AM »

I have the big amp and still want more volume.

86 N 04

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »

If your looking for bass yet keeping the use of your bags look at "loud lids" the new covers actually add a little more space and they do get some bass. I heard a set the other day was pretty impressive when used with bigger amps and quality fronts.

86 N 04

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 10:49:58 AM »

Those of you who have the Hawg Tunes, please let me know which system? I am trying to decide on just the two in the fairing or the "4 in your face" set up? Anybody have experience with the sound of the two verses the four. I have heard the 4 is unbelievanle but it is also $1600.00!!!!

86 N 04

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 12:14:38 PM »

I have been doing quite a bit of research on an upgrade for the audio on my 04 Screaming Eagle, Electra Glide. It seems that the Hawg Wired systems recieve regular acolades for the sound, with exception to bass. I was thinking about using the modification kit an installing 6 1/2" speakers in the faring, and possibly the 5 1/2" in the lower farings. My HUGE draw back is the cost of these systems. I have been told that they can be purchased from other places at considerably lessser cost. I'm looking for imput form those who have installes or heard a two speaker system versus the 4 speaker system. Also if anyone knows where systems are available at lesser cost. The "4 in your face" system I am considering is $1650.00, that is insulting!!! Please chime in, thanks Greg. 

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »

I have been doing quite a bit of research on an upgrade for the audio on my 04 Screaming Eagle, Electra Glide. It seems that the Hawg Wired systems recieve regular acolades for the sound, with exception to bass. I was thinking about using the modification kit an installing 6 1/2" speakers in the faring, and possibly the 5 1/2" in the lower farings. My HUGE draw back is the cost of these systems. I have been told that they can be purchased from other places at considerably lessser cost. I'm looking for imput form those who have installes or heard a two speaker system versus the 4 speaker system. Also if anyone knows where systems are available at lesser cost. The "4 in your face" system I am considering is $1650.00, that is insulting!!! Please chime in, thanks Greg. 

The guy to talk to is (Jim) hd dude, he will know everything you want to know, and he is a dealer for Hawg Wire  :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=5673.0;all
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 01:36:22 AM »

It seems like the other popular choice among the CVOers is the Hog Tunes.  I'm in the process of installing the 8 speaker setup on my bike right now.  I wanted to get a chance to hear the different systems in person while I was in York, but I had to make an early exit for home.  I thought I would get a chance to hear them in Eureka Springs, but I had the itch and went for the Hog Tunes setup.  I'll probably be a little upset if I hear the Hawg Tunes in ES and they are significantly better sounding.  For the price, I'm assuming I'll be able to live with what I have.  The entire setup was something like $660.  If you are doing just the 2 in the fairing and 2 in the lower fairings, it's much less.  I have only had the opportunity to hear the Hog Tunes once, with a 2 speaker setup on a SERG and they sounded good.  I haven't heard the Hawg Wired at all.  I think the only way to make an informed decision is hearing them both yourself, in person.  I already blew that by purchasing before getting a chance to listen to both, but I have seen enough accolades for the Hog Tunes at the lower price, that I'm feeling confident that I'll be satisfied with them.  I have a feeling that there must be something to the Hawg Wired system, or they probably wouldn't be able to demand the higher pricing.  But then again, my hearing isn't what it once was, and I don't think I can hear quality anymore.  I only need 2 settings, loud and louder.  If I end up with speakers with to much clarity, I might actually learn the words to some songs and then start singing along, and none of us want that. Trust me.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 11:15:19 PM by 1abastarsmda »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 02:10:54 AM »

It seems like the other popular choice among the CVOers is the Hog Tunes.  I'm in the process of installing the 8 speaker setup on my bike right now.  I wanted to get a chance to hear the different systems in person while I was in York, but I had to make an early exit for home.  I thought I would get a chance to hear them in Eureka Springs, but I had the itch and went for the Hog Tunes setup.  I'll probably be a little upset if I hear the Hawg Tunes in ES and they are significantly better sounding.  For the price, I'm assuming I'll be able to live with what I have.  The entire setup was something like $660.  If you are doing just the 2 in the fairing and 2 in the lower fairings, it's much less.  I have only had the opportunity to hear the Hog Tunes once, with a 2 speaker setup on a SERG and they sounded good.  I haven't heard the Hawg Tunes at all.  I think the only way to make an informed decision is hearing them both yourself, in person.  I already blew that by purchasing before getting a chance to listen to both, but I have seen enough accolades for the Hog Tunes at the lower price, that I'm feeling confident that I'll be satisfied with them.  I have a feeling that there must be something to the Hawg Wired system, or they probably wouldn't be able to demand the higher pricing.  But then again, my hearing isn't what it once was, and I don't think I can hear quality anymore.  I only need 2 settings, loud and louder.  If I end up with speakers with to much clarity, I might actually learn the words to some songs and then start singing along, and none of us want that. Trust me.

I think you're on the right track.  There was another thread that compared HT with HW & said the HT was better bass but the HW went louder without distortion.  Take your pick. 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »

I have the three amp system, plus a bass amp, crossovers, 2 speakers in the fairing and 2 in the lowers. I may be looking at selling this system for about half price. PM if you are interested.

Hillbilly

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »

PM sent

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »

I have the three amp system, plus a bass amp, crossovers, 2 speakers in the fairing and 2 in the lowers. I may be looking at selling this system for about half price. PM if you are interested.

PM SENT
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.