Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin Speaker Connection  (Read 998 times)

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Garmin Speaker Connection
« on: May 27, 2009, 01:06:33 AM »

While this will not apply to the Zumo group, hopefully someone with a little bit more knowledge can help me out. I am trying to hard wire my GPSMAP 478. I have all of the wires to do the install. The working end has a plug on it for the unit. On the standing end are 9 wires. Red/black are for 12v +/-. 4 wires are for ports 1 & 2 in & out. I believe this is NEMA protocol. The white wire is for alarm. The final two wires are: orange: voice (-) & brown: voice (+). I'm sure there are a thousand reason why not to do this but it's late & I'm not thinking straight so... Why not just hook the voice + & - directly to one of the speakers? I failed engineering class when we were talking about Ohm's law and impedance (good thing I'm an entrepreneur).  I'm not looking to get high quality XM radio out of the unit, just voice commands for directions.
TIA,
AJ

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Garmin Speaker Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:59 AM »

Don't hook it directly to the speaker, it won't work and may cause damage to the output circuit of your radio. attached a 3.5mm stereo plug and insert into the AUX input jack on the front of the radio.

Ride It Like You Are Retired

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »

AJ it can be hooked into a dedicated speaker not one hooked into the stereo

Do that by going through the stereo

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 09:17:56 AM »

attached a 3.5mm stereo plug and insert into the AUX input jack on the front of the radio.

I did this with my Garmin Street Pilot on another RG.  It worked, but took some electrical engineering to make it happen.  There was too much gain coming from the Garmin, and it caused the sound to be distorted after about 30 minutes (with potential to damage the radio).  Took it to an electronics genius friend who coached me into soldering a component (I forget what) inline on the output wiring to fix the problem.  

We also used a small plug on the Garmin side, into the body of the Garmin.  This plug disconnected the Garmin internal speakers when I plugged the cable into it.  The cable was male/male.  It was a real clean set-up when done, but a royal pita to construct.  Hope this helps!

[PS - went with RoadTech Zumo this time]
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:19:50 AM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »

Hey AJ, check with Kennedy Electronics!   I'm sure they have something that will work for you or can tell you how to wire it up.
 :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 21 queries.