Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HOG TUNE AMPLIFIER PROBLEMS  (Read 4669 times)

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
HOG TUNE AMPLIFIER PROBLEMS
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:37:07 AM »

I recently had a 902.2 Hog Tunes amplifier kit and Hog Tune speakers installed in my SERG. Along with their Road Glide adapter kit. This install was done right before I left on a 11 day trip. To my horror once I got above 35 to 40 miles an hour the music became very distorted. The only way I got any half decent sound, I found out by experimenting. Was to turn the base and treble all the way down. And only have the volume 3/4 up. Any more than that it started to sound like crap again. The CD played a little better than the XM but they still both sound very distorted when I'm riding. I really thought that the whole sound thing was just due to the crappy winshield issues I was dealing with. But now I have my Clearview installed now I can hear the distortion really well. I have taken the bike back to the shop where I had it installed. We both checked the wiring harnesses and the power connections and all was correct. The install is basically plug and play. I'm also in contact with Hog Tunes trying to resolve this. I think my next step is to take it to a real electronics shop and try to have them troubleshoot the problem. I figured I throw this out here and see if anyone else has experienced this type of dilemma............Fuzz :nixweiss:   
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

TBird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG O/B
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Annie (Traded)
    • CVO3: 05 Springer Classic
Re: HOG TUNE AMPLIFIER PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »

I am having the same system installed Monday I will let you know how it sounds.
"We might be divorced but your still my sister"

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »

And only have the volume 3/4 up. Any more than that it started to sound like crap again.  

I don't get past the m in volume before it breaks up.  It's just the limitations of the HogTunes amp/speakers.  The reason it sounds worse at speed it that your volume goes up (setting) with your speed.  I keep my volume bars at the u and everything's fine.  At that setting it's background noise with my earplugs in.  And you're right, CD's are a clearer source & will distort at a higher sound level than FM.

EDIT:  I seriously considered going HogWired vs HogTunes over this issue.  If you want loud(er) I don't think you have a choice.  Pony up for HogWired, or keep the volume modest.  HogTunes is still louder than stock.  Also, there was another real good thread comparing the two on this forum.  The two bikes were side by side, and it came down to HogWired louder before breaking up, and HogTunes with better bass at lower volume.  I heard a Street Glide with HogWired & there wasn't much bass.  That's why I went HogTunes (plus the fact that the 150 watt HogWired system is nearly triple the price).  

I must be mellowing.  Also thinking my stock 96 with Fullsacs/PowerPac/MasterTune is good enough.  
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 10:32:33 AM by PR3VS56 »

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

FUZZNUTS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »

OK, I'll try that for a while, but I think I'm going with Hawgwired....................Fuzz
Someday's you hit them like Jack Nicklaus and someday's like Jack Ass

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 09:22:45 AM »

Hawg Wired has some great stuff. I have the 120 watt system and love it. Easy install too. You can do it yourself in no time at all. I'd definitly go that route again. 

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »

Although I have only had my Hog Tunes installed on my SEUC for a few months, it is a fantastic sounding system with no problems whatsoever!  Sounds great all the way through the volume band at low and high speeds.

It's too bad that you're experiencing problems, which no doubt is an isolated occurrence due to the fact that Hog Tunes offers a lifetime warranty and I'm certain that they would never do that without confidence in their product.

Pez (owner of Hog Tunes) is a super guy to do business with... I'm sure if you get in touch with him, he'll have you back on the road sounding fantastic in very short order.

Good luck,
Grizzly

PS - And no, I'm not a salesman for Hog Tunes, just a very satisfied customer.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »

OK, I'll try that for a while, but I think I'm going with Hawgwired....................Fuzz

Fuzz if your serious about replacing what you have for better sound you should look to replace all of it. part of the reason for the distortion is the head unit. I was in the 12v audio biz for many years. that hog tunz/wired is just middle of the line equpt but the stock radio is just that. you can prob replace the whole deal (radio,speakers,amp) for less money anyway. hog wired has that adapt so you dont loose bar controls. thats how Im gonna do it. sony makes a nice marine grade radio, M60 I think and a nice small class a amp 2 x 50. and a 6 1/2 speaker ( with adaptor ). done deal !! :bananarock:

All that specialty equpt. is over priced for the quality. They do it to classic car guys too.
a.k.a  Dent Dude

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »

subscribed

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.