Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Will pulling the main fuse set off the alarm?  (Read 3666 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Will pulling the main fuse set off the alarm?
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:37:58 PM »

On my 09 SEUC, I wanted to know if there is anything else I need to do before pulling the main fuse to keep the alarm from going off.  For some reason, I think I pulled it once before and I couldn't get the alarm to stop.  I don't remember if I had the FOB there or not.  I saw where you need to turn the ignition on and pull the main fuse to disconnect the battery, but I'm wondering about just pulling the main fuse.  It's the recommended first step in removing the outer fairing in the shop manual, however I could not find it addressed anywhere on precautions in removing the main fuse.  Maybe that's because you don't need to worry about anything, but I figured I should ask.  I'm sure someone knows the answer to this one off the top of their head.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
Re: Will pulling the main fuse set off the alarm?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:59:40 PM »

I believe that you have to turn the ignition on with the security fob present, and then you can pull the main fuse without setting off the alarm.

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:06:26 AM »

I believe that you have to turn the ignition on with the security fob present, and then you can pull the main fuse without setting off the alarm.

Ed

Thanks Ed.  I was going to get in touch with you to see if you were riding in the charity ride for Children's Hospital last weekend from Steel City to Hot Metal, but then I didn't think I was going to make it.  I ended up at Hot Metal as everyone rolled in, so I saw that you weren't there.  I'm sure we'll cross paths one of these days.

Dave

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:22:33 AM »

Thanks Ed.  I was going to get in touch with you to see if you were riding in the charity ride for Children's Hospital last weekend from Steel City to Hot Metal, but then I didn't think I was going to make it.  I ended up at Hot Metal as everyone rolled in, so I saw that you weren't there.  I'm sure we'll cross paths one of these days.

Dave
Dave, I was going to go - one of our members was involved in putting it together.  Sadly, the 18 year old daughter of two of our members (and a member herself), passed away last week and her funeral was on Saturday.  She was a super young lady - even planned the details of her biker funeral.  We had about 50 bikes and a Harley-drawn hearse.  They are really good people, and it was incredibly heartbreaking.

So, what kind of a turnout did they get for the ride?

Ed

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

Even further off topic...

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:57:30 AM »

Dave, I was going to go - one of our members was involved in putting it together.  Sadly, the 18 year old daughter of two of our members (and a member herself), passed away last week and her funeral was on Saturday.  She was a super young lady - even planned the details of her biker funeral.  We had about 50 bikes and a Harley-drawn hearse.  They are really good people, and it was incredibly heartbreaking.

So, what kind of a turnout did they get for the ride?

Ed

I'm sorry to hear about that.  That certainly takes precedence over riding.  As for the ride, it looked like a real nice turnout.  I didn't count the bikes rolling in, but I'd guess in the 75 to 100 bike range.  However many it was, it was a pretty big group of bikes to all come rolling in together in one line.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 01:36:37 AM »

...pulling the main fuse ... the recommended first step in removing the outer fairing in the shop manual...

There's no real need to pull the main fuse to open up the fairing. Well, I guess it all depends on what you're going to do under the hood. Unless you're going to jeopardize shorting out two wires, I wouldn't worry about it.  I never have.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:53 AM »

There's no real need to pull the main fuse to open up the fairing. Well, I guess it all depends on what you're going to do under the hood. Unless you're going to jeopardize shorting out two wires, I wouldn't worry about it.  I never have.

I figure that it's an easy enough thing to do to avoid the risk of any other complications, so why not do it?  It's as easy as pulling off a saddlebag and popping off the side cover, so I'll take the extra 90 seconds and not risk shorting anything.  Since I seem to operate on Murphy's Law, I should probably follow the manual every chance I get.  The only thing I'm doing in there is switching speaker grilles to steel mesh, so I'll extend this hopefully short task a few minutes for peace of mind.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 01:58:24 AM »

I figure that it's an easy enough thing to do to avoid the risk of any other complications, so why not do it?  It's as easy as pulling off a saddlebag and popping off the side cover, so I'll take the extra 90 seconds and not risk shorting anything.  Since I seem to operate on Murphy's Law, I should probably follow the manual every chance I get.  The only thing I'm doing in there is switching speaker grilles to steel mesh, so I'll extend this hopefully short task a few minutes for peace of mind.

Why are you doing this? ???

As to Murphy's Law, isn't he dead... see where that got him?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:06 AM »

Why are you doing this? ???

As to Murphy's Law, isn't he dead... see where that got him?

It enhances sound quality by .0000000001% or less.  Really, I think they will look better and match the steel mesh grilles in my Hog Pod.  Those black cloth grilles already seem to be fading a bit and I'd like to find someone that has them to replace the rear ones the same way, but alas, I have not found such an animal anywhere.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 02:07:38 AM »

It enhances sound quality by .0000000001% or less.  Really, I think they will look better and match the steel mesh grilles in my Hog Pod.  Those black cloth grilles already seem to be fading a bit and I'd like to find someone that has them to replace the rear ones the same way, but alas, I have not found such an animal anywhere.

Where's the link to the back ones? Just a FYI, I did the Drag Specialties chrome trim rings and they look great. Perfect match to the dash rings. I'd post a picture if I had the bike here but it's still in the shop.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 02:12:15 AM »

Where's the link to the back ones? Just a FYI, I did the Drag Specialties chrome trim rings and they look great. Perfect match to the dash rings. I'd post a picture if I had the bike here but it's still in the shop.

I already have the Drag Specialties chrome trim rings also, and I am planning on putting those on the black steel mesh grilles also.  I can't find the black steel mesh grilles for the back speakers.  I'd like to do those also, but I can't find anyone that makes them.  Further, I wish that HogTunes made black steel mesh grilles for the speakers in the lowers, but again, not something that I think I'll find.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 02:13:47 AM »

I already have the Drag Specialties chrome trim rings also, and I am planning on putting those on the black steel mesh grilles also.  I can't find the black steel mesh grilles for the back speakers.  I'd like to do those also, but I can't find anyone that makes them.  Further, I wish that HogTunes made black steel mesh grilles for the speakers in the lowers, but again, not something that I think I'll find.

Aren't you worried that the steel will rust / fade / scratch?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 02:19:42 AM »

Not really worried about it.  For $20/pair, I could always replace them again, but Jim (Hd-dude) has them on his bike and they look a lot nicer than the cloth ones.  I remember he had posted a photo several months ago in a thread about those chrome trim rings.  They are a Hawg Wired product and they are cheap.  Other than cleaning, nothing really comes in contact with the speaker grilles, so I don't know how I would scratch them anyway.  I don't think this is one anyone will talk me out of.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »

I just found the pic that he posted in the other thread.  I like the look.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 02:33:49 AM »

... For $20/pair...  I don't think this is one anyone will talk me out of.

I don't blame you and kinda like the look myself. Especially @ $20/pr. Why can't Jim get them for us you?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 02:36:52 AM »

I don't blame you and kinda like the look myself. Especially @ $20/pr. Why can't Jim get them for us you?

That's who I have them coming from.  I called Jim today and he shipped them today.  I should have them by Saturday or Monday.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.