Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Pipes?? What's the verdict ?  (Read 6527 times)

factoryphil

Pipes?? What's the verdict ?
« on: November 15, 2005, 05:48:26 PM »

Just bought my wife an 06 SEFB. This thing is so quiet with the power robbing stock pipes. They have to go ASAP. Like to find out what the consensus is around here for the best power/sounding pipes. I run a black ceramic Thunderheader on my SEEG and think that pipe might be a little loud for the better half. Read a few posts about the Samson/Calibre 2:1 pipes. Looked at them today and seems to be well made. Does anyone run a Screamin Eagle Tunable pipe? ANy feedback would be great.

On another note. After riding my SEEG for 18 months I forgot how nice soft tails ride. The SEFB is an awesome ride.

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
Re: Pipes?? What's the verdict ?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 11:01:56 AM »

Best sounding, I may be a bit pregidous but I would say Rineharts. They may be louder than you'd like but they have the deepest sound you will find, especially on a 103.

I have a question tho? Did you check on being able to change the catalist mufflers in your area. My dealer said the 06's all have catalist mufflers, in my area there is talk of testing like on the cars. He said the 05's and earlier would be grandfathered in. I know this has ben metioned before and lobyests have been fighting such talk for a while but you may consider this before changing out the pipes. I hope this is not true for the future but it seems it will hapen eventually.

I was thinking of  trading mine in for an 06 with the wide tire till I found out it had catalist mufflers and I was concerned with the skinny belt. I have a deposit on an 05 deluxe with 10 miles for my wife because of my concerns with the catalist.

reo.....

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 04:54:50 PM »

I ahve calibers on mine, not the two into one but they have a nice deep throaty hotrod sound that is not overwhelming. Most times when I am out and encounter other bikes they usually will ask what kind of pipes I am running and tell me they sound awesome..

Ok here is the deal from my understanding of the new EPA laws. They take effect in 06. 06 Model year bikes with an assembly date prior to 06 can still be modified and they will also be grandfathered in. The bike will be titled in 2005 so your all set, do what you like!

Here is a pic of the pipes.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 04:55:13 PM by sefatboyscott »
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

factoryphil

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 07:40:05 PM »

I was also told bikes stamped with a 06 manufactor date will need to comply with the EPA emissions. Since my 06 and probably most 06's will be built in the 05 calender year, no issues. As far as pipe selection. I put on a set of V&H Pro Pipes. Liked the look of the 2 to 1. The Sampson Calibre pipes were my second chose. I really like Rinehart's, fit and finish is exceptional, but I had lot's of issues on my SEEG with them. I quess that's why they have so any pipes out there.
Since this is my wives bike I'll probably not get it dynoed. She doesn't care about a few extra ponies and the last thing I want is for her to have a faster bike.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 07:47:54 PM »

Phil if you change the pipes you should have it dynoed anyhowe, your air/fuel ratios are probably way out of whack causing a lean condition which could lead to engine damage.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 08:45:51 AM »

Just bought my wife an 06 SEFB. This thing is so quiet with the power robbing stock pipes. They have to go ASAP. Like to find out what the consensus is around here for the best power/sounding pipes. I run a black ceramic Thunderheader on my SEEG and think that pipe might be a little loud for the better half. Read a few posts about the Samson/Calibre 2:1 pipes. Looked at them today and seems to be well made. Does anyone run a Screamin Eagle Tunable pipe? ANy feedback would be great.

On another note. After riding my SEEG for 18 months I forgot how nice soft tails ride. The SEFB is an awesome ride.

I added the HD SE 16 Gauge Double Barrel Exhaust to my SE Fatboy. Also at the same time added the Race Tuner Kit. These pipes sound great!! Nice Deep rumble and loud (potato-potato-potato), but not so bad that other riders hate to ride behind you. My dealer said that these pipes are made for Harley by the Vance & Hines company. They really do sound great and look great too. Here's a picture attached.   :)  Sandy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 08:50:01 AM by Red_Hot_SE_Fat_Boy »
Sandy :)

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 01:13:36 PM »

Sandy,

Weren't you having problems with the air/fuel before you got hooked up with a race tuner? The advantage of using a SE pipe is that there is a downloadable map for these pipes so you don't need to dyno and build a custom map. Unfortunately my pipes needed a custom map. I think it's good to know where she ( the bike) stands and have something visual to show me how my bike runs though looking at the dyno charts.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:09:22 PM »

Sandy,

Weren't you having problems with the air/fuel before you got hooked up with a race tuner? The advantage of using a SE pipe is that there is a downloadable map for these pipes so you don't need to dyno and build a custom map. Unfortunately my pipes needed a custom map. I think it's good to know where she ( the bike) stands and have something visual to show me how my bike runs though looking at the dyno charts.

I was having some problems with the pipes popping a lot on decel and them turning really blue where they come right out of the engine and the pipes turning a copper color where they slipped on. But all this was with the first pipes they added, SE II's. My dealer added these when I first purchased the bike and didn't do any type of remap or anything. We latter found out that HD recommends that you always do a remap with an exhaust change. So even though HD wouldn't warranty the pipes turning, my dealer did because of their mistake. So second time around I had them switch to the SE 16 Gauge Double Barrell's and I paid the difference between the two exhaust systems. With these exhaust there's no blueing that shows, they are chrome from the cylinder heads all the way to the tip end. Plus the bike is running and looks better than ever!!  [smiley=cherry.gif]  Sandy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:12:41 PM by Red_Hot_SE_Fat_Boy »

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 05:51:30 PM »

Surprised your dealer did not know that anytime you change intake or exhaust you must remap........odd.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 05:54:18 PM »

Surprised your dealer did not know that anytime you change intake or exhaust you must remap........odd.

Supprised us too!! They are two brothers, the older one swore he had read in an HD's Hog Tales that if it was just a slight change no remap was needed. The SE II's they used were not much different in their opion that what HD had on the bike. When HD wouldn't warranty things and he couldn't find anything in print, except something I showed them in the HD parts book saying that the remap was always needed especially on an FI bike. They decided to warranty things themselves. Kinda had too, since we are one of their biggest customers. 8 new bikes in 10 years! :) Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 06:00:34 PM »

Ahh,  I miss that feeling of being the best customers in a dealership. We were the best customers at Century Harley in Ohio. We baught three new bikes and one used one from them this year prior to moving to NC. I miss the feeling that we got at the dealer in Ohio, here in NC we might as well be leppers.they don't know our buying patterns yet, In Ohio they would kiss our butts as you never know when we might just buy a new bike.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 09:30:12 AM »

Ahh,  I miss that feeling of being the best customers in a dealership. We were the best customers at Century Harley in Ohio. We baught three new bikes and one used one from them this year prior to moving to NC. I miss the feeling that we got at the dealer in Ohio, here in NC we might as well be leppers.they don't know our buying patterns yet, In Ohio they would kiss our butts as you never know when we might just buy a new bike.

That's about how it is here for us. We have know these guys for years, way back when they were just a road side shop. My husband trades about every 2/3 years and I have been trading and moving up as I learned to ride solo. That's one reason for so many bikes. I will more than likely be keeping this bike for quite a while. However my husband may trade in 07 if he likes the colors on the CVO Ultra Classic. Might take some time before something else comes along to make me want to trade. I love the size, handling and the way this bike fits me. Being a lady and only 5'4 1/2" it's hard to get some of these bigger bikes to fit me well. I love my Fatty.  [smiley=cherry.gif]  Sandy

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 10:14:43 AM »

I don't plan on ever selling my fatty either, but those new SE Ultras seem to be calling out to me " Scott, you know you want a cool touring bike, c'mon take me for a ride!" But on the other hand its hard not to consider a Goldwing for touring, 110 hp out of the box, more goodies on it and half the money. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned

wiseguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 10:22:47 AM »

Hmm...I like a nice growl but nothing to wake the neibors up the next mile road over.I also enjoy having a great looking pipe.I`m down to 2 Rineharts or V&H big radious??

Right now I just have the stock ones.

It's Not A Party Unless Someone Gets Knocked Down, Knocked Out, Or Knocked Up.

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 11:12:23 AM »

Both are good pipes, I think the rinehearts have a better quality concerning chrome.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.