Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: V & H - Dresser Duals  (Read 1858 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
V & H - Dresser Duals
« on: July 22, 2009, 07:57:22 PM »

This is most likely a very newbie question (which is what I am) and I hope its not too basic, but my 2007 SERK currently has the V&H - dresser duals.  In the range of after market exhaust are the dresser duals considered a "loud" slip on versus so many of the others I have resaerched?  They have a raspy sound to them and I am toying with the idea of changing them out for a deeper, perhaps not as loud, slip on.   But I was just curious where on the food chain of sound the dresser duals fall for comparison.   Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
Re: V & H - Dresser Duals
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 08:46:17 PM »

To me, most V&H pipes are loud with the exception of their Monster Ovals which offer a deeper sound note.  There are a lot of slipons out there.  Everyones definition of loud is what makes it hard to compare pipes/mufflers.

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:13:40 PM »

V&H Dresser Duals are head pipes, and are sold without slip-on mufflers.  The V&H website shows the Dresser Duals with a pair of Oval slip-on mufflers, which are relatively loud.  Are you running the Ovals?  If so, there are myriad slip-on choices, which can be run with the Dresser Duals head pipes or stock head pipes, which are not as loud....and some which are louder than the Ovals.  Rush makes a great slip-on with several baffle choices ranging from not much louder than stock to so loud your head will buzz for hours after a short trip.  I recently heard a set of the V&H Monster Ovals, and found them to be not too loud, but very deep sounding.  They'd go great with a set of Dresser Duals, or in the configuration I witnessed, stock head pipes.  Another great slip-on is the Hooker adjustable.  You can close off the baffle, quiet them down and increase torque, or open them up and shatter glass.  Choices are good.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »

I had the V&H Dresser Duals with their Oval mufflers on my '08 SERK.  I didn't think they were too loud, especially compared to a lot of people around here with drag pipes, or the 2 into 1 single mufflers.

I took them off last Thursday night because I was trading in my '08 SERK on my new '09 SERG.  I had been into streetrods for years and loved some of the exhaust systems in that genre a lot and hated others.  If anyone knows a bit about modified car exhaust systems, I found Rinehart's to sound a bit more harsh/tinny sounding like the Flowmaster mufflers and the V&H Ovals more like the deeper exhaust notes of a Dynomax Superflo muffler.  I really liked the deep mellow sounds of the Oval mufflers.  I did find out later that the V&H Dresser Duals and their Oval mufflers are NOT what you would call a great performer for power or torque for that matter.  There are other true dual header pipes, like the Rinehart's, that are a lot better performer and ANY muffler can be slipped on behind them.

As for right now on my new SERG, I'm kind of digging the quiet stock mufflers.  At least I can hear my tunes quite easily.  Now all I need to do is get rid of the air noise with a good windshield.

Good luck on your quest for an exhaust system. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 10:41:03 PM »

I had the V&H Dresser Duals with their Oval mufflers on my '08 SERK.  I didn't think they were too loud, especially compared to a lot of people around here with drag pipes, or the 2 into 1 single mufflers.

I took them off last Thursday night because I was trading in my '08 SERK on my new '09 SERG.  I had been into streetrods for years and loved some of the exhaust systems in that genre a lot and hated others.  If anyone knows a bit about modified car exhaust systems, I found Rinehart's to sound a bit more harsh/tinny sounding like the Flowmaster mufflers and the V&H Ovals more like the deeper exhaust notes of a Dynomax Superflo muffler.  I really liked the deep mellow sounds of the Oval mufflers.  I did find out later that the V&H Dresser Duals and their Oval mufflers are NOT what you would call a great performer for power or torque for that matter.  There are other true dual header pipes, like the Rinehart's, that are a lot better performer and ANY muffler can be slipped on behind them.

As for right now on my new SERG, I'm kind of digging the quiet stock mufflers.  At least I can hear my tunes quite easily.  Now all I need to do is get rid of the air noise with a good windshield.

Actually, the V&H true duals are better in low-range torque, but not as good in the upper rpm horsepower, as the Rinehart headers.  This is because the V&H are one diameter from the head all the way back to the muffler, whereas the Rineharts are Stepped (smaller at the head and step three times to a larger diameter at the muffler).  But in reality true duals, no matter the manufacturer will suffer in torgue and HP over 2-into-1 or the stock headers with cross-overs.  I have the V&H ovals on my SEUC and donot think they are overly loud and have a good sound.  They definitely aren't as loud as the 2-in-1 pro pipe I have on the Street Glide.  Loudness is subjective, to the individual's taste.  My best advice is to go out and look for different types of mufflers on different bikes and see what they sound like and then make your decision. 

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:58:10 AM »

Q) V&H Dresser Duals are head pipes, and are sold without slip-on mufflers.  The V&H website shows the Dresser Duals with a pair of Oval slip-on mufflers, which are relatively loud.

A)
Yes, Im running the oval slip on mufflers, just like the web site.   I will try or go with the low deep sounding option (I'll check your right up again) but I think they are called the monster ovals.

Thanks all. Thats perfect.  Good education too ...  :orange:

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:01:43 AM »

Q) V&H Dresser Duals are head pipes, and are sold without slip-on mufflers.  The V&H website shows the Dresser Duals with a pair of Oval slip-on mufflers, which are relatively loud.

A)
Yes, Im running the oval slip on mufflers, just like the web site.   I will try or go with the low deep sounding option (I'll check your right up again) but I think they are called the monster ovals.

Thanks all. Thats perfect.  Good education too ...  :orange:

Right on.  I think you will be pleased with that choice.  As mentioned last night, I've experienced them, and they sound nice to me.  Not as loud as the regular oval and a very deep "growl."  I have a set of Dresser Duals with SE Fishtail (Kerker) mufflers on my FLHR, and though I really like the set up......I was impressed enough by the Monster Ovals to consider changing mufflers.  Not sure what I'm going to do yet, since what I have works fine............but those Monster Ovals are REALLY nice.

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:52 AM »

Thanks HML ... would the current mapping be ok with the monster ovals ?   Or do I need a whole dyno tune ?   The current mapping is one my HArley shop downloaded.  Its not the race tune.  I forget whats its called. But they said its a tune for the current V&H regular ovals.   I would assume a dyno tune wouldnt be needed now once the monsters go on there ... ?

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:53:13 AM »

Thanks HML ... would the current mapping be ok with the monster ovals ?   Or do I need a whole dyno tune ?   The current mapping is one my HArley shop downloaded.  Its not the race tune.  I forget whats its called. But they said its a tune for the current V&H regular ovals.   I would assume a dyno tune wouldnt be needed now once the monsters go on there ... ?

From reading your post, it sounds like you have a dealer installed map in your ECM.....possibly Stage 1, which will be close with just a muffler swap, but if you want to realize the full potential of what you're doing, you're better off getting the bike tuned professionally by a competent tuner using his preferred tuning device.  I use a Power Commander III USB with a custom map on top of an ECM with a Stage 1 dealer installed map.  There are many great tuners across the country, and all have been discussed ad nauseum here.  My personal choice is Rod Cochran at Rod's Performance in Hanceville, AL.  Many here swear by John Golden.  John has tuned my bike before, but at the time he tuned it, my engine was not healthy, but it did run better when he was finished.  John is a great tuner, and a true master of his craft.  If I can ever get away from here long enough, I'd like to ride out to MO and at a minimum, get on his dyno for nothing more than a comparison run.
Anyway, you should be fine with what you have, but if I were in your boots, after I installed the Monster Ovals, I'd find a good tuner and get the bike custom tuned.

Blessed1

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide, Yellow Pearl
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »

Dan,

I have an 09 SERG and I bought a Klockwerks 10" windscreen that I really like.  I am 6' tall and the wind hits the top of my helmet, but the wind noise is "clean" and the design of the screen helps keep the front end down at interstate speeds. Under $200, too.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 01:23:55 PM »

I have the V&H round classic slip-on's, on stock head pipes. There pretty loud when you get on them, but once you get into a constant RPM they mellow out.

Craig

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.