Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Oil too slippery?  (Read 8144 times)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Oil too slippery?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 03:10:20 PM »

What you mention is straight across the industry not unique to Redline. They replace the detergant with more antiwear and antifoaming additives, usually. Redline makes a V-Twin oil and that would be the one to compare to similar offerings

paul p

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »

Hello all, I can assure you that bearing rolling element skid is a reality. The rolling element may skid in an application in which the bearing is loaded too lightly. The engineering calculations performed prior to a bearing being specified should take this issue into account, and it should never be so marginal that your choice in lubricant could effect it one way or the other. The danger lies in replacing bearings with those with much greater capacity to handle forces that are not present. My .02 as far as lubricant is concerned, use the best quality lube available (judgement call without report from a triboligist on that particular container of oil since quality may vary batch to batch). Synthetics become worth the added expense in high heat or high moisture environments. (the twin cam engine is almost sure to qualify for at least one of these conditions the majority of the time) Use the heaviest grade of oil that is recommended for the temperature range that you are operating in.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »

The discussion regarding bearing / race slipping occurred when the Teflon additives first came out for retail use if I recall. Slick50, etc.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Zig

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Citrus CR575 cams, K&N HF D&D Fatcats, custom map courtesy of Cycle-Rama.com
    • CVO2: TIME WILL TELL
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 01:44:59 AM »

I appreciate all the info on oils, including the white paper report sponsered by Amsoil.  If you can believe the report, Amsoil and Mobile One 50 wt are the top of the heap. 
My original question regarding bearing skate, apparently is something that no one reading and posting, so far, has had any experience with. My search continues...I hope it truly is just a myth.
Obviously, use of a particular oil is a matter of choice.  It only makes sense, that all should use the very best available, especially since the price difference is minimal.
2 YEARS 8 MONTHS 'till I M FREE!!!!!!!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »

I appreciate all the info on oils, including the white paper report sponsered by Amsoil.  If you can believe the report, Amsoil and Mobile One 50 wt are the top of the heap. 
My original question regarding bearing skate, apparently is something that no one reading and posting, so far, has had any experience with. My search continues...I hope it truly is just a myth.
Obviously, use of a particular oil is a matter of choice.  It only makes sense, that all should use the very best available, especially since the price difference is minimal.

I thought there have been several post saying that this was a myth?  :nixweiss:

Craig

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »

The answer should be obvious.  Over the years there have been approximately 150 bazillion quadrillion engines built with roller and/or ball bearings in them, not to mention all the transmissions (manual and automatic) also equipped with such bearings.  If bearing skate was a significant issue, you would certainly think at least one brave soul would have spoken out by now.

The real answer was given a couple posts back by paul p;  poorly fit bearings, poor quality bearings, and bearings that don't match the requirements of the component in question can skid and become flat spotted.  It doesn't matter if you use dino oil, synthetic oil, whale oil, or Oil of Olay; if the bearing isn't the right match for the application it will be likely to fail. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dejavo

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 03:02:42 PM »

GRC
I was hopeing to use that oil of olay in my new scoot. Can I get a case from you?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 04:24:44 PM »

GRC
I was hopeing to use that oil of olay in my new scoot. Can I get a case from you?

Darn, I wish you had let me know sooner.  Momma had to get rid of the Oil of Olay; the stuff was so slippery her head kept slipping off the pillow at night.  I suggested she go back to dino oil.

Jerry ::)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 07:17:26 PM »

Put some metal chips in the oil...........that will stop the skateing.  :nervous: The oil won't be so slippery then. :nixweiss:
John

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 07:41:49 PM »

Darn, I wish you had let me know sooner.  Momma had to get rid of the Oil of Olay; the stuff was so slippery her head kept slipping off the pillow at night.  I suggested she go back to dino oil.

Jerry ::)

:2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:

Howie, Howie, Howie! Bet you still have oil lamps lighting your house!  :huepfenlol2:

When you going to come over to the syn side?  :nixweiss:

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »

GRC

Tried oil of olay & it took all the wrinkles out of my wrinkle finished cases. ;)
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Zig

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Citrus CR575 cams, K&N HF D&D Fatcats, custom map courtesy of Cycle-Rama.com
    • CVO2: TIME WILL TELL
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2009, 12:08:11 AM »

U guys are killin me...
2 YEARS 8 MONTHS 'till I M FREE!!!!!!!

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2009, 12:17:34 AM »

Put some metal chips in the oil...........that will stop the skateing.  :nervous: The oil won't be so slippery then. :nixweiss:
John

I tried that & was not impressed with the results, the tow truck ride was boring.  Although, I am quite happy with my new motor at this point.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.