Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Anybody using a Thundermax?  (Read 6250 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Anybody using a Thundermax?
« on: June 21, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »

I just read some info on the Thundermax and I am interested in the system. Anybody using it and what are your opinions?? I heard you set the AFR to what you want it to be and the system adjusts as needed. That's essentially backwards of the TTS which you adjust fuel to get your AFR to what you would like it. The Thundermax sounds easier and may not require a dyno. I need more input about this system.....

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Anybody using a Thundermax?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 05:52:35 PM »

I have not heard anyone that did not like the thundermax TBW.  There are a few here who have them, I have the SSERT and am not happy with it.  Not because it is not capable but because it is hard to find a tuner who really knows what they are doing and will take the time to give you your moneys worth.
The tuner is only as good as the guy who manipulates it. 
That is why I am also looking at the thundermax TBW with auto-tune. 
The O2 sensors on the thunder max use wide band sensors vs the stock HD O2 sensors.
Do a search for thundermax TBW and you will find some posts from guys who have it.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »

The Thundermax use Bosch Broad Band sensors and not true wide band sensors. There is a very big difference between them! The Broad Band sensor from Bosch is made the same as the stock sensor with and extended measuring range but you must also correct the Broad Band sensor for temperature and pressure for it to be accurate.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »

Have one and it does a good job.My tunner does a nice job with them.jdo

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 06:32:29 PM »

I have had the Thundermax installed for a little better than two years now, ~10,000 miles.  It was the best investment i have ever made for my 103. Engine runs smooth, way cooler, miles per gal are up to ~42 -43 when i need them to be. I do not do much tinkering / tuning with it. I just ride it.
I had SS gear drive 570 cams installed last year, and all i did was reload a canned base tune from TM and rode it.  I will never pay for a retune again.

I had originally purchased the SERT and dyno tune from local Folsom HD shop, and was never satisfied. Over heating problems, pops, and poor starting ... they even tried to sell me a new starter and battery .. hahahah
SERT /tune was a waste of $800.    

Thundermax solved all my problems, did the install myself, and have never regretted it.
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:57:09 PM »

The only downside I see so far is that I either have to weld O2 bungs up near the heads and plug up my stock sensor holes, or buy a pipe from an 09 with the sensor location up high for the larger sensors. That and the $900 that the Thundermax costs!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 09:00:28 PM by mjb765 »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 10:29:27 PM »

The Thundermax use Bosch Broad Band sensors and not true wide band sensors. There is a very big difference between them! The Broad Band sensor from Bosch is made the same as the stock sensor with and extended measuring range but you must also correct the Broad Band sensor for temperature and pressure for it to be accurate.
Thanks Steve "TTS" Cole

So the thundermax sensors have an extended range.  More range would be better right?
By the way they advertise it as a "Wide-Band, Closed-Loop system" so that is were I got that.
The huge selling point to me is the autotune, and taking the giant variable of how capable/good/bad your dyno tuner is out of the equation. 

But I have not bought it yet...and your knowledge I greatly appreciate.     

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:11:00 PM by guppytrash »

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »

This maybe true, but it does not hamper the performance of the tuning product.

To answer the OP's question, yes I have a Tmax A/T on my bike which I ride almost every day. I like it and it doesn't give me any problems. My bike runs and idles smooth. My bike gets between 38 and 44 miles per gallon depending the traffic and the routes. My bike has just as much pull single or 2 up.
I have over 12000 miles on the Tmax A/T.

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »

Thanks for the response and info guys. I will be on the lookout for a 09 head pipe first before jumping to to the TMax. This may be an end of the summer or winter project depending on the $$$. This thing ain't cheap!

africa al

• Full CVO Member
  • Travel the road less travelled

• CVO1: CVO1 Black & Gold 2015
    • CVO2: CVO 2 Diamond Black & Slate Grey
    • CVO3: CVO 3 Sherwood Green & Aztec Black Road King SE6
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 02:30:30 PM »

After reading about Thundermax on this site and asking a lot of questions etc, I can now conclude best money spent so far on any of my bikes including high end custom choppers etc.

Fitted the 09 headpipes with 18mm sensors and the V&H Ho mufflers to my 2010 SG, Bike runs and sounds great with no problems what so ever. Well pleased with the mods to my bike. Have completed about 700 miles so far with the mods on various roads and weather conditions ( UK ) and bike runs great !!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »

I have the T-Max. I went with it because it was the best solution to all my Magnetti-Marelli issues without going carb. Tech support is improved from just a few years ago when it seemed that all they had was one or two guys who understood the system and could help you with it. Still, my biggest help comes from the folks on Harley Tech Talk who seem to know the system better than some of the folks at Zippers.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:23 PM »

Thanks for the response and info guys. I will be on the lookout for a 09 head pipe first before jumping to to the TMax. This may be an end of the summer or winter project depending on the $$$. This thing ain't cheap!
:cherry:

I have an '09 SE Ultra 110.  Last yr,  I had the V&H Power Dual setup installed and used Reinhart mufflers.

I have since sold the stock mufflers,  but I believe lurking still in my garage is a stock '09 head pipe.....Let me know if any interest. :drink: 

mgmmgm

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »

Check out cateye customs cor a Tmax

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 05:46:36 PM »

I have a ThunderMax on a Softail Convertible. So far I've only changed the mufflers. I love the fact that you can select a base map with the modifications done to your bike and that'll give you a starting point to autotune from there. I plan on putting in a cam this winter and all I have to do is select another base map with my cam and mufflers. It runs smoother, cooler and doesn't cough like it used to. Software is very easy to use. I like it because I don't have to hire someone to tune it every I want to make a change. The dealers in my area are not too great.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 07:12:03 PM »

I have a ThunderMax on a Softail Convertible. So far I've only changed the mufflers. I love the fact that you can select a base map with the modifications done to your bike and that'll give you a starting point to autotune from there. I plan on putting in a cam this winter and all I have to do is select another base map with my cam and mufflers. It runs smoother, cooler and doesn't cough like it used to. Software is very easy to use. I like it because I don't have to hire someone to tune it every I want to make a change. The dealers in my area are not too great.

That's an optimistic evaluation of the "autotune."  Not that I dislike the device but it's not that automatic.  At least not to really dial your bike in.  And especially for a cam change. 

The unit chases and changes fuel settings.  Doesn't touch timing settings at all.  So whatever timing curve whatever tuner settled on with whatever bike they were working with is what you're stuck with.  It's never absolutely dialed in to your bike and its configuration.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.