Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailer wiring  (Read 892 times)

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
Trailer wiring
« on: March 26, 2006, 04:57:44 PM »

I recently purchased a Bustec hidden hitch on e-bay & it came w/ the wiring isolator which protects the bike's wiring. However it only has 4 outputs, left signal, right signal, "tail" & a ground. It has 5 inputs (lt sig, rt sig, tail, stop & ground) but only 4 out, I'm assuming that's for combined tail & running lights. Now my bike (& my new trailer I just bought) has 4 functions, left sig, right sig, running lights, brake plus a ground. I don't think this isolator will work, will it? Does anybody know who makes a 5 function one? This ones made by Hoppy Ind, but I can't find anything like it on the 'net.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Trailer wiring
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 05:59:47 PM »

Bungy,
I don't know the answer to your question but I'd suggest calling Bushtec or send them an email.  John Preston the CEO will probably answer your email personally.  John is a great guy to deal with and I just recently sent an email to them about getting a hitch installed on my SEUC after it comes in.  I sent the email to the generic info address and John answered it within minutes.  They should be able to five you all the information you need to get the job done.
Bob
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

tmo465

• Junior CVO Member
  • 05 SE Glide,,,niceeee eeeeee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:03:44 AM »

Bungy....

I run the Hoppy isolater and thats how mine is,,,,5 in, 4 out,,,,everything works fine.

Tom

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »

tmo465;

Your trailer must have combined stop/signal lights, mine are independent. The units "converts" 5 wire input to 4 wire output. After much headache, I figured out that this thing is useless to me, I need to get an "isolator" from Bushtec (or somebody) that effectively isolates the trailer wiring from the bike. Also apparently I need a load equalizer so the security module doesn't see the extra amperage.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 07:06:56 PM »

Bungy,
Sounds like the output of four would be Lt signal Rt signal/ brakes, 1 for ground,1 for tail lights. The plug may have the convertor built into it like a lot of the GMC plugs have now. Power it up with your bike and test your outputs with a meter to see if that is how it's set up. I havent looked into the company that made it, but from past experiance, that's most likely what the deal is.
Mark [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 09:45:08 PM »

bungy call bushtec and talk to John he a nice system.  I us their isolator on my 06 and it works great,  I pull a legend trailer.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
    • AB

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 01:19:21 AM »

Thaks all;

I e-mailed Bushtec, I guess the thing I've got is a "converter". It converts a 5-wire input to a 4-wire output (if your trailer has combined tail/brake lights). My lights are independent, so this thing useless to me. Anybody want to buy it cheap?

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 07:56:45 PM »

It's not necessarily useless IF you hook the brakes and the turns up together so they both work doing each thing.  Sometimes it's a good look, sometimes it's not.  I've seen it done both ways.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 21 queries.