Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Better flowing alternative to SE Ventilator?  (Read 8247 times)

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2010 R1200RT
    • CVO3: 1985 Ducati MHR Mille
Better flowing alternative to SE Ventilator?
« on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:27 PM »

Are there any aftermarket filter setups that have marked improved airflow over the SE Ventilator which, I believe, comes stock on the 2011 110 models?  I'm not interested in appearance, just if an investment would result in increased performance.  This would be in conjunction with a free flowing exhaust/muffler combination.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Better flowing alternative to SE Ventilator?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 01:13:33 AM »

The Ventilator actually has excellent flow.  The HD (and other) heavy breathers may have slightly better peak flow.   There were dicussions / threads on this in '09 when it came out. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »

Are there any aftermarket filter setups that have marked improved airflow over the SE Ventilator which, I believe, comes stock on the 2011 110 models?  I'm not interested in appearance, just if an investment would result in increased performance.  This would be in conjunction with a free flowing exhaust/muffler combination.

Check out Exotx air filter http://www.exotx.com/
I tested this filter on a mule bike and Exotx air filter made 2 hp and 2 tq better than the all the other popular performance filters on the market. The Exotx filter never needs oiling, takes no drying time after a wash, filters better than the typical gauze filters, and you will never need to buy another filter again.
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:39:37 AM »

For that kind of money it should add 20 HP. JMO kb
kb

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »

For that kind of money it should add 20 HP. JMO kb

Damn.  $90 for an air filter.  Now Harley will see someone else charging that much and HD prices will go up to be competitive....

twojay

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »

I tested this filter on a mule bike and Exotx air filter made 2 hp and 2 tq better than the all the other popular performance filters on the market. The Exotx filter never needs oiling, takes no drying time after a wash, filters better than the typical gauze filters, and you will never need to buy another filter again.
Doc
I had contacted Exotx after reading your previous posts. Unfortunately you cannot simply swap out the filter in the Ventilator for one of theirs as they do not make a filter that will fit.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »

I had contacted Exotx after reading your previous posts. Unfortunately you cannot simply swap out the filter in the Ventilator for one of theirs as they do not make a filter that will fit.

Yes I realize that however I am working on Mark to start offering that style filter.....he is just getting this company of the ground floor and I'm sure the Ventilator style will be available down the road. (for those who can afford it that is.... :coolblue:)
Doc
Doc's Performance Tuning

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »

(for those who can afford it that is.... :coolblue:)

Sometimes it's not about ability but (common sense) choice....

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »

You guys seriously think $90 is too much for a superior performing filter that NEVER NEEDS REPLACING? Especially since Doc said it picks up 2hp/2tq, I'd say that's a bargain.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:45 AM »

You guys seriously think $90 is too much for a superior performing filter that NEVER NEEDS REPLACING? Especially since Doc said it picks up 2hp/2tq, I'd say that's a bargain.

The Ventilator's filter is re-usable also.  If you're a number chaser, 2hp/2Tq is probably worth it.  But that is such a negligible increase, my "butt dyno" would never notice that, and not worth the $90 cost.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »

Doc

I'm a little confused...  If the filter isn't the choke point for airflow, how would just changing the filter (or running none at all for that matter) effect HP and torque?  Secondly, I can see how this might affect the higher RPM ranges, but are there any documented changes in the 2K to 4.5K RPM range?

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »

Sometimes it's not about ability but (common sense) choice....

Yea like all the junk you buy ........ you're living in a glass house....twolanerider
Every one on this forum knows that if you suggested this filter it woiuld be a GREAT idea...
Doc's Performance Tuning

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2011, 01:47:46 PM »

Stick with the Ventilator.  It's probably the best compromise between effective filtration, decent flow, and ergonomics.  Hanging a bigger filter on the side of the engine and then banging your leg or knee on it all the time isn't worth it.  Best bang for the buck, open up the exhaust a bit and find a really good tuner.  A good tune will do a lot more for performance and driveability than any magic "free horsepower" parts. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »

Yea like all the junk you buy ........ you're living in a glass house....twolanerider
Every one on this forum knows that if you suggested this filter it woiuld be a GREAT idea...

I use K&N filters.  Didn't know they were junk.  Though they don't cost 90 dollars.  So, in comparison, maybe they are.  I also wasn't the first to comment on the price on this one.  Then again I wasn't the first to cop an attitude nor was I (potentially) a vendor for the product being suggested.  

Having thought through all that, however, ninety damn dollars is still a lot of money for an air filter.  I'll keep using the K&N "junk" to filter the air in my glass house.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 04:02:42 PM »

Not that anyone asked my opinion (and when has that ever stopped me?), but I tend to lump a stainless steel air filter in with those stainless steel oil filters that also claim power increases.  Yup, unless you're ham fisted enough to poke a hole in one, they'll probably last forever.  Of course, the same goes for a properly maintained K&N.  BUT, unless there is some magic superconducting electromagnetic force field that they neglected to mention in the sales pitch, the higher (claimed) flow comes at the expense of effective filtration, just like that metal mesh oil filter.  If the aim is to just maximize flow without regard for other factors, then I submit I can save the $90 plus $130 for the back plate, and the $200-$300 for the oil filter, and just not run filters.  Definitely won't have any filter induced power losses that way.  BTW, how about one of those velocity stacks that were all the rage on the carb bikes many years back?  No restriction, and you could get a nice metal screen for those to keep the boulders out that wouldn't affect flow much.  Looked fine on those show bikes, sucked (pun intended) big time on a real street bike.

I'll repeat my earlier suggestion; stick with the Ventilator for the best compromise between effective filtration, flow, and ergonomics if you plan to actually ride the bike on a regular basis.  If you want to spend your money on something, buy a K&N element for it, $59.95 MSRP at your friendly Harley store. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »

I use K&N filters.  Didn't know they were junk.  Though they don't cost 90 dollars.  So, in comparison, maybe they are.  I also wasn't the first to comment on the price on this one.  Then again I wasn't the first to cop an attitude nor was I (potentially) a vendor for the product being suggested.  

Having thought through all that, however, ninety damn dollars is still a lot of money for an air filter.  I'll keep using the K&N "junk" to filter the air in my glass house.

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D :P
Doc's Performance Tuning

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »

You have to admit, Don....with the typical bad weather that rolls thru Joplin (not to mention the random rock throwing)....your owning a glass house would be akin to owning junk.  So I see Doc's point.   :2vrolijk_21:

I just can't believe you live in a glass house and haven't talked it up.  Is it a secret glass house?   :nixweiss:   Is there a reason you haven't tried to talk us all in to buying a glass house of our own?   :nixweiss:   Sheep that we are, I'd sure that one by one we would all line up to get one if you thought it was a good idea.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 08:13:46 PM »

Seriously?  Personally I disagree.  The K&N's (for but one example) can be cleaned and reused almost ad infinitum (relative to our duty cycles).  So there's no practical gain there.  And 2/2 on a dyno is something I'd never feel in the seat of my pants, would never notice in increased efficiencies at the gas pump and is an amount small enough it could bo so easily manipulated on a dyno I'd honestly not worry about that.  I'm just not that anal about every last quantum of power/performance.  Sometimes pretty damn good really is good enough and that realization can save a guy a lot of money (in this case 90 bucks) when its opposed to wanting everything.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:20:42 PM by Twolanerider »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20:04 PM »

You have to admit, Don....with the typical bad weather that rolls thru Joplin (not to mention the random rock throwing)....your owning a glass house would be akin to owning junk.  So I see Doc's point.   :2vrolijk_21:

I just can't believe you live in a glass house and haven't talked it up.  Is it a secret glass house?   :nixweiss:   Is there a reason you haven't tried to talk us all in to buying a glass house of our own?   :nixweiss:   Sheep that we are, I'd sure that one by one we would all line up to get one if you thought it was a good idea.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Scott, buddy, I'm embarassed to admit the truth.  And was hoping it would never come up here publicly among a group so adamentine in apparently following my lead.  Because.... well.... there's a problem with the glass house.  One of those "good plan but poor execution" things.  It's.... well....   damn....  the bathroom.  Standing there trying to tend to one's business with the whole world potentially watching (I'm sure's there's a SAT in geostationary orbit looking down) is just a lot of pressure.  More than I can cope with.  I haven't peed in three years :bigcry: .

CTcvorider

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »

Scott, buddy, I'm embarassed to admit the truth.  And was hoping it would never come up here publicly among a group so adamentine in apparently following my lead.  Because.... well.... there's a problem with the glass house.  One of those "good plan but poor execution" things.  It's.... well....   damn....  the bathroom.  Standing there trying to tend to one's business with the whole world potentially watching (I'm sure's there's a SAT in geostationary orbit looking down) is just a lot of pressure.  More than I can cope with.  I haven't peed in three years :bigcry: .

Now that's an image that's just plain funny!! 

I have to agree with Twolanerider; performance increases that could only be measured in strict laboratory conditions aren't worth the money in practical street use.  There's something to be said for knowing you have the very best (like the guy with the stereo amp/speakers that have perfect reproduction at 50cps but he can't hear anything below 150cps) but just owning a CVO gives me a large measure of that satisfaction already. 

That's why I asked the question in the first place -- I wanted to know if there was a 'reasonable' performance advantage.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 08:43:11 PM »

Seriously?  Personally I disagree.  The K&N's (for but one example) can be cleaned and reused almost ad infinitum (relative to our duty cycles).  So there's no practical gain there.  And 2/2 on a dyno is something I'd never feel in the seat of my pants, would never notice in increased efficiencies at the gas pump and is an amount small enough it could bo so easily manipulated on a dyno I'd honestly not worry about that.  I'm just not that anal about every last quantum of power/performance.  Sometimes pretty damn good really is good enough and that realization can save a guy a lot of money (in this case 90 bucks) when its opposed to wanting everything.

Actually, it's not $90, it's more like $220 after you buy the $130 back plate to go with the $90 filter.  And then you have to come up with a cover on top of that (their end caps, which aren't really covers, run about $120 for polished). The original post was about replacing a Ventilator, so this solution would require a new back plate and cover along with the filter.  Figure about $300 minimum for very little if any improvement over the parts that come with the bike.

I'd still like to see some unbiased independent testing of things like actual flow at standard pressures, and actual filtration results using fine dust, not the coarse dust (gravel?) mentioned in the ad.  It's easy to make claims that aren't supported by independent and verifiable testing; lots of folks selling lots of products do it every day. 

Jerry

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »

And I'm guessing a severe lack of sleep - one eye open - constant nightmares - worries of Earnest T. Bass paying a moon light visit....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:22:04 PM »

Whatever, but I know there are lots of people that spend WAY more to get an extra couple hp/ft lbs. Some buy slip ons just for this reason, some buy whole AC assemblies, and many spend the $60 on a K&N.

As far as spending hundreds on the whole assembly, I was under the impression this is a direct swap for the round Stage 1 type filter, no?

And, IF it does flow and filter better, and IF it really does deliver the extra 2/2, and it can be run without worrying about rain covers or it getting wet, than it's easily worth another $30 over a K&N....IMO, or course.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:30:51 PM by North Star »
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »

And, IF it does flow and filter better, and IF it really does deliver the extra 2/2, and it can be run without worrying about rain covers or it getting wet, than it's easily worth another $30 over a K&N....IMO, or course.

All those questions should likely be directed to Doc.  Seemed like he likely is or is going to be a source for them.  K&Ns must have gone up since the last one I bought also.  Pretty sure I paid around $30 last time.  Even if not $90 crosses my pucker factor line for an air filter.  Probably turns that pucker inside out with all the other accoutrements Jerry detailed.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 09:40:00 PM »

I, as usual, agree with Twolane and GRC. $90 or whatever is to much for a filter with apparently inferior (to K&N) filtration.  Also who was the Dyno guy who did at least three pulls with both at the same temp, time of day, humidity  to really be able to verify the minor 2HP / 2TQ? Bet that guy sells the new filter.

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 10:37:11 PM »

When I first saw the Exotx logo I thought, perhaps, this guy was or somehow related to Exotic, a guy that did good mill work in the 90's making Panhead style rocker boxes for Evo's.

Anyway, 100 bucks plus the backing plate, then the cover.......better REALLY like it for 2HP.  At least the K&N has been proven in battle.

And finally, can you say V E N T I L A T O R.....or is that VEN-TWO-LANE-TOR..... :o............. ;D
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »

And finally, can you say V E N T I L A T O R.....or is that VEN-TWO-LANE-TOR..... :o............. ;D

Now that's funny.

VEN-TWO-LANE-TOR
 :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 02:49:14 PM »

When I first saw the Exotx logo I thought, perhaps, this guy was or somehow related to Exotic, a guy that did good mill work in the 90's making Panhead style rocker boxes for Evo's.

Anyway, 100 bucks plus the backing plate, then the cover.......better REALLY like it for 2HP.  At least the K&N has been proven in battle.

Spew Score Today 

Twolane          0
Site                1

:huepfenlol2:

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2011, 08:46:24 PM »

Sorry, Twolane, old buddy, I couldn't resist......... :2vrolijk_21:
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »

Sorry, Twolane, old buddy, I couldn't resist......... :2vrolijk_21:

It's ok.  But after that big laugh I'm sure I pulled something.  Gawd I hope I don't need a Doc ::) .

RJW

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE5d #506
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »

LOL  :-X
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 21 queries.