Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: lower speaker grill faded already  (Read 9338 times)

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
lower speaker grill faded already
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »

I've had my bike for 5 months and have noticed the right side lower speaker grill looks like chit! Almost as if it was powdercoated and the paint didn't stick. Dealer has ordered me a new one, going on 5 weeks now for backorder. The other side is fine. And no, I didn't use any cleaner on it. Any one else had this problem?

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
Re: lower speaker grill faded already
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:09:09 PM »

both of my lowers and tweeter grills have faded ,ordered new ones,also my friend that has the same bike is worse than mine

Ranger

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:47 AM »

One of my tweeter grills is fading....
2018 CVO StreetGlide

jcd520

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 03:59:27 PM »

It is the orange. Too hot. Burning it up from the inside out.

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »

I've had my bike for 5 months and have noticed the right side lower speaker grill looks like chit! Almost as if it was powdercoated and the paint didn't stick. Dealer has ordered me a new one, going on 5 weeks now for backorder. The other side is fine. And no, I didn't use any cleaner on it. Any one else had this problem?

:worthless:

nuckelhead

• Full CVO Member
  • if it ain't broke... take it off and chrome it!!!!

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE / BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

please post pics.  are the grills just siver metallic under the black powdercoat? gonna keep a close eye on mine
everything i own has been stolen and then replaced with exact replicas....

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »

Get them powder coated, impervious to about everything or paint to match.  Hell of a thing to tell someone that just put out 30K or more but until the factory does it right this is the fix.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »

My replacement grill finally came in and got it installed this weekend. Also had them set up the Chirping for the alarm (I read the book and tried to do it, but nothing happened). I got to ride all weekend and now have 6,000 miles on her. Love the way it handles. Even road in rain today and got the bike totally filthy. Going to take a full day to clean her up!

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 09:53:33 AM »

pics

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:54:32 AM »

more pics

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 03:56:54 PM »

It has now happened to mine.  7,500 miles and all six speaker covers look like chit!  My stealer service manager says that tech support isn't getting back to him.  He took pictures and supposedly called tech support a week ago.  I told him he has until tonight or I will go into action and use any means available to get this resolved. 
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

jcd520

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »

To be clear here ,I am not accusing anyone of anything ,Just asking a question--------- is it possible that some kind of cleaner you are using caused this? Do you leave your bike out in the sun all the time, or is this just a case of the paint not sticking and literally flaking off the speaker grill? I have never seen anything like this before.

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:22 PM »

To be clear here ,I am not accusing anyone of anything ,Just asking a question--------- is it possible that some kind of cleaner you are using caused this? Do you leave your bike out in the sun all the time, or is this just a case of the paint not sticking and literally flaking off the speaker grill? I have never seen anything like this before.

I am retired so the bike does not go to work daily but sits in the garage.  Bought it in August 2010 and now has 7,777 miles on it so it does see the sun while going down the road.  No special cleaners used on the bike at all.  I use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash to wash the bike with and Harley Gloss.  The grills are now bluish silver in color with blotches of the original black as can be seen in previous posts..
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 05:40:43 PM »

I've got about 6,500 miles on mine (Since Dec 2010) and after replacing the right lower speaker grill, it appears as thought the left one has now started to fade. It is not pealing, rather the black color just kind of fades away. I do not get the speakers wet while washing. I guess it will be another trip back to the dealer for yet another replacement. (PS: I LOVE MY DEALERSHIP, I CAN SAY THEY TAKE CARE OF ME, NO ISSUES!)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 07:12:22 AM »

I've got a couple of sets of aftermarket grills coming in to see if I can find a good replacement. I originally wanted to use the set that came with my Hertz MLK-165s but the grills are too big for the factory opening. I'll post up if I find a set that can be easily ordered.

My goal for finding a replacement set has nothing to do with my stock grills fading (they aren't - yet); but has everything to do with the placement of the HD logo on the stock grill. For any good/high quality replacement speaker (coax - not component) the mid/tweeter will sit right behind the stock emblem. The stock emblem is big enough to hurt the dispersion of that driver in the replacment speaker. While it's arguable on whether mid/tweets can be heard in that location at speed or not, why knowingly hamper the performance of the replacment speaker?

For any replacement grill I find, I'm also going to try and keep the stock emblem - just move it to lower-center instead of exact center.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.