Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield Recommendations  (Read 1862 times)

Jerry/MD

Windshield Recommendations
« on: August 14, 2011, 11:12:32 AM »

After my first two weeks on this bike I feel a slightly shorter windshield is needed. At 5' 9" I'm right at the limit for looking over the top. So, any reccommendations from those of you who are a similar height?

Jerry

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Windshield Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »

After my first two weeks on this bike I feel a slightly shorter windshield is needed. At 5' 9" I'm right at the limit for looking over the top. So, any reccommendations from those of you who are a similar height?

Jerry

I put the Cee Bailey CVO version on mine, and like it.  It's their 15" version.  I'm 5'8", and could have probably used the 14", but the way the CB is designed, it works for me unless I'm going up a hill, then I'm looking through it. In the twisties, I'm looking around it.  A lot of folks have tried several different brands on the RG, I'm sure some will chime in with what works for them.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Jerry/MD

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:23:12 PM »

I put the Cee Bailey CVO version on mine, and like it.  It's their 15" version.  I'm 5'8", and could have probably used the 14", but the way the CB is designed, it works for me unless I'm going up a hill, then I'm looking through it. In the twisties, I'm looking around it.  A lot of folks have tried several different brands on the RG, I'm sure some will chime in with what works for them.

Thanks! A 15" version would be perfect. 14" might work too, but I don't want to go too low.

Jerry

SEURG

• Senior CVO Member
  • Deals Gap

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »

I installed a Windvest and really likely.it NASA slight Curve at the top pushing the wind up and over the top of me.  I'm 6'3" so ordered the 16".  Should have gone with the 15" as the top is just below my line of site.  That said, you might be in good shape with the 14"

LoneStar CVO

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »

One of the first mods to mine was a 15" tinted Windvest.  I'm also 5'9" and it fits me perfectly (got lucky on the first try).  Can see over the top well.  It's slightly shorter than the 16" factory shield but the curved lip pushes the air over the top of my helmet.  The wind on the factory shield was hitting me right about eye level.  I haven't really had any buffetting issues with it and the BSR's haven't complained of any either.  I used to ride with a sheepskin cover on my '03 Ultra.  If I go that route, I may have to move up to the 16" screen.

Good luck with the process.

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 12:06:34 PM »

I went with a Clearview.  Couldn't be happier - in fact I'm thinking about getting one or two more from them - different heights for different looks/conditions.  Nice option to add a mid-screen vent to reduce turbulence even more.

I got a 15" light tint with recurve.  Excllent for the 1800 miles to Sturgis.  Very nice clean pocket.  I'm 6'2" and looking either through or over I have very clean air.  I think I could use an inch lower but I needed a screen in a hurry.  Mark at Clearview found a "blem" that I still can find no fault with, even after being told exactly where to look.  It came exactly as promised, and I was happy to have it for the long ride (5000 miles in two weeks).

Awesome quality and customer service.  Saw them in Sturgis and referred two co-riders to them for batwing shields - both came away very pleased with the product.

Lonerider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »

I went with a Cee Bailey Superstep Contour Dome, 14" because I liked the looks.  Provides as much wind protection as the stock 16" and I can see over it much better.  I am 5'9" w 30" inseam.  Wind hits me with this shield at top of helmet.  15" would also have worked for me with probably slightly better wind protection but I was looking for a combination of looks and function and this one did it for me.

Folks at Cee Bailey told me that the Cee Glide offers the best performance in terms of wind protection but the contour was close.
2011 SERGU
Fullsac X Pipe
V&H Monster Ovals
Andrews 54 Cams
.030 head gasket
TTS Master Tune & dyno tuned
Cee Bailey 14" Super Step Contour Windshield

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »

I put a clearview on mine and after the ride home from AZ Bikeweek noticed bubbles appearing around the screws turns out the black srip/mask is a decal spoke with the guys at Clearview and they suggested a fix which didnt help they then sent me a  new decal gonna replace it once it gets too ugly to bear but i see a $130 chrome trim piece in my future The guys at clearview have tried very hard to help very  good to deal with but I dont think I would have purchased it if I knew it was just a decal.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 06:22:50 PM by kiwihog »
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 22 queries.