Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Exhaust decisions overload. Which one? Need help.  (Read 8007 times)

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: Exhaust decisions overload. Which one? Need he
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:57 PM »

I have 4 sets of pipes including my stock pipes but are not really counted as they are crap, it is actually just the mufflers that are crap as the bike would not go at all & sounded like a moped, a simple change to SE Slip-ons & wow! what a difference, goes great & sounds like a Harley. 2 would be my V&H big shot staggered sounds great also & seem to perform the same as the slip-ons & 3 my favourite are the Lake Pipes they sound awsome (window rattlers) & once again seem to perform the same as the others. I just need to make them about 8 - 10 inches longer so they at least end at the swingarm pivot bolt . Then I think they will look a lot better.

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 06:19:09 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2006, 06:30:10 PM »

Did you feel a performance increase in the seat of the dyno pants over the stock exhaust? It might not be so bad if the pipe doesn’t perform as well as the other pipes out there as long as it definitely performs better than stock.

Adrian,

Yes, there is a seat of the pants gain in performance over stock, especially from 3200 rpm and up with these pipes.  If you just go with the pipes and not the thunder baffles (which are $80) you will notice a little drop off in low end torque in the 1000-3000 range.  If you add the thunder city monster baffles you will gain it back and a little more.  The pipes sound awesome at idle and on the throttle, not quite as low a tone as rinehart but they give you a sound similar to what I think is "a drag car".  They're hard to beat for a real custom look and can be had for just over $500 with heat shields.  Let us know which ones you choose, and don't forget
 [smiley=worthless.gif]

longshot

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2006, 10:25:58 PM »

Ausse, I got The ones in the number 2 jpg. Those Lake Pipes look awesome!!!!  To each his own but the thunder header needs a little Quality built into the appearance. You have to stay on top of them constantly, They rust at the not so perfect welds and the over all chromming sucks. They do sound good and are good performers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 10:46:06 PM by longshot »

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2006, 10:49:34 PM »

Ausse, I got The ones in the number 2 jpg. Those Lake Pipes look awesome!!!!  To each his own but the thunder header needs a little Quality built into the appearance. You have to stay on top of them constantly, They rust at the not so perfect welds and the over all chromming sucks. They do sound good and are good performers.

They look pretty sweet too! Hope they don't scrape on the road they look a bit low!

Cheers Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

RATKING

• Enjoy the Ride; Get Back Safe!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 08:09:24 AM »

Continuing on the Thunderheader saga, there is only 1 canned SE Fat Boy map that comes with the SERT.  Using this map as a basis, to start, the bikes were programmed with the same map and we played.  We have not dyno tuned anything yet, this was the basis.  As mine was the only "tuned" 2 into 1 pipe, I am sure I was at the greatest disadvantage with the canned program, and yet I put out more power.  It also means I have more to gain; I am in the process of finetuning the map now.  Regardless of what a dyno figure will show, this is a real life seat-of-the-pants dyno session, and the Thunderheader had them beat.  Certainly we aren't going to question the 2 into 1 vs 2 into 2 scenario again.  For power, the 2 into 1's are simply the better pipe.  As I said in the beginning, Harley exhausts are a very personal matter; you can run whatever you want.  But if I am going to change my pipes, I want to make it worthwhile; I want a performance edge.  

[smiley=soapbox.gif]

longshot

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 11:43:50 PM »

Continuing on the [highlight]Thunderheader saga, there is only 1 canned SE Fat Boy map that comes with the SERT.  Using this map as a basis, to start, the bikes were programmed with the same map and we played.  We have not dyno tuned anything yet, this was the basis.  As mine was the only "tuned" 2 into 1 pipe, I am sure I was at the greatest disadvantage with the canned program, and yet I put out more power.  It also means I have more to gain; I am in the process of finetuning the map now.  Regardless of what a dyno figure will show, this is a real life seat-of-the-pants dyno session, and the Thunderheader had them beat.  Certainly we aren't going to question the 2 into 1 vs 2 into 2 scenario again.  For power, the 2 into 1's are simply the better pipe.  As I said in the beginning, Harley exhausts are a very personal matter; you can run whatever you want.  But if I am going to change my pipes, I want to make it worthwhile; I want a performance edge.[/highlight]  

So are you saying that reguardless of what the dyno says, You know better? What's the since of spending the money on the dyno? Sounds to me you're saying if you're happy with the #'s You'll brag and if you're not they dont't mean anything!! Had an old lady a lot like that once .

[smiley=soapbox.gif]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 11:44:45 PM by longshot »

aabokla

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2006, 06:52:54 AM »

Well, I ordered the Big Radius pipes, power commander, and thunder monster 2002 baffle yesterday. Both are coming in on July 5th. I can hardly wait. [smiley=banana.gif] I figured that worst case scenario, I’m out some bucks but at least I’ll then know if the Big Radius will suffice it on the power side of things for me. With the 2-1 pipes I’d always be wondering IF the extra ponies were the right enough decision over style. And it’s not like I can’t ever change the pipe out if I want. I was reminded of that reading through Aussie’s collection. By the way Aussie, the lake’s look good.

Street Stalker – I ordered the thunder monster baffle 2002, thanks for the recommendation. Actually I guess I should have ordered two baffles one for each pipe, correct?

Who know’s? I may still end up with a small collection in my garage as well and I think I'm okay with that. I think that no matter what, It’s going to be a fun ride.

Now for project #2, finding a hot chick to ride on the back.

I’ll post some pics once I get the pipes put on and I get my seat back from Corbin.

Thanks
Adrian

Street Stalker

• Junior CVO Member
  • All show and no go, but about to change
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2006, 08:34:55 PM »

Street Stalker – I ordered the thunder monster baffle 2002, thanks for the recommendation. Actually I guess I should have ordered two baffles one for each pipe, correct?

No, they come as a pair.  Congrats on your decision, I think you'll be happy.  Funny, I have a 2-1 rinehart pipe hanging on the wall in my collection.  I thought I wanted the performance also, but after I tried it, I just could'nt get into the look or sound, and the performance was not any better than my big radius.

If you need help finding a map to get you by until you find a dyno, let me know, I can steer you to one that will work.

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2006, 09:25:20 PM »

Fatboyse2 – How do your pipes sound? I’ve only heard one 2-1 system on a Harley and it was the pro-pipe on an 88. The guy said he loved the performance of the pipe but hated the look, but since when he was driving he couldn’t see the pipe, he had learned to live with it. I found a sound clip of a fatcat but I don’t think I’m getting the full impression of what they sound like.

AA, They sound great! and as you can see the performance ain't bad either 8-)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 08:33:08 AM »

I say V&H 2 in 1 Pro Pipes. Sounds deep and performance is well documented. Get a SERT and find a great tuner. You wont be disappointed.
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

purple haze

• PURPLE HAZE
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 10:29:03 AM »

i have 06 screamin eagle fat boy and 103cc ,but im running D&D boarzilla they are bad ass! plus s.e.r.t and screamin eagle 8mm plug wires,thats it!! so i had my bike dynoed because it was running lean, i can not e-mail my specs but with what i have im making 100hp and torqe the D&D boarzillas look good too because they are up-swept so you can lean into curves ,they look a lot better than fat-cat , i know they say you need at least 107 cubic inch but they are perfect for me and know engine work just pipes s.e.r.t. and $15.00 plug wires and had it dynoed so any way its your call but i like my 100H.P bike , and knowing no one has changed my cam or throttle body, these pipes are expensive but you pay to play, go to there web site and look at some dyno runs on diffrent bikes, also they are loud but good loud , i have race baffle in mine , so good luck and please dont let someone talk you out of screamin eagle race tuner you get what you pay for!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-)
TOM

purple haze

• PURPLE HAZE
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »

one more thing what else did that guy do to his motor to make 112H.P ,I know mine is stock 103cubic inch, how much more did he spend and do for that extra 12H.P :-? mine is true blue 100H.P with D&D , s.e.r.t , plug wires, so tell the truth and set your ass free!!!!! ::)
TOM

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 12:27:33 PM »

one more thing what else did that guy do to his motor to make 112H.P ,I know mine is stock 103cubic inch, how much more did he spend and do for that extra 12H.P :-? mine is true blue 100H.P with D&D , s.e.r.t , plug wires, so tell the truth and set your ass free!!!!! ::)

Open your wallet and pull out the gold card...here's all you need to do http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1148413441

purple haze

• PURPLE HAZE
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 09:35:33 PM »

to me i know my 100H.P is coming from stock c.v.o , with D&D boarzilla , s.e.r.t , and blew my gold card on $15.00 8mm plug wires, i like to haul ass and show out, but im not going to spend $6,000.00 for 14HP, you might pull me some but i will be right with you , also i dont want to screw up my warranty, or blow another part. Its not that i dont have the money , i just want a good running machine, once you start getting inside your motor other problems pop up, but hey you sound like you got the cash to burn, so it doesnt matter when you pop your drive belt with all that power, and im betting you have done the infamous smokey burn out , i spent $30,000.00 on my sled and i want to be competent i can ride from TEXAS to NOVA SCOTIA and back. ahhhh what the hell im jealous you are making 14HP on me. GOOD LUCK!! mine is going stay same, but my color is more rarer,  purple silver black and red.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]  
TOM

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 09:49:48 PM »

:)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.