Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Saddle Bags Falling Off  (Read 51638 times)

Brian K

Re: Saddle Bags Falling Off
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2012, 06:49:40 PM »

I think the only solution is a class action lawsuit against the motor company. I went over the bike with a friend that is an expert HD mechanic ( and I mean expert- not a delaer prima donna!) and the lacthing system is flawed. The last bag I had fall off, he and I put on together. The latch was locked and all points were securely on. This is a real issue and the only way it will be fixed is through legal action. The motor company has had issues with the 103 and 110 motors for years now and has done nothing to correct them. Welding flywheel plates together is not an answer HDI!!

tttdoc

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 07:40:52 PM »

As sad as this is, my husband and I had read this string prior to picking up my 2012 CVO Convertible 3 days ago.  When the dealer rep was going through the bike with me and showing me how to detach/reattach everything my husband specifically said to the guy "make sure that bag is back on correctly, we have seen multiple reports of them falling off".  So, fast forward about an hour later when my husband was riding it home and I was following him in my car (I take my riding lessons next month).......sure enough, not two miles from the dealer, off pops the right bag  :o (the same one demonstrated to me earlier)......I slam on my breaks (almost getting rear-ended in the process), pull over and chase down the bag.  We immediately returned to the dealer.  Both the sales manager and the rep who was working with us were very apologetic and they are ordering me a new one (on them).  They are making it right, but really?  I would like to think you would be able to get a CVO home from the dealer without parts falling off.  I am giving serious consideration to the zip-tie option.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2012, 08:03:33 PM »

Only solution a class action lawsuit...Really...Wow
Alan

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 08:15:17 PM »

Wow

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 11:28:00 PM »

I know that once this has happened to you it shakes your confidence in the future reliability of having the bags stay securely on the bike.  Until the MoCo comes up with a better fix, I am a big believer in the zip ties.  I have been cross country a couple of times now and I don't fear loading them or hitting a big bump and seeing one fly off the bike.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »

plain and simple ... the bag wasn't installed correctly
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2012, 01:37:24 AM »

I am very sorry, but after once again closely inspecting the locking mechanism, in my opinion ( I am no expert, but I do own the bike) if it is installed properly..with the lock "clicked" in, and you double check it, I cannot see how it could fall off. 

Anything is possible..but this would require some very odd circumstance to allow it to come off.  Again, if they were mounted correctly and locked I can't see it.  This being said it is very easy to believe it is installed correctly and locked, but in fact it was not.  Have to be careful.  Just my opinion...

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 01:38:40 AM »

That is what everyone says until it happens to YOU, then magically your perspective changes.  Please, please don't defend the MoCo here.  As stated well by poster GRC;

That's like blaming a Pinto driver for the fire because he stopped too fast in front of that speeding car.

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 01:45:31 AM »

That is what everyone says until it happens to YOU, then magically your perspective changes.  Please, please don't defend the MoCo here.  As stated well by poster GRC;

I agree with you, no defense for HD from me..Truth is, it is way to complicated in design, and way to easy to make a mistake.  Should be more or less "idiot proof".  Idiot being me :huepfenlol2:
There should not be two or three ways to attach them....incorrectly, appearing correct..

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2012, 04:00:05 PM »

Guys it's not a design flaw in that if you secure them correctly they will NOT fall off. In the first 2 months I owned my ConV I had the bags fall off THREE times - twice on the left once on the right and I was convinced that it was mechanical issue or design flaw. I had to replace the mounting arm on one of them that got bent when it fell off and I noticed that the bag did not go on as easily as before. With the bag properly mounted I loosened the bolts to the lower arm from inside the bag and re-tightened them. This allowed the arm to align the bag to slide in place much more easily. I did this to the other side as well.

During this time wrestling with the bags I noticed you can still look them on and not have the lower arm in place. You have to be careful when you mount them and not only check the lock but ALL the mounting points to make sure they are secure. I do this three point inspection before every ride with the bags. After losing a bad 3 times you get a bit paranoid. Anyway in the 2 1/2 years since I adjusted the arms and do my safety check I have NEVER lost a bag. I ride the same roads and hit the same bumps I did when they fell off previously.

Did the design flaw magically go away or did I learn to take the extra 20 seconds to make sure they are secure on all points? You decide...

MikeV

Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Porschestan

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2012, 04:16:03 PM »

Guys it's not a design flaw in that if you secure them correctly they will NOT fall off. In the first 2 months I owned my ConV I had the bags fall off THREE times - twice on the left once on the right and I was convinced that it was mechanical issue or design flaw. I had to replace the mounting arm on one of them that got bent when it fell off and I noticed that the bag did not go on as easily as before. With the bag properly mounted I loosened the bolts to the lower arm from inside the bag and re-tightened them. This allowed the arm to align the bag to slide in place much more easily. I did this to the other side as well.

During this time wrestling with the bags I noticed you can still look them on and not have the lower arm in place. You have to be careful when you mount them and not only check the lock but ALL the mounting points to make sure they are secure. I do this three point inspection before every ride with the bags. After losing a bad 3 times you get a bit paranoid. Anyway in the 2 1/2 years since I adjusted the arms and do my safety check I have NEVER lost a bag. I ride the same roads and hit the same bumps I did when they fell off previously.

Did the design flaw magically go away or did I learn to take the extra 20 seconds to make sure they are secure on all points? You decide...

MikeV

I just washed my bike from a dusty ride yesterday and took off the bags.  When it was time to put them on I was showing my wife those exact 3 contact points you discussed.  I also showed her how someone could think they were installed correctly but they weren't.  Point is, yes I believe if installed correctly they will not fall off.  The only issue is that it should not be so easy to make a mistake as evidenced by this tread.

Stan

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2012, 04:31:23 PM »

Guys it's not a design flaw

MikeV - Sorry but you and I are going to strongly disagree on this one.  Very happy to hear you figured it out, but the point is you shouldn't have had to put that much work into it so YES IMHO it is most definitely a design flaw.  I travel extensively (weekly) throughout the Central US and I have not been to a dealer yet that didn't have this exact same problem with the ConV's they sold in their stores.  Just because it is POSSIBLE to put everything on correctly does not mean that it is PROBABLE that everything will be put on safefly and securely as evidenced by all the problems experienced on this board and nearly every dealer.

I don't expect to convince you and you most definitely will not convince me.  I LOVE my bike and would not sell it in spite of the bag problem, or the electrical faults many experience with the digital readout/lo fuel/fuel range issues.  However I also won't give the MoCo a gimmie on the bag issue; they need to address it.

Blazn

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »

Well, you can now count me in the believers group. Since seeing this on the forum I have diligently checked the locks especially after removing the bags for cleaning.  I always thought that the folks who's bags were flying off didn't have them latched correctly.Yesterday in a group ride my left bag mysteriously flew off. When I picked it up it was still in the locked position. I don't get that!!!! So now I'm not so sure. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck and a whole lot of people think it's a duck; I'm guessing it's a duck. So, MoCo buck up and get it right

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2012, 01:03:32 PM »

When my right bag came off I had just hit a pretty large pothole, it was quite a jolt followed by my right bag flying across 6 lanes of Interstate traffic.  I caused quite a few cars to steer out of the way until a pickup truck ran over the bag and got it stuck in his undercarriage. In all 12 cars had to veer out of the way and pull over to the side of the road.  It was a real blessing that no one was hurt and that I didn't cause anyone else to have an accident.  It took another 30 minutes on the side of the road to get that bag out from under that pickup undercarriage and he was unbelievably kind about the whole thing.  I think this is such a big deal to me because I was almost responsible for a lot of damage to other people vehicles.  I just can't let that go.

My opinion, and my opinion only!  The whole problem is the fork that connects to the passanger peg.  During times of heavy body flex (like hitting that pothole) it simply come of that mount and put extra stress on the only locking point in the whole connection.  Since that locking point is spring loaded, the force overcomes the spring, the lock pops open and the bag slides right off.  In some cases I think the spring pops the lock back closed but only after it has already become dislodged.  The 2010 model has a more secure connection at the peg location and I think that is why you see most of the problems on the 2011, which also might be why there is not going to be a 2013 model.  I think a simple solution would be to make both of the bag mounts as locking units instead of just one, but that is just my opinion.  Until the I use zip ties on all three connection points.

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2012, 01:57:52 PM »

When my right bag came off I had just hit a pretty large pothole, it was quite a jolt followed by my right bag flying across 6 lanes of Interstate traffic.  I caused quite a few cars to steer out of the way until a pickup truck ran over the bag and got it stuck in his undercarriage. In all 12 cars had to veer out of the way and pull over to the side of the road.  It was a real blessing that no one was hurt and that I didn't cause anyone else to have an accident.  It took another 30 minutes on the side of the road to get that bag out from under that pickup undercarriage and he was unbelievably kind about the whole thing.  I think this is such a big deal to me because I was almost responsible for a lot of damage to other people vehicles.  I just can't let that go.

My opinion, and my opinion only!  The whole problem is the fork that connects to the passanger peg.  During times of heavy body flex (like hitting that pothole) it simply come of that mount and put extra stress on the only locking point in the whole connection.  Since that locking point is spring loaded, the force overcomes the spring, the lock pops open and the bag slides right off.  In some cases I think the spring pops the lock back closed but only after it has already become dislodged.  The 2010 model has a more secure connection at the peg location and I think that is why you see most of the problems on the 2011, which also might be why there is not going to be a 2013 model.  I think a simple solution would be to make both of the bag mounts as locking units instead of just one, but that is just my opinion.  Until the I use zip ties on all three connection points.

I'm in agreement on this.  The one time mine came off (2012 model) was hitting a deep pothole with my wife on the back.  It hit so severely that I have a mark in the paint on the swingarm from it being struck.  That event caused the bag to release and tumble down the road.  If the support arm had a center rod with a spring or have the mount point on the bag have a slide to take out the compression that would alleviate it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 21 queries.