Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEW ENGINE, FOUR NEW MODELS FROM HARLEY-DAVIDSON  (Read 1890 times)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
NEW ENGINE, FOUR NEW MODELS FROM HARLEY-DAVIDSON
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »

Milwaukee, Wis. (July 14, 2006) - Harley-Davidson will launch the Twin Cam 96, an all-new Big Twin engine, as it introduces its 2007 line of motorcycles. The Twin Cam 96 will power all models in the Harley-Davidson Dyna, Softail and Touring product families, each of which will also feature the 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission. New motorcycles for 2007 include two VRSC models, the all-new FXSTC Softail Custom, and a limited-edition model celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Sportster introduction.
“The V-Twin engine has always been the centerpiece of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle,” said Bill Davidson, Harley-Davidson Director of Motorcycle Product Development. “It’s integral not only to the performance of the motorcycle, but also to its styling, to its sound, and to the way it feels to the rider. The new Twin Cam 96 and 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission offer enhanced performance, while maintaining the traditional aesthetics of the Harley-Davidson Big Twin.”

It is the timeless blend of form and function that shapes the character of every Harley-Davidson model. It’s a philosophy that dictates that the machine should stir the soul not just through its physical performance, but also through its presence, an expression of the passion that has guided Harley-Davidson for more than a century.

Highlights of the 2007 Harley-Davidson line include:

The new Twin Cam 96 engine, paired with the 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission, delivers up to 17 percent more torque (varies by model family) than the Twin Cam 88 it replaces and incorporates a number of design changes to enhance performance and reliability. It will only be offered with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI). The 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission features quieter helical-cut gears in ratios optimized to match the torque curve of the Twin Cam 96. A sixth gear reduces engine rpm by 11 percent at highway speeds. New mufflers have been tuned to enhance the lower sound frequencies for a more commanding exhaust tone.

The VRSC family of liquid-cooled power-cruisers features two new models. The VRSCDX Night Rod Special offers menacing, blacked-out styling. The limited-edition VRSCX features the pavement-scorching power of a big-bore Revolution V-Twin engine with drag-bike styling and graphics that pay tribute to the NHRA champion Screamin’ Eagle / Vance & Hines Pro Stock Motorcycle racing team.

The new FXSTC Softail Custom reprises the styling cues of the classic chopper, with a 200mm rear tire, king-and-queen seat, and Bobtail rear fender.

The limited-edition 50th Anniversary Sportster features special badging, a traditional peanut fuel tank, and other classic components to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1957 Sportster introduction.

The FLSTF Fat Boy is refreshed and reloaded for 2007, with new wheels and styling details, a new 200mm rear tire, and the performance of the Twin Cam 96/B engine and 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission.

The FXDC Dyna Super Glide Custom is redesigned to enhance its aesthetic appeal with additional chrome and custom features, including a new two-up, ribbed seat, Fat Bob fuel tank and a mini-pullback handlebar.

Harley-Davidson Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) will offer four exciting models for 2007: the Screamin’ Eagle Road King, the Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide, the Screamin’ Eagle Softail Springer, and the Screamin’ Eagle Dyna. Each is powered by a new high-performance Twin Cam 110 powertrain and features new accessories and fabulous new paint schemes.

The new Harley-Davidson Smart Security System, featuring new hands-free fob and auto arming/disarming, is an available factory-installed option for all Harley-Davidson models.

Harley-Davidson will offer 17 new color combinations for 2007.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
Re: NEW ENGINE, FOUR NEW MODELS FROM HARLEY-DAVIDS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 07:33:33 PM »

I read they will be offering the SE110 engine as a bolt on upgrade kit 8-)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:28:14 AM »

I read they will be offering the [highlight]SE110 engine[/highlight] as a bolt on upgrade kit 8-)

I ask  if they will offer to upgrade from 103 to 110 as an option?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 08:28:44 AM by jegomez »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 08:33:55 AM »

I ask  if they will offer to upgrade from 103 to 110 as an option?
If I were going to up the displacement on my 103ci I think I would opt for 113ci (JMHO). Zippers has one in the works, and I’ve sure been satisfied w/the other upgrades I’ve gotten from Zippers. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »

Sounds like the design boys have been burning the candle at both ends and came up with a great new chapter for the H.D. history book!!
I may just have to check out a new model.
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Twin Cam 96 Highlights
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 03:16:53 AM »

New Crankcase Design: The starter is now bolted directly to the inner primary housing, eliminating the starter jackshaft for improved starter performance. An integral oil filter adapter eliminates gaskets and hardware. Internal oil passages between the engine and transmission on the Twin Cam 96 eliminate external oil lines and fittings. EXCELLENT!

Reduced Reciprocating Mass: Lighter pistons and lighter, shorter connecting rods increase performance and reduce vibration. Despite an increase in displacement, the Twin Cam 96 and the counter-balanced 96B are noticeably smoother than the Twin Cam 88 at most engine speeds. WONDER WHAT "MOST SPEEDS" MEANS ?

Improved Camshaft Design: The new cams are lighter and use improved materials for enhanced durability. [i]New hydrostatic, plain cam bearings replace the previous roller bearings and offer increased durability, reduced complexity and quieter operation.[/i] New multi-piece assembled camshafts replace the previous forged, single-piece cams. A new, hydraulic automatic cam chain tensioner replaces the previous spring-loaded mechanical tensioner. WAY OVERDUE!

Improved Oil Pump: A new oil pump assembly provides 10 percent more flow and 23 percent more scavenging capacity than the previous design. The Twin Cam 96 also has an integrated oil cooler adapter. CAN WE SPELL FEULING ?  ;D

Improved EFI: New 25-degree fuel injector nozzles offer better fuel atomization and spray targeting than the previous 8-degree injectors, and help reduce exhaust emissions and improve driveability. A new O2 feedback sensor in the exhaust helps fine-tune EFI performance and reduce exhaust emissions. EPA INFLUENCE MAYBE ?

New Primary Chain Tensioner: A new automatic primary chain tensioner eliminates the manual service adjustment of the primary chain. The inner and outer primary drive covers are redesigned to improve the appearance of the painted, polished or chromed surface.

New Exhaust Tuning: Muffler tuning has been changed to both improve exhaust flow for increased performance, and to improve the sound quality of the exhaust. Low frequencies have been enhanced to give the Twin Cam 96 a new, commanding exhaust tone that preserves the legendary Harley-Davidson sound. EPA DRIVEN EXHAUST SOUNDS GOOD ? MUST HEAR IT TO BELIVE IT.

Bolt-On 103 Big Bore Kit: An increase in displacement to 103 cid can be achieved by adding a bolt-on Big Bore Kit with 3.875-inch bore cylinders and matching pistons from Harley-Davidson Genuine Motor Accessories. It is no longer necessary to add a stroker kit to get to 103 cid. HMMMMMM>>>>>>>>>

6-Speed Cruise Drive Transmission Highlights New Gear Ratios: New gear ratios have been selected to match the torque curve characteristics of the Twin Cam 96 engine. Roll-on acceleration performance is improved in all gears. Top gear cruising ratios are reduced significantly with the addition of the sixth gear and passing capability is improved. WONDER IF THEY'VE CHANGED THE RATIOS AND DRIVE SPROCKETS?

Smoother Shifting: Shift effort is significantly reduced because steel “dog rings” that slide to cause gear changes replace moving gears. Because the dog rings have less mass than gears, shifting is quicker and smoother, and the throw of the shift lever is reduced.

New Transmission Case: Larger internal bearings, larger gears and a stiffer transmission housing all combine to improve over-all durability, and torque-carrying capacity is increased by 28 percent. The transmission for Dyna and Touring models has internal oil passages that eliminate external oil lines and fittings and the opportunity for leaks. The Softail transmission retains external oil lines.

New Gears: Helical-cut gear teeth, initially developed for the VRSC family, present a larger contact area than the previous straight-cut gears, so they are stronger and also quieter. A new cassette gear cluster is easy to remove for improved serviceability. THANK YOU PORSCHE.

Reduced Clutch Lever Effort: Reduced clutch spring rates, a revised ball-and-ramp design, and a new, more-efficient clutch cable combine to reduce clutch lever effort by up to seven percent (varies by model).

Service Intervals: The new Twin Came 96 engine primary chaincase drain interval is 10,000 miles, while the 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission drain interval is 20,000 miles.

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 07:30:24 AM »

Enjoyed your comments on the HD mechanical "improvements".  Not much doubt in my mind that the aftermarket "repairs" and "replacements" that most of us have done to our engines are driving the R&D at HD.  Question is:  Why is it necessary to suffer through several years of trial and error, aggravation and dealing with junk parts?

cvTony

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 12:28:33 PM »

I read they will be offering the SE110 engine as a bolt on upgrade kit 8-)

Does anyone know how they arrived at 110"? I am guessing the 96" is a modified 88" with a stroker assembly and 88" bore dimensions. And, a big bore kit turns that into a 103. But the 110"?, how'd they get there? Haven't seen any bore X stroke specs for that motor yet. And, if the thought is that a 103 can be increased to a 110, then the 96 should also be capable of being bumped up to 110, why stop at 103? Until we know what they did to get to 110, no way of knowing if the 103 can be increased. May have bored the cases to get bigger jugs on that motor. Also, it sounds like there will be no upgrade available to the new six speed for older bikes, if you consider the internal oil passages, increased bearing sizes and modified starter/primary stuff. Another thought - if those 96" heads are decent, a 96/103 conversion may run better than an '06 earlier 103. Maybe? Is an Ultra Classic with a big bore kit in my future....?
2006 FLHTCUSE B/C
1993 Sportster 883/1220
1990 FLHTC Peace Officer S/E (gone and missed)
1974 XLCH 1000 (gone, thank God)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 12:35:36 PM »

Does anyone know how they arrived at 110"? I am guessing the 96" is a modified 88" with a stroker assembly and 88" bore dimensions. And, a big bore kit turns that into a 103. But the 110"?, how'd they get there? Haven't seen any bore X stroke specs for that motor yet. And, if the thought is that a 103 can be increased to a 110, then the 96 should also be capable of being bumped up to 110, why stop at 103? Until we know what they did to get to 110, no way of knowing if the 103 can be increased. May have bored the cases to get bigger jugs on that motor. Also, it sounds like there will be no upgrade available to the new six speed for older bikes, if you consider the internal oil passages, increased bearing sizes and modified starter/primary stuff. Another thought - if those 96" heads are decent, a 96/103 conversion may run better than an '06 earlier 103. Maybe? Is an Ultra Classic with a big bore kit in my future....?

The 110" could be for more affordable insurance rates than say a 113"

Don't quote me but I think any motor larger than 112" that is titled, the rates go up to insure your scooter.  

Again I don't know this for a fact but somewhere I heard it in the past  

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 12:55:45 PM by jeffj »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 12:54:54 PM »

Enjoyed your comments on the HD mechanical "improvements".  Not much doubt in my mind that the aftermarket "repairs" and "replacements" that most of us have done to our engines are driving the R&D at HD.  Question is:  Why is it necessary to suffer through several years of trial and error, aggravation and dealing with junk parts?
Maybe because there research is coming here to see what we do to our scooters, and the development part is waiting to see how these improvements work on our scooters. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 01:48:40 PM »

I looked on line at the HD website for a New SE Catalog.  The 06 catalog is the only one still.  It'll be interesting to see what combos of SE parts will work to get a 110 to perform even better... [smiley=banana.gif]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.