Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: cobra fi2000 powerpro  (Read 10521 times)

2dgcrew

cobra fi2000 powerpro
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:37 AM »

has any one used this and if so what results or reviews do you have

glens

• Senior CVO Member
Re: cobra fi2000 powerpro
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:44:28 PM »

Used it for and on what?  There's been discussion of it here fairly recently.  Please consult the search engine.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »

Take a look here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=68136.0

In a nutshell:  There are better alternatives, and don't believe everything anything you read on their website.  Most of the claims can be found 6 inches up a bull's butt...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »

It works very well, but like glens asked, it depends on your wants/plans.  If you are a fanatic about getting every last HP and want to spend a ton of money on multiple dyno tunes, it's not a good choice for you, because you can't do any fine tuning with it.  If you want you bike to work well without a lot of worry, or you want to do gradual modifications, the Powrpro is a really good option.  Everyone I've talked to that uses the Powrpro loves it.

2gdcrew, as far as I can tell, I'm the only one on this site that dares to admit I'm using the new Cobra Powrpro.  I looked at several ecm/fuel controllers, and decided to try it out.  So far, it works exactly as claimed.  It was easy to install, made my SG run cooler and smoother.  Also, it has much better throttle response (felt like it gained 10 hp after installing it), completely stopped throttle lag, backfiring, and stalling when hot.  Nearly completely eliminated decel popping, and gas mileage is back to what it was before installation. 

After I installed the Cobra, I put on Bassani 2-1 pipes, and it had no problems.  In a couple weeks, I'm going to have cams installed, then do a dyno run to see what kind of numbers it produces.  I'm really curious to see the numbers; if they are within the range of other people's dyno results, I'll know it's working as advertised.  If the numbers are bad, I'll exchange the Powrpro for a TTS when I do pistons or headwork in the future. 

Also, DO NOT pay MSRP.  I've heard of them selling for less than $500. 

I don't know what Midnight Rider's problem is with Cobra.  Since you asked advice from people who've actually used it, which he apparently has not, I'm not sure why he's trashing it.  So far, it's worked exactly as advertised, and I'll post my dyno numbers when I get them, good or bad.

Good Luck!

2dgcrew

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »

thanks for your input , i think you have made my decision really easy , i had the sert before for my 07 fxstsse worked great but never really played with it after that and considering the cost plus the cost of dyno runs it comes out way more expensive, i have found the fi2000 powerpro online for 435 and considering that iwill not have to dyno the bike ever again i think the savings will be great . looking forward to seeing you numbers if you dyno it

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:50 PM »

2dgcrew, please let us know what your impressions are after you install it.  What bike are you going to put it on?  When you first install the Powrpro, it'll act kinda funky.  Run it hard through gears 1-3 three or four times, and it will smooth right out.  Also, for some reason, the gas mileage will drop initially, then gradually come back up.  My last tank was 40 mpg, averages 38 now.

I think $435 should have been Cobra's starting point when they brought it to the market.  That would have made it more in the ballpark of a TTS with a canned program.  Looking forward to hearing your impressions. 

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »

Used it for and on what?  There's been discussion of it here fairly recently.  Please consult the search engine.

sitting here LMAO...if he was asking same question about TTS you walda been all over it..   Sorry, coudnt resist, but my chuckles just got ahead of me.. :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

sitting here LMAO...if he was asking same question about TTS you walda been all over it..   Sorry, coudnt resist, but my chuckles just got ahead of me.. :huepfenlol2:

C'mon.  Many legitimate alternative uses.  Hockey puck, butter tray, beer coaster; has to be many other things the gent was obviously considering....  :huepfenlol2:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:47:44 PM »

:beatdeadhorse:

There is a very old and wise saying that I've found to be right on the money at least 99% of the time.  If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  As for folks who admit they don't know much about tuning devices or tuning in general, I have to wonder why it is that when they ask questions of those who actually do know a bit about the subject, and the answers don't match up with the advertising on the product, they blow off the folks who bothered to try to answer their questions honestly.

My advice to those who prefer to believe in magic and the claims of some advertising copy writer, don't waste time reading this thread, haul out your credit card and order up one or two of whatever it is you've already decided to buy.  When you decide four months from now that you need to adjust your idle or eliminate a decel pop, or adjust your speedometer due to a gearing change, or adjust the electronic throttle control response curve, or one of the many other things that come up all the time, please don't ask us how to fix it with your Cobra.  You can't.  Keep that credit card handy, you'll need it to buy something else. 

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »

thanks for your input , i think you have made my decision really easy , i had the sert before for my 07 fxstsse worked great but never really played with it after that and considering the cost plus the cost of dyno runs it comes out way more expensive, i have found the fi2000 powerpro online for 435 and considering that iwill not have to dyno the bike ever again i think the savings will be great . looking forward to seeing you numbers if you dyno it

That sounds like alot of money, nearly $500, and then it runs nearly perfect from then on? For how long? Is it forever? That would be great! Or is it for the life of the bike? Or is it for 90 days or 30 or? I really don't have the product, I happen to like the SEST that I bought with my bike and it has worked really well with the map they used at HDHD here in Boise when I got the cams and intake and exhaust. The tuner isn't on the bike, nothing extra, just the ECM changed to some new settings doing it's job as usual!!
Then when I was ready, I got it dyno tuned and couldn't be happier!! Now I spent less than $800 for everything including the purchase of the tuner, the install of map at the time of the engine upgrades and then the actual dyno tune as well.
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »

I don't know what Midnight Rider's problem is with Cobra.  Since you asked advice from people who've actually used it, which he apparently has not, I'm not sure why he's trashing it.  So far, it's worked exactly as advertised, and I'll post my dyno numbers when I get them, good or bad.

Good Luck!

Please understand...I have no problem whatsoever with the product, or your use of it, or anybody else's use of it.  To coin a phrase "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn".  If one poses a question on this site asking what "we" think of this or that product, you can expect some responses, and you might not like some of them.  But mostly knowledgable people here on the site (and I don't necessarily include myself in that group) will advise either for or against whatever it is, and either give reasons, or point to another discussion for further clarification of their thoughts/opinions.  And in most cases, that advice is not just pulled out of their collective butts, but based on knowing what they are talking about.

The bottom line is that if you, or anyone else, are happy with the product, what else really matters?  However, that does not negate the fact that there are better alternatives for the long haul, which is the point of the query.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:58:03 PM by Midnight Rider »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:04:37 AM »

"The bottom line is that if you, or anyone else, is happy with the product, what else really matters?"

Midnight Rider, you're right on the money.  I've read many of your posts, and think you know your chit pretty well. 

During the two plus years I was looking at bikes, I talked to lots of people and read lots of articles and forums.  Once, I was told that "CVOs are for f@gs, the paint and all that chrome is ef'n gay" by some azzhole who thought he was a real badazz biker.  I am SO glad I ignored him, I freakin love my CVO SG. 

My point is, I made the decision to try out the Powrpro, with a great deal of reservation.  Like the CVOSG, it has exceeded my expectations.  If I didn't like it, I would be all over these forums telling people to stay the hell away from Cobra.  I have nothing to gain by pimping Cobra's merchandise.  So far I'm happy with my decision, but may decide to use a different tuner later.

"However, that does not negate the fact that there are better alternatives for the long haul, which is the point of the query." 

Actually, the query was "has anyone used this and if so what results or reviews do you have".  I answered the question as honestly as I can; I didn't pull it from 6 inches up a bull's ass.  Finally, I'm as skeptical and curious as you to see how it works in the long haul.  IF (that's a big IF) it continues to work as advertised, it means it's just another alternative on the market. 

PS  Are you still looking for heat shields?

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:15 AM »

Jerry,

You, glens, deweysheads, and Fullsac Jim are among the posters on this site that I respect most and feel are the most knowledgeable and trustworthy.   But I'm compelled to call you on your post here.

1)  Asking which is the best motor oil or what is the best muffler is beating a dead horse.  2dgcrew asked about the Cobra Powrpro, which is a pretty new product.  As far as I can tell, no one else on this forum is using one, and there are only a couple threads about it.  2dgcrew has every reason to ask for more info on a product he's looking at, and you gave him zero info, except a sarcastic criticism of his legitimate question.  This seems really out of character for you.

2)  "As for folks who admit they don't know much about tuning devices or tuning in general, I have to wonder why it is that when they ask questions of those who actually do know a bit about the subject, and the answers don't match up with the advertising on the product, they blow off the folks who bothered to try to answer their questions honestly." 

a)  I did answer 2dgcrew's query 100% honestly.  If you had said "I tried the Powrpro and it's a piece of chit" or "I know people who've tried it, and it doesn't work" or "Group X tested the Powrpro, and the results show it doesn't stack up to other controllers", I respect your knowledge and experience enough that I'd probably throw it in the garbage (or never would've bought it in the first place), and get a TTS.  But your argument ends up basically being "I don't trust the marketing strategy" and "It's not complicated enough" without any first hand experience, or even second hand anecdotal information.  You may very well be correct, but my personal experience with the Powrpro conflicts with your opinion of it.  So be it.
        b)  No one has "blown you off".  On this site you give your opinion, and people will use it, or do something else.  It's not personal, and no one who gives advice here has any business being offended if someone chooses another option. 
        c)  I respect and admire your thoroughness and dedication to small details, but in the real world, 90% of riders are going to do a Stage I upgrade with a canned map and no dyno tune, or maybe cams, pistons and one dyno tune, and ride happily until they trade up to their next bike.  In that scenario, the Powrpro is just as good as any other option on the market.  It's not settling for less.

3)  "My advice to those who prefer to believe in magic and the claims of some advertising copy writer, don't waste time reading this thread,..."

a)  Now you're moving into the murky waters of personal attacks and false assumptions.  Get this straight.  I don't believe in magic, religion, superstition, politicians, spirits, fortune telling, palm reading, testimonials, or ESPECIALLY ADVERTISING.  They are all con games designed to separate people from our money and to manipulate and control our thoughts and actions.  I chose to try the Powrpro because it's a new product that made sense for me IF it worked as claimed, but I also thought that it sounded too good to be true.  As I've said over and over, I am very skeptical that it will live up to the hype.  I bought it as much out of curiosity as anything. 
        b)  We need to be able to have open and constructive discussions about new products.  To insinuate that only an ignorant gullible rube would try this product (or any other new product) is insulting and condescending.  Those attitudes only serve to suppress debate and the exchange of ideas here. 

4)  "When you decide four months from now that you need to adjust your idle or eliminate a decel pop, or adjust your speedometer due to a gearing change, or adjust the electronic throttle control response curve, or one of the many other things that come up all the time, please don't ask us how to fix it with your Cobra.  You can't.  Keep that credit card handy, you'll need it to buy something else."

Damn.  You're kidding, right?  I read about guys trying several different fuel controllers, ecms, cams, and pipes all the time here on CVOHarley, because they're not happy with the results.  Why is this any different?  You're saying it's okay to spend $400 each on multiple dyno tunes every time you do engine work, or spend $400 on a dyno tune to get 1 or 2 HP, but spend $500 on a new Powrpro and we're stupid, gullible assholes?  Give me a break.
        I like to pay cash for any work I have done.  I don't generally put bike upgrades on credit, and the Powrpro, so far, has been a reasonable solution/compromise that lets me do upgrades when it's convenient for me.  I wish I could do all the work myself, and do it all at once, but I don't have the time or equipment.  Besides, I'm going to ride, not waste my weekends taking care of chit that the bean counters at HD cut corners on.
        And let's be totally honest here.  If we wanted boring, reliable, cheap transportation, we would have bought Honda Shadows, not Harleys.  The average CVO owner probably drops thousands of dollars extra to personalize their bike.  If that makes them happy, more power to them.  If your happiness depends on farting around with the electronic throttle control response curve, fine.  I'm glad you're able to do that and are willing to share your information, you're a great resource.  But berating and dismissing 2dgcrew's legitimate question, and my honest responses, only serves to undermine the purpose of this forum.

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 06:10:31 AM »

"That sounds like alot of money, nearly $500, and then it runs nearly perfect from then on? For how long? Is it forever? That would be great! Or is it for the life of the bike? Or is it for 90 days or 30 or? ..."

I expect it to last as long as any SERT, TTS, PCV, Power Vision, or Thundermax.  :nixweiss:    I'll need to double check, but I think it has a two year warranty.

"Now I spent less than $800 for everything including the purchase of the tuner, the install of map at the time of the engine upgrades and then the actual dyno tune as well."

2dgcrew cited $435 for the Powrpro  vs  $800 for the tuner, map, and dyno.  IMO, the performance should be similar, depending on the skill of the dyno tech. 

I grew up in the Idaho Falls area.  It was a great place to grow up, but it's nice to live in a place now where one can ride year 'round.  Be safe and enjoy your ride.  Sounds like a nice set up.  :2vrolijk_21:

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:09 AM »

Not sure how the Power Pro will work on a Harley but I bought one for my Raider and waiting for time to install it. I've been reading about the results on the Raider and it's working pretty well with better rideability, reduced popping, better mpg and increased torque (reported as a 17lbft increase over the PCV). I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well on Harley engines. Not sure if I'll buy one for my Ultra since I already invested in the SEPRT but I'll keep checking for results and consider it. I do want to see some actual dyno sheets though before I spend bucks on another tuner. As mentioned before, who knows how accurate those are but if it's on the same dyno and similar conditions then it's a least indicating a change.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.62 seconds with 21 queries.