Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Seafoam cleaning  (Read 12360 times)

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: Seafoam cleaning
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:26:15 PM »

I use BG44K in the fuel tank two times a year. motor cycle is carbureted and truck is efi,what a differents it makes.

x2

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »

Have a friend that rides a Goldwing and swears by Seafoam. I gonna try it now!!!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member
  • Be responsible of yourself.

• CVO1: "2007"FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: "2004" 3500 Dodge Diesel Long bed DRW 4X4 HD "Laramie'
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2012, 03:08:39 PM »

Have a friend that rides a Goldwing and swears by Seafoam. I gonna try it now!!!

I have both bikes, Gl1800 2001, and FLHTCUSE2 2007. Been using SeaFoam on both. Great stuff.  Suggestion, run it continually between oil changes, but with less applied. it will keep the oil passages clear.
Vagabond(George)
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »

I have both bikes, Gl1800 2001, and FLHTCUSE2 2007. Been using SeaFoam on both. Great stuff.  Suggestion, run it continually between oil changes, but with less applied. it will keep the oil passages clear.
Vagabond(George)

That's interesting George.  Though have to admit it's not something I do anymore.

Years ago when low detergent (relatively speaking) oils were the norm and some still used non-detergent it was a common thing.  I grew up adding a little at every oil change.  But as good synthetics came on line and additive packages got more exotic the only thing I knew I knew for sure was that I didn't know enough to know if it was still a good idea.  So now I let the oil packages do their work and add a bit of Seafoam to oil in the last tank of gas of before an oil change.  Add a little to the fuel at that same interval (if I remember).

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »

Pulled the rocker box covers off and changed the breathers yesterday. Was surprised to see how clean everything was at 53K. Only use Mobil 1, no additives.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 01:29:31 AM »

That's interesting George.  Though have to admit it's not something I do anymore.

Years ago when low detergent (relatively speaking) oils were the norm and some still used non-detergent it was a common thing.  I grew up adding a little at every oil change.  But as good synthetics came on line and additive packages got more exotic the only thing I knew I knew for sure was that I didn't know enough to know if it was still a good idea.  So now I let the oil packages do their work and add a bit of Seafoam to oil in the last tank of gas of before an oil change.  Add a little to the fuel at that same interval (if I remember).

I just found this to be the case with the new exotic synthetics. I have used Amsoil and the H-D synthetic. The oils will become accumulative in the really tight clearances. Such as the case for the GL1800, ran the oil with 4 oz. for a short time, and the 27k mile engine smooth right out. haven't bother to change the oil and filter yet.  On the FLHTCUSE2, the engine heat tolerance went higher before loosing oil pressure. Same procedure, 1oz/qt.  i wouldn't suggest something, unless I've been there and know there is an improvement.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:38:37 AM by Vagabond6542 »
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 01:15:33 PM »

I run an S & S T124 (carburated) in my Dyna (01). 126.2HP/ 133 T. Could someone verify the right Seafoam product, is it the BG44K I've seen mentioned. I like the idea of cleaning up the combustion chambers/ valve faces without a teardown!
My engine is quite sensitive to fuel/ alcohol %,and now its becoming all but impossible to get straight gas. It has the ITS system that senses knock, and will run different from hour to the next.
Maybe cleaning up the CC would help a little. Thanks for any responses!! twinotter

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »

I run an S & S T124 (carburated) in my Dyna (01). 126.2HP/ 133 T. Could someone verify the right Seafoam product, is it the BG44K I've seen mentioned. I like the idea of cleaning up the combustion chambers/ valve faces without a teardown!
My engine is quite sensitive to fuel/ alcohol %,and now its becoming all but impossible to get straight gas. It has the ITS system that senses knock, and will run different from hour to the next.
Maybe cleaning up the CC would help a little. Thanks for any responses!! twinotter

To answer the bold underlined question, SeaFoam is a Auto, Marine,and Fleet application product. It will do auto and diesels, and I might add motorcycles. it comes in white can with part number SF16. I hope this clarification helps. The product can be found at Pep Boys, Auto Zone, and Advance Auto stores. I don't know about Walmart.
Hope this was helpful.
Vagabond
Expect the Unexpected

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 07:58:01 PM »

Separate products being discussed.  44k from BG is a competitive product.  Seafoam is both a vendor name and a generically applied product name for an additive that's been around for many many years. 

Seafoam also has other products.  An additive for automatic transmissions and others they've come out with the last few years.  The product discussed here is their old standard Seafoam Motor Treatment.  Comes in different sized bottles that will have different part numbers so pay attention to the name.  Will likely say "auto and marine" or "auto, marine and fleet."  Something like that....

Here you go, just found their website.  Their various other products are easily distinguished from the "Motor Treatment."  Take a look and you'll know exactly what you're after when you walk in to any auto parts store.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 08:01:41 PM »

BG44K is one of the gazzilion competitive "engine and fuel system cleaner" products on the market.  It's not SeaFoam, that's a different brand.  There are many others, like Techron or STP or whatever.  They are all basically petrochemical solvents that are supposed to soften and remove deposits.  Often ignored in the various sales pitches is the fact that all gasolines these days are required by law to contain a certain level of additives to keep the fuel system clean.  So it's not necessary to use additional products on a regular basis, unless you buy your gasoline from some fly by night no-name retailer.  If it makes someone feel better, I suppose running a can through the system once a year won't hurt anything other than their pocket book (some of this stuff is ridiculously expensive, like the BG products).  But for most people with a properly tuned engine, you might be very surprised at how clean the fuel system and engine stay without dumping in any additives.  Modern fuels and oils aren't the same as your grandpa's, and neither is the engine and fuel system of your vehicle.

http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 08:21:36 PM »

Canadian Tire sells Sea Foam.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 08:27:46 PM »

BG44K is one of the gazzilion competitive "engine and fuel system cleaner" products on the market.  It's not SeaFoam, that's a different brand.  There are many others, like Techron or STP or whatever.  They are all basically petrochemical solvents that are supposed to soften and remove deposits.  Often ignored in the various sales pitches is the fact that all gasolines these days are required by law to contain a certain level of additives to keep the fuel system clean.  So it's not necessary to use additional products on a regular basis, unless you buy your gasoline from some fly by night no-name retailer.  If it makes someone feel better, I suppose running a can through the system once a year won't hurt anything other than their pocket book (some of this stuff is ridiculously expensive, like the BG products).  But for most people with a properly tuned engine, you might be very surprised at how clean the fuel system and engine stay without dumping in any additives.  Modern fuels and oils aren't the same as your grandpa's, and neither is the engine and fuel system of your vehicle.
http://www.bgprod.com/home.html

Jerry

Maybe most normal engines won't have the need for cleaning additives when using quality fuel, but these 110's are known for excessive carbon build up in the chambers due to poor sealing piston rings. I get this from a HD indy mechanic here who does performance packages on the 110's, and said every one of the 12 teardowns he's done, all have had this issue. Most were low mileage bikes too.

So, in our case, I think a little extra maintenance will help things out. Like I mentioned before, I think I had a sticky lifter last year because I had the lifter ticking noise, but after I ran some Seafoam in the oil prior to an oil change then changed the oil, then noise was gone and never returned.

2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

twinotter

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 01:00:05 AM »

Vagabond6542, Twolanerider, grc, North Star. Thanks a lot for the information on Sea Foam and the distinction between it and BG44K!!  I purchased a Sea Foam product a while ago to clean a generator carb that had sit for 7 yrs. I was rather amazed to see it actually disolve a 1/16th" layer of deposits wile I watched. I'm not sure if it is in fact the product you fellow are recommending, I'll check it out for a part number. Dropping a couple of ozs in the fuel tank can't hurt right! I have almost $11000 in my motor after all the hookups/ additions, I'd like it to last as long as possible. twinotter  ;D :2vrolijk_21:

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 02:13:12 AM »

We spray it into the intake once hot and the engine is idling. Pop the air cleaner off,.. Use a multi purpose spray bottle. Let it sit, fire it back up. Sea foam works extremely well.

Good idea. I was thinking of one of those small pump oil cans but a spray bottle would allow a finer mist. Also digging on the Scavenger gizmo. Will have to add one to my oil change kit or see if the shop has one if I take it in for service. Good tips to consider.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 12:00:39 PM »

I just purchased some Seafoam from Lordco.....two cans...one to pour and one that sprays.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.