Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Puff of smoke  (Read 2056 times)

trhayes76

Puff of smoke
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:27:25 PM »

Running  the V&H power duals and High-Output mufflers, SERT, stock cams and AC. I'm now at 5300 miles

Had my bike dyno tuned 2 weeks ago. Since then , I have been noticing the bike running a bit rough when "creeping" out of the neighborhood in the mornings. A co-worker of mine noticed a puff of smoke coming from the left pipe. Also, the left muffler is dirty brown. I know some soot or whatnot is OK for the left....Should I have it re-tuned or is this normal? The "roughness" tends to go away once the bike is warm. Not sure about the smoke...

ANy info is appreciated...thanks

2012 CVO Road Glide Custom- 17" Carlini Evil Apes- V&H power duals and High-Output mufflers

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Puff of smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 03:32:47 PM »

Assuming the bike ran fine before the tune, (and even if it did not) would it not make sense to first report this to your tuner?  Based on the facts you gave, that would seem to be the logical first step. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 08:08:35 PM »

A quick check of the spark plugs may tell a story. If you suspect something is amiss, a leak down test would confirm your suspicion.

It seems to me that trouble or not, a pre and post tune leak down test would add pretty good value.  :2vrolijk_21:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »

Running  the V&H power duals and High-Output mufflers, SERT, stock cams and AC. I'm now at 5300 miles

Had my bike dyno tuned 2 weeks ago. Since then , I have been noticing the bike running a bit rough when "creeping" out of the neighborhood in the mornings. A co-worker of mine noticed a puff of smoke coming from the left pipe. Also, the left muffler is dirty brown. I know some soot or whatnot is OK for the left....Should I have it re-tuned or is this normal? The "roughness" tends to go away once the bike is warm. Not sure about the smoke...

ANy info is appreciated...thanks

Not sure what you want us to tell you, but the obvious answer is to take it back to whoever "tuned" it.  It didn't do this before his tune, and it has done it ever since his tune.  Can't be much clearer than that.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jcd520

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 12:16:30 PM »

Sounds like something is amiss------------both pipes should be pretty much the same if it is tuned right. Better check compression(leak down) and/or tune.

trhayes76

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

I have an appointment Fri to get the tuner to look at it again. That's obvious....I guess what I was looking for was some theories as to why this is happening. Do any of you have enough tuning experience to give some ideas/ammo to give the tuner?  Also, is is safe to ride it a bit before I take it in. This is my normal daily driver...not liking driving the truck right now  :)

2012 CVO Road Glide Custom- 17" Carlini Evil Apes- V&H power duals and High-Output mufflers

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.