Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!  (Read 21354 times)

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Watch That Fuel Gauge!!
« on: November 22, 2012, 11:29:33 AM »

Was out on the new bike yesterday and noticed I had what looked to be a little less than 1/4 of a tank (what my assumption was based on the digital guage).  The fuel light comes on and I start losing power in 6th gear, downshift to 5th, start losing power there after about 1/2 mile.  Long story short, I just made it to the gas station and put almost a full 5 gallons in the tank- so I don't know if there is a fuel gauge issue or what, but I will be watching the milage from here on out and not just the fuel guage.  Let me know if any of you have experienced similar issues with your Breakouts.

SupDude

Re: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 01:31:31 PM »

Generally speaking, I've always watched my mileage and not the gas gauge.  I used the "A" setting on the odometer to watch my gas mileage and I reset the "B" setting to remind me when I need to service my bike.  Back in the old days we didn't have a fuel gauge so there was no choice but to count your miles. 

Since the Breakouts are so new, I'm assuming that you don't have a ton of miles on your bike.  You'll notice your gas mileage will improve as you break in your engine and put some miles on it.

2013 CVO Road Glide Anniversary

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »

hmmmm, that's strange.  I have ridden mine to near empty once.  I was showing a single bar on the fuel gauge, then got the fuel light with an R reading of 36 miles, which is how my last Softail operated, so it was as expected for me.
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:06:50 PM »

Not a good sign for my gauge I guess.

hmmmm, that's strange.  I have ridden mine to near empty once.  I was showing a single bar on the fuel gauge, then got the fuel light with an R reading of 36 miles, which is how my last Softail operated, so it was as expected for me.

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 08:09:52 PM »

My lower fuel bar was also flashing.  The strang thing is all tis happened essentially at once- low fuel symbol came on, loss of power in higher gears, and the lowest line on the fuel gauge flashing.  It was my understanding that once that fuel light comes on I should have as you said, around 30+ miles left approx.

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »

My lower fuel bar was also flashing.  The strang thing is all tis happened essentially at once- low fuel symbol came on, loss of power in higher gears, and the lowest line on the fuel gauge flashing.  It was my understanding that once that fuel light comes on I should have as you said, around 30+ miles left approx.

You might want to take it in and get the guage calibrated.

Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »

You might want to take it in and get the guage calibrated.

+1...that is NOT normal behavior..
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 06:32:03 AM »

Are you pretty sure it was low on fuel that was causing the problem.  Did the motor act as if it was cutting off and then catching some fuel and running?  Your description of 'losing power' after running 1/2 mile has me wondering.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

G_Fend

• Full CVO Member
  • FXSBSE

• CVO1: '13 CVO Breakout (Crimson Red)
    • CVO2: '05 FXD
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »

Good to know! I'll keep an eye on mine
2013 CVO Breakout FXSBSE
Crimson Red Sunglo
Quick Release Windshield
Engine Guard with Slipstream Highway Pegs
V&H Slash-cut Slip-ons

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:41:23 AM »

Well, as soon as I filled up the problem went away, so I am guessing it was fuel related.  Wouldn't hurt to get the thing calibrated.

Are you pretty sure it was low on fuel that was causing the problem.  Did the motor act as if it was cutting off and then catching some fuel and running?  Your description of 'losing power' after running 1/2 mile has me wondering.  spyder

AZ_BREAKOUT

• CVO1: '13 Breakout Black
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 06:22:31 PM »

I experienced the exact same fuel issue.  When the light came on I was in 6th gear riding down the freeway when it acted like it was starving for fuel.  I down geared to 5th and it acted fine.  After refilling the tank it's been just fine.
When I had it in the shop installing my HD Daymaker Headlamp I talked to the Tech and all he did was scold me for riding in 6th gear during the break in period!  I forgot that was a no no.  Will report back the next time fuel gets low....

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 07:25:20 PM »

I have never heard about the 6th gear rule (just read the owner's manual and it doesn't say anything about not using 6th gear during the breakin period).  It does say to keep things under 3000 rpm for the first 50 miles and under 3500 rpm for the first 500 miles, and vary speeds.  I use my 6th gear when I get up over 60, otherwise the rpm's sit right around 3000 at 60mph.

I experienced the exact same fuel issue.  When the light came on I was in 6th gear riding down the freeway when it acted like it was starving for fuel.  I down geared to 5th and it acted fine.  After refilling the tank it's been just fine.
When I had it in the shop installing my HD Daymaker Headlamp I talked to the Tech and all he did was scold me for riding in 6th gear during the break in period!  I forgot that was a no no.  Will report back the next time fuel gets low....

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:30 PM »

There is no sixth gear "rule", other than in the mind of that tech at that dealership. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »

This break in period BS that they give you is nothing but crap.  Those rings are seated within the first 5 minutes that bike has been running.   :-\.  I wouldn't ride it like a scalded dog right out of the shut but I sure as heck would ride it like I stole it.   :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
Breakout Fuel Gauge
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 07:58:31 PM »

Someone mentioned this in another topic, just didn't feel like looking for it. Last three days I've ridden to work, about 100 miles round trip. Filled up before I came home yesterday and rode through some pretty rough wind. Today I leave the office with about half a tank and decided to take the scenic route through Rolling Hills and Glen Rock, Wyoming (beautiful country but windy). As I'm coming into Casper the bike just quits. I look down at the mileage to empty and there is like 45 miles left. Downshift and I'm good to go. Does this like four times. I finally died about 200 yards away from the gas station. Fortunately it cranked right back up and I made it to the pump. Definitely a pucker factor of like 15 on a scale of 1 to 10. Once your gauge goes down to 1 bar or you are 75 to 100 miles to empty, stop and get some fuel.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.