Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!  (Read 21353 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Watch That Fuel Gauge!!
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2013, 12:30:19 PM »

There's more to it than just the gauge.   :)

Yup, it sounds like some are also experiencing a fuel pickup problem.  Once again my advice is the same, don't accept it, demand they fix it.  If you have fuel starvation problems with a half gallon of gas still remaining in the tank, that isn't normal or acceptable either.   

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cvo1717

• Elite CVO Member
    • NY

• CVO1: 2013 CVO BREAKOUT BLACK SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO FATBOB BLACK DENIM HELLFIRE FLAMES TRADED IN
    • CVO3: 2020 CVO street glide
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

I am picking my black diamond up saturday what should I tell the dealer to check so I do not have this problem with the gage
Mike
2013 CVO BREAKOUT 117 KIT
ROSAS HEADS WOODS TW 8-6 CAM
RB RACING 2 INTO 1 PROSTOCK CHALLENGE PIPE
130 HP  134 TQ STD
126 hp   131 TQ SAE

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

Not sure the dealer would know what to check. Not an isolated incident so might be something that requires a recall.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

wpk

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2013, 03:51:55 PM »

Was out on the new bike yesterday and noticed I had what looked to be a little less than 1/4 of a tank (what my assumption was based on the digital guage).  The fuel light comes on and I start losing power in 6th gear, downshift to 5th, start losing power there after about 1/2 mile.  Long story short, I just made it to the gas station and put almost a full 5 gallons in the tank- so I don't know if there is a fuel gauge issue or what, but I will be watching the milage from here on out and not just the fuel guage.  Let me know if any of you have experienced similar issues with your Breakouts.

Yes!  My fuel light came on.  I checked the range, which said 32 miles.  But it started sputtering then stalled twice at lights.  Fortunate to have had a gas station at the 2nd light.  Filled up close to 5gal and all was fine.  Questioned dealer tech...said the gauge will "get more accurate over time".  Never heard that before.

wpk

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »

I experienced the exact same fuel issue.  When the light came on I was in 6th gear riding down the freeway when it acted like it was starving for fuel.  I down geared to 5th and it acted fine.  After refilling the tank it's been just fine.
When I had it in the shop installing my HD Daymaker Headlamp I talked to the Tech and all he did was scold me for riding in 6th gear during the break in period!  I forgot that was a no no.  Will report back the next time fuel gets low....

I noticed your comment re having the daymaker intalled at the shop.  I ordered one and thought it was plug-and-play, and was just going to do it myself.  Just curious...is ther something more complicated?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »

Yes!  My fuel light came on.  I checked the range, which said 32 miles.  But it started sputtering then stalled twice at lights.  Fortunate to have had a gas station at the 2nd light.  Filled up close to 5gal and all was fine.  Questioned dealer tech...said the gauge will "get more accurate over time".  Never heard that before.

Typical Harley dealership BS.  The gauge itself won't change over time, nor will the setting for the low fuel light.  The only thing that MIGHT change is the miles to empty display, since that's a calculated number that assumes a lot of things you can't really assume.

I believe your tank is a 5.0 gallon tank, so if you were able to add nearly 5.0 gallons immediately after the low fuel light came on, the gauge sending unit is most likely improperly adjusted or bent.  If I remember correctly they usually design the low fuel lights to come on with about .9 gallons of fuel remaining.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CVO Germany

• CVO1: CVO Breakout 2013
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 01:27:12 PM »

Just happend that I run out of fuel! lol, remaining km on the tacho was 38 !! (about 20 miles). Dont trust the gauge anymore!
Jeder ist sein eigener Hüter !

mad cow

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »

Happened to me two weeks ago.  Left the garage with a range of 22 miles on the clock.  Went about 4 miles before it started cutting out.  It would sputter, I would grab a little front brake and the engine would catch again to get up to 60 mph.  Did that every mile for the next 7 miles before I coasted into a gas station.  Well, now I know.

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

Why do people insist on running there bike to the low level light? Great way to suck up any crap that is laying in the bottom of the tank.

I could count on one hand how many times i had that light come on my Fatbob over the 35000km I rode on it. After 200 odd kms I'm looking for a break so I stop, stretch and refuel.
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2013, 07:08:02 PM »

Why do people insist on running there bike to the low level light? Great way to suck up any crap that is laying in the bottom of the tank.

I could count on one hand how many times i had that light come on my Fatbob over the 35000km I rode on it. After 200 odd kms I'm looking for a break so I stop, stretch and refuel.

The pickup (with filter) rests on the bottom of the tank, it doesn't "float" with the gauge float.  So it's unlikely you will suck up any more crap lying on the bottom of the tank when the fuel level is low than you would if the fuel level was high.  Other than that, I agree, running the fuel down to empty isn't a great idea.  The reason however is two fold.  First, running out of gas tends to ruin your ride and your day.  Second, the fuel pump is lubricated and cooled by the fuel.  Running the tank empty can damage the pump.

Of course none of this has anything to do with whether or not the gauge should be accurate.  Absolutely the gauge should be accurate, and you shouldn't run out of fuel with the gauge still showing fuel available.  But of course it's up to each person if they want to accept a lousy gauge and let Harley off the hook.  I guarantee very few would accept the same thing on their car or truck; why is it they accept it on a Harley?

Jerry

89Speedy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Softail Breakout - Black Diamond & Molten Silver
    • CVO2: Gone but not forgotten: 2011 CVO Softail Convertible - Roman Gold & Maple Metallic
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »

When I recently had my new pipes put on in conjunction with the SE tuner, the dealer had to wait for a download (via CD) from the moco.  Apparently the 13's needed a software tweak.  Last week i ran the breakout to about 60 miles remaining and there were no issues.  Coincidence?
The only difference between a mad man and myself is that I am not mad.  I'm not suffering from insanity, I rather enjoy it.

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »

Jerry I couldn't give two f$%*s about the fuel gauge compared to the error in the speedo. GPS 100km/h Breakout 107km/h!
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 11:05:09 AM »

Jerry I couldn't give two f$%*s about the fuel gauge compared to the error in the speedo. GPS 100km/h Breakout 107km/h!

Unfortunately that's not something you can make them fix.  Standards for speedo's are such that they cheat to the high side to avoid reading low.  Reading too low can get you a traffic summons, whereas reading too high doesn't.  And of course Harley doesn't believe in tight tolerances, since they often cost more than the plus or minus whatever the supplier ships they usually tolerate.  Of course if it bothers you you can fix it; it's pretty easy with the right tuning package.  As the tires wear though you'll have to tweak it a bit if you expect perfection.

As for the fuel gauge, glad you don't give a f$%* (or two).  Obviously a lot of other people do, or the several threads on the site bitching about the gauge wouldn't exist.  Oh, btw, I forgot in my last post to mention reason number three.  Running out of gas and stalling while running down the road is also a safety issue.  Try it in the middle lane of a packed freeway running at high speed some day.  If you survive the experience, perhaps then you will give a f$%* about a lousy fuel gauge. :nixweiss:

Jerry

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »

10% error based on GPS indication.  Assuming that the GPS is 100% correct.  What is the margin of error for the civilian GPS units?  Hmmm?
Do it now!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:37 PM »

10% error based on GPS indication.  Assuming that the GPS is 100% correct.  What is the margin of error for the civilian GPS units?  Hmmm?

I've never seen a report on the margin of error for the speed calculation, but the standard margin of error for civilian GPS for location, according to the Defense Department, is about eight meters. 

Jerry

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.