Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Just slip-ons, or go full exhaust?  (Read 11244 times)

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
Just slip-ons, or go full exhaust?
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:13:40 PM »

After doing a lot of thinking, I'm almost sure that I just want to add slip-on mufflers to my Breakout and just ride the thing.  I've had a Deluxe that I tricked out......

Then I traded it in on a Street Glide that I did even more to....

After 3 years, 2 different Harleys (now the Breakout), I think I'm done with dropping a ton of cash on these things!

One of the main reasons to get into the CVO family is because everything is done to the bike except the exhaust.  It HAS TO sound like a Harley.....so the only thing I'm doing to the Breakout is exhaust of some kind.  Z06 Pilot sent me a video and I'm 99% sure I'm gonna just do the Vance and Hines slip ons and be done.  I guess another question I have is should you mess with a bike like the Breakout because it is a rare bike? 

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

• CVO1: 2013 Red Breakout
    • CVO2: 2013 Gold Breakout
Re: Just slip-ons, or go full exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 05:19:05 PM »

Same here, just putting on some Rush slip ons on this winter-hopefully a full 2 into 1 Vance and Hines system down the road. Nothing else; the bike is already where it should be.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »

A CVO is not a "rare" bike, regardless of model.  While fewer of one given model or color might make it seem like it should be rare, they made fewer of that model/color because they don't sell as well as another model/color. As a percent of MSRP, they depreciate just like most any other Harley, with rare exceptions.  Doing something like putting a different exhaust on the bike certainly will not make it worth less.  Now changing tins, painting, or radically altering the "look" of the bike is a different story, if you're concerned about resale values.

The cash cows for the MOCO for several years have been baggers of one description or another.  The "naked" bikes have been slower to move for years.  Not taking anything away from a "naked" bike, but that's just a fact.  I've seen CVO models like a Dyna, Springer, etc. sit on a dealer floor for months at a time.  You rarely see that happen with a bagger.  It's just the market.

Do whatever you want to do with the exhaust, but if you do more than slip on mufflers, you'll need to think about a tuner as well.  IMO.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 05:51:24 PM by Midnight Rider »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 05:58:25 PM »

A CVO is not a "rare" bike, regardless of model.  While fewer of one given model or color might make it seem like it should be rare, they made fewer of that model/color because they don't sell as well as another model/color. As a percent of MSRP, they depreciate just like most any other Harley, with rare exceptions.  Doing something like putting a different exhaust on the bike certainly will not make it worth less.  Now changing tins, painting, or radically altering the "look" of the bike is a different story, if you're concerned about resale values.

The cash cows for the MOCO for several years have been baggers of one description or another.  The "naked" bikes have been slower to move for years.  Not taking anything away from a "naked" bike, but that's just a fact.  I've seen CVO models like a Dyna, Springer, etc. sit on a dealer floor for months at a time.  You rarely see that happen with a bagger.  It's just the market.

Do whatever you want to do with the exhaust, but if you do more than slip on mufflers, you'll need to think about a tuner as well.  IMO.

The market is for what is in now...as for rare, I'd say the Breakout is pretty rare....especially after trying to get one.  But I do get what you are saying.  As for the exhaust, I don't think I really want to go down the tuner, full exhaust and dunno route.  I really like the idea of some Vance and Hines 3" slip ons and calling it done.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »

Go with what you like and enjoy it. Me, I am doing the headers as well but I have an Ultra and I want to reduce the heat so I am pulling the cat. Going to go with the s&s headers and the vance&hines 4" high outputs. If I could live with the heat off the exhaust I would just do the slipons like you.

Enjoy!
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

Jasray

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »

X2 Midnight Riders comments on the Breakout exhaust...

Nicky, I have t say I love that Deluxe that you tricked out, very nice job.  Wish I had one just like that as a second bike.

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 12:43:23 AM »

In my opinion, it all boils down to performance. I've never owned anything with TOO MUCH power. That's why I changed exhaust, cams, head gasket and tuner. This winter I'm really considering head work and throttle body. I sure would like to get my bike to that 120/120 mark like Jim at Metal Dragon posted last week. Great job Jim if you happen across this thread.

Cowboy
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

Nicky Pass

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »

Power is a good thing, but I don't want to spend tons of cash chasing a couple of extra horsepower.  I really just want the sound!

Bretto

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSBSE - Red ones go faster!
    • Rockhampton HOG
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:33:20 AM »

I'm going with a full system, not just for more noise or power but so the pipes finished way before the rear axle to show more of that fat rear wheel.  :huepfenjump3:
Cheers
Brett

2013 FXSBSE with ProCharger - Giddy Up!

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »

I'm going with a full system, not just for more noise or power but so the pipes finished way before the rear axle to show more of that fat rear wheel.  :huepfenjump3:

+1 I agree.  I like the way the V/H Big Radius 2-2 and 2-1 systems angle downward for this very reason....!!

Bretto, hope you get to change your sig soon   :2vrolijk_21:
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:39 AM »

I will be putting my slip ons on over the winter, but am sure I will need to get a tuner anyway because of the excessive popping (running too lean)- which means another $400 on something, probably the Dynojet Power Vision.  It seems a bit more versatile and I can buy an extra license to tune my wife's bike as well.

The market is for what is in now...as for rare, I'd say the Breakout is pretty rare....especially after trying to get one.  But I do get what you are saying.  As for the exhaust, I don't think I really want to go down the tuner, full exhaust and dunno route.  I really like the idea of some Vance and Hines 3" slip ons and calling it done.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 11:54:12 AM »

I will be putting my slip ons on over the winter, but am sure I will need to get a tuner anyway because of the excessive popping (running too lean)- which means another $400 on something, probably the Dynojet Power Vision.  It seems a bit more versatile and I can buy an extra license to tune my wife's bike as well.

Hey Dobe,

FYI.  Got my PV last week.  popped it onto my bike, pulled the factory tune onto it, and sent it to the guys at DynoJet.  A couple of hours later, they emailed it back to me with a few changes to the VE map due to my V/H slip-ons. I copied it onto the PV, hooked the PV to my bike and loaded it......I am impressed with the system.  It is all touch screen driven and has a great user interface.  It remains to be seen how well the tune works as we have about a foot of snow on the ground !  I am going to wheel it out later, crank it and let it warm up.  Then rev it to see if there is any difference in popping as I was getting a lot of that.  Obviously not a very good test, but I'm going to do what I can!

What's great about the PV is that it has 6 slots to load tunes in, and it's very comforting to see "original tune" in slot 6, knowing I can always drop that in and get back to a baseline if needed.

The 2nd bike tune for $199 is very intriguing to me.  If I like what the PV does for my Breakout, I will pay them the dough and see if it can do a better job than the auto tuner I have on my V-Rod.  I checked Dynojet and they have a V-Rod tune for my mods exactly  :apple:
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

Z06-
Thanks for the info.- let us know how the new tune makes everything sound.  Did you get your PV from Fuel Moto. or somewhere else, how much?  Like I said, I know I won't be getting one for a couple months since I can't ride it anyway- not much snow here, but the roads have been salted.  The cover's the bike and I've pulled the battery so I won't be starting it back up until spring.

Hey Dobe,

FYI.  Got my PV last week.  popped it onto my bike, pulled the factory tune onto it, and sent it to the guys at DynoJet.  A couple of hours later, they emailed it back to me with a few changes to the VE map due to my V/H slip-ons. I copied it onto the PV, hooked the PV to my bike and loaded it......I am impressed with the system.  It is all touch screen driven and has a great user interface.  It remains to be seen how well the tune works as we have about a foot of snow on the ground !  I am going to wheel it out later, crank it and let it warm up.  Then rev it to see if there is any difference in popping as I was getting a lot of that.  Obviously not a very good test, but I'm going to do what I can!

What's great about the PV is that it has 6 slots to load tunes in, and it's very comforting to see "original tune" in slot 6, knowing I can always drop that in and get back to a baseline if needed.

The 2nd bike tune for $199 is very intriguing to me.  If I like what the PV does for my Breakout, I will pay them the dough and see if it can do a better job than the auto tuner I have on my V-Rod.  I checked Dynojet and they have a V-Rod tune for my mods exactly  :apple:

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »

hey Dobe,

Yes, Fuel Moto.  Thus far, i have found the support from both them and Dyno Jet to be top notch.  I don't mind paying a few dollars more for great support like FM...I paid $399(I think normally they charge $499?).  I got $150 off the RETAIL price(which is $549) for trading in an old fuel manager I had.  It's a deal they have going at FM called "Tune-In".....

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:10:19 PM by Z06_Pilot »

Dobeman2000

• Senior CVO Member
  • His and Hers

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »

Thanks for the info, and I am sure I will go with them when the time comes to purchase.

hey Dobe,

Yes, Fuel Moto.  Thus far, i have found the support from both them and Dyno Jet to be top notch.  I don't mind paying a few dollars more for great support like FM...I paid $399(I think normally they charge $499?).  I got $150 off the RETAIL price(which is $549) for trading in an old fuel manager I had.  It's a deal they have going at FM called "Tune-In".....

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 21 queries.