Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Homemade air ride  (Read 56956 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Homemade air ride
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:34 PM »

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:27 AM »

That compressor will work great, but I don't like that switch. I would use the CVO ultra switch that operates the lock unlock for the bags. If you look at this site you will find everything you need including parts and wiring!
http://choppedbaggers.com/forums/showthread.php?2938-Air-ride-101

BigLew

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »

Puzzled
I don't have room in front of my battery. I had to put that big power commander plug down there along with an LED remote module. I seen where some guys put in between the frame and the back of the motor but I'm a little concerned about the air line getting too high and weakening.
Why not put it in the fairing and mount it to the metal brackets? I have to run air up there anyway because I'm going to add a pressure gauge in place of the air temp gauge.
Georgia CVO Rider
Ride it until the wheels fall off, then hang-on

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »

Puzzled
I don't have room in front of my battery. I had to put that big power commander plug down there along with an LED remote module. I seen where some guys put in between the frame and the back of the motor but I'm a little concerned about the air line getting too high and weakening.
Why not put it in the fairing and mount it to the metal brackets? I have to run air up there anyway because I'm going to add a pressure gauge in place of the air temp gauge.
We mounted my compressor between the bag bar and the rear wheel on the oppisite side from the drive belt. I have a drop seat kit with no room anywhere. Seems to work very well there.

BigLew

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2013, 08:57:46 PM »

Lew...if theres not a pic ... did it reallly happen..??
 :worthless:

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »

Lew...if theres not a pic ... did it reallly happen..??
 :worthless:
Yeah I knew that was coming. I dont have any way to post pic. No home computer and office firewall can't make it work!

BigLew

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 10:47:26 AM »

Biglew
How long have you been runnign yours? I have a lowering kit that allows me to change the shock position. I'm going to use the first hole and install the monroe shocks. I messured it and at full extension I will not hit pipes or transmission. I think I will just miss being too low and my tire rubbing when I'm all the way down by maybe 1/2 inch.
Georgia CVO Rider

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »

Biglew
How long have you been runnign yours? I have a lowering kit that allows me to change the shock position. I'm going to use the first hole and install the monroe shocks. I messured it and at full extension I will not hit pipes or transmission. I think I will just miss being too low and my tire rubbing when I'm all the way down by maybe 1/2 inch.
Couple of weeks. Took me a little while to figure out the air pressure to ride at. So I ended up putting a guage on the system. Rides great once the pressure is correct for 1 or 2 up. Nice that you can dump the air when you are ready to get off and leave it until you get back on then pump it up.

BigLew

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2013, 07:41:15 PM »

Biglew
If you are running the corvette shocks I believe you will hit when using the lowering kit and a 18" tire.

From my build thread....

We goofed around today checking travel limits on the bike. With a stock 18"x180 the tire makes contact just under the 9 1/4" measurement. It hits on the forward edge of the fender under the seat, an odd place.

With a 16" wheel and a 60 series 180 we did not see any tire contact. The suspension ran out of travel first at 8 5/8". Using the Monroe's and a 1" lowering kit it netted me 8 3/4". So we bolted it together and I took it for a ride. With all of the air out the bike rolls just fine, no contact.

Left side of the bike, swing arm/frame contact point.

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »

Could rub I guess it depends on the bike. I have a 09SERG with an 18" rear (stock) tire and no rub.

Biglew

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 03:51:47 PM »

My bike has an 18 x 6.25 wide wheel. I think the tire is a 230 but I may be wrong. Someone said they thought these tires may have a lower profile than the stock tire.
I am concerned about a catastrophic failure and being left stranded. I'm thinking about adding the valve stem that comes with the Monroe's to the system so I can pump up if the compressor stops working for some reason.
I've just heard about so many people banging the top of their transmissions and mufflers with it pumped all the way up or hitting a pot hole and letting the shocks extend all the way out.

I think the best way to do this is put the valve stem with some extra 1/8" line in a saddle bag. If all else fails, I can put the line on the two shocks pump it up with a hand pump and get the hell home. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Georgia CVO Rider

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »

I put the air gauge in the fairing last night. It looks great. I put the compressor under my radio. It was the only place I had left. Tonight I'm going to change out the switch on the ignition panel for my manual up and down. I'm also going to install a remote with my system.
Hopefully I will have it up and going by Thursday night. If not, I can't get back on it until next week. My thoughts is to have this for fun on local rides, but I will change to the stock shocks for the long out-of-state trips.
Georgia CVO Rider

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 10:51:35 AM »

I doubt that's going to happen. Once you ride the vette shocks enough to get the air pressure correct you will be very impressed with the ride. The stock shocks are junk the high performance shock I had on the last bike, were good for one or the other (performance riding or touring) but never did both well. This system seems to do both pretty good. Make sure when you are using the dump that the bike doesn't fall over if you are using the remote. Some will some won't!

BgiLew

GeogiaCVOrider

• Full CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Ultra Classic
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »

I'm just concerned about the compressor going out in another state and I am left stranded. My tire will be touching my fender when it is all the way down. I just don't want it to hit the top of my transmission if I hit a hole doing down the road.
Georgia CVO Rider

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:38 PM »

I guess if thats your concern then add a schrader (sp) valve in the lines so in an emrgency you could pump them up at a service station.

BigLew
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.