Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power/No power??  (Read 5570 times)

SIKBIRD and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

260SCRMR

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 CUSE3 Crystal Copper/Black Onyx 105th Anniversary
Power/No power??
« on: July 13, 2012, 10:27:10 PM »

I have a real puzzler. We were on a weekend trip this last weekend. We left Friday morning around 8:00 am and made a couple stops before stopping for lunch about 2:00 in the afternoon. I hit the fob to lock the bags and got nothing so thought I had a dead fob battery so I flipped ignition on to use the dash switch and had nothing there either. No dash lights nothing at all. I hadn't had anything like that before so thought I'd let it sit while ordering lunch then come back and check. After I came out to check it about 15 minutes later still nothing. Even though the bike was dead I thought it might be my lucky day because there was a HD dealer less than 2 miles away. I called the dealer and they sent a tech out with another battery hoping that would be the problem. We dropped the battery in hooked the cables back up and it fired right up. It still seemed odd to me that I had no indication of battery problems, my charging system is working fine, and all of a sudden I have a dead bike after half a day of riding, but it was the original battery and the bike was running again so I paid he $180 and figured it could have been a lot worse 300 miles from home and we took off again. We didn't have any more problems the rest of the weekend or since....until tonight. I went out to take a ride into town. I turned on the ignition, waited for the fuel pump, hit the starter got a click, then nothing. No dash lights again, everything's dead. I put a multi tester on and had 13 v. I pulled the cables again, touched the cables to my battery charger turned on the ignition switch and had power. Put it all back together, seat back on, turned on the ignition, nothing again. Besides the 2 bike cables I also have the 2 leads for the battery tender pigtail and 2 other leads that get power to my connector at the rear for my trailer. So I'm thinking I'll only hook up the bike cables and see if that makes any difference. I put it all back together with just the bike cables and now it's all working, at least tonight. I don't know why the trailer connector leads would affect getting power to the bike or even how they work, but since I left them off I don't have any lights on the trailer now. Sorry for the long message, but has anyone heard of anything like this before? :confused5:
True Dual Dresser Headpipes
2" Fullsac Power Cores
Stage 1 Chrome A/C
S.E. Super Tuner
Dyno Tune-Brandts HD

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Power/No power??
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »

maybe you have a short in the trailer leads thats drawing your battery weak or dead  :nixweiss: or it sounds like something somewhere is doing the same.... i hate electrical problems, sometimes they can drive you crazy or to  :drink:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:44:41 PM »

Just a couple quick checks that might be done.

When you hook up the battery cables with all things turned off on the bike, there should not be any spark when attaching the cable.  This would be a gross short.

Most guys will have a 12v test light of some sort.  To light the 12v bulb, it takes a bit of juice from the battery.  With one cable disconnected, clamp one end of the 12v test light to the cable end and then the test light pointer onto the battery terminal.  If you light the 12v bulb, you have a short significant enough to run down your battery over night or not much longer than that.  If you have enough of a draw on the battery to light the 12v light, start pulling one fuse at a time.  If when pulling out a fuse the light stays on, plug back in the fuse and move to another one.  If you're lucky enough to pull a fuse and the test light goes out, you've found the draw.  Now you can back track on that circuit to find your problem.

This is just a very light electrical 101 suggestion, but it's worked for me many times over lots of years.

Good luck.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

260SCRMR

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions, but the strange part of this is that the battery isn't dead. I didn't know that the first time it happened when we replaced the battery, because the HD tech never tested the battery, but when it happened the other night the battery still had 13v on it and I never had to charge the battery. I just unhooked the trailer wiring and tender leads and it was fine all day yesterday. I did take a look at the trailer wiring last night and it's a regular harness with a relay with fused power leads to the battery and trigger leads that plug into the rear light harness on the bike. Everything looks good, I didn't find and thing unusual. I'm not an electical engineer, but it seems that even if there was a problem with the trailer wiring it still shouldn't prevent getting power to the bike if it's got a fully charged battery and the connections are all good.
2" Fullsac Power Cores
Stage 1 Chrome A/C
S.E. Super Tuner
Dyno Tune-Brandts HD

260SCRMR

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45:10 PM »

Well, it cost me a $70 tow charge to a dealer in Sioux Falls SD on the way to Sturgis to find the cause of my no power problem. It was a loose battery cable connection AT THE STARTER! In case anyone else ever has an absolute no power problem it would be something to check. The power goes to the starter before the rest of the bike. A loose connection at the starter is just like a loose connection at the battery.
  Now I have a different problem that I never had before. Sometimes when starting the bike I get just a "click" when I hit the start switch. Sometimes I'll have to hit the switch 3-4 times before it finelly turns over and starts. It happened several times over the 10 day trip, but never left me stranded. I just got home and haven't talked to my dealer about it yet. Anyone have any ideas?

2" Fullsac Power Cores
Stage 1 Chrome A/C
S.E. Super Tuner
Dyno Tune-Brandts HD

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 06:22:36 PM »

Well, it cost me a $70 tow charge to a dealer in Sioux Falls SD on the way to Sturgis to find the cause of my no power problem. It was a loose battery cable connection AT THE STARTER! In case anyone else ever has an absolute no power problem it would be something to check. The power goes to the starter before the rest of the bike. A loose connection at the starter is just like a loose connection at the battery.
  Now I have a different problem that I never had before. Sometimes when starting the bike I get just a "click" when I hit the start switch. Sometimes I'll have to hit the switch 3-4 times before it finelly turns over and starts. It happened several times over the 10 day trip, but never left me stranded. I just got home and haven't talked to my dealer about it yet. Anyone have any ideas?

Solenoid switch?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 06:51:49 PM »

You may have a positive wire shorting, electrical probs are a total pain, I had heaps on my last bike that turned out to be a faulty ignition switch...it can be so simple but a buggar to find...hope you find it easily and quickly....j
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

Snapperkid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »

Samething happened to my buddies bike, bad starter. 20K miles
2015 Road Glide Special
2014 Honda Goldwing (When moma rides!)
2013 Breakout CVO (Bar Hopper)
2013 Road King CVO (Sold)
2009 Ultra CVO (Sold)
2011 Road King Custom (Sold)
2012 Road Glide CVO (Sold)
2012 Street Glide CVO (Sold)
2011 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Street Glide (Sold)
2009 Road Glide (Sold)
2002 Road King (Sold)
1994 Softtail Springer (Sold)
1972 Harley (Can't Remember)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:55:10 PM »

Just wondering if this was ever resolved.  I have the same issue.   Sometimes I turn the key on and I get power, other times, nothing.   At least that's how it started.   When I got power, I was able to start the bike and ride it no problem.

But today, while I was riding - suddenly, no power.  Bike completely shut down, radio, engine, etc.  Nothing.   I flipped the ignition switch a few times and finally got power back.  Started and rode again.   Lost power a second time and drove the bike home.

On the way, I rode over as many "bumpy" surfaces I could find to see if something was loose and causing intermittent problems, but no.   When I pulled in the garage, I jiggled the ignition switch in every direction, no problems.

Not sure if this might be a relay, ECM issue, ignition cluster problem or other - would like to know where I should start.

By the way, battery is fully charged and charging system is working.  Battery about 1 yr old extra capacity.   Bike is 2015 FLTRUSE  (CVO RG Ultra)

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 22 queries.