Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: On bike helmet storage?  (Read 7887 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
On bike helmet storage?
« on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:25 AM »

Looking at helmet purchases for our summer trip and wondering where the heck you store these things? Feel free to post pics! Thanks!

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: On bike helmet storage?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »

My Arai FF fits in the TP, my HCI-100 half helmet goes in a saddlebag.  If my wife and I are both wearing FF, one of us ends up carrying a helmet.
The best you've had is the best you know.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »

My Arai FF fits in the TP, my HCI-100 half helmet goes in a saddlebag.  If my wife and I are both wearing FF, one of us ends up carrying a helmet.

That's what I was afraid of you have to sacrifice a lot of space in the tour pak. I may just get a half for both of us. What to do what to do lol.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »

You could probably use a short cable lock on the TP mount and hang them both behind the bike.

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »

In my trailer!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

ChopperPilot

• 1K CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2023 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2020 FLHXSE (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2014 FXSBSE (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:25:06 AM »

I just wear mine.
2023 CVO Street Glide
Whiskey Neat
Khrome Werks Duals

2019 Heritage Classic 114 Special
Silver Flux and Black Fuse
Rinehart 2 into 1 Pipe
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand and Blaze Orange
Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 2 Pipes
Screamin' Eagle Super Tuner

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »

:-\
When you're not riding and if you are a bird lover to boot,  be sure to hang your helmet upside down on your garage wall and leave the garage door open.  It won't take too long before you will find leaves, pine straw and other trash built up inside the helmet.............don't ask how I know that to be a fact. :drink:

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »

I use a small cargo net until I need to, have to, or want to wear my helmet. Cargo net hooks to almost any hard points. On a long trip (like you have planned) I definitely would include a full face in case you hit rain. I'm sure you have checked but only TN and NC are the "required" States in your way. I take them along or use a cable lock if I go in somewhere and can't see the bike, if I can (see the bike) I just leave them. At night, either in the tour-pac or in the room. Although a PITA I always take my all weather bike cover. Gets to be a lot doesn't it !  Trip triage is usually good for a two hour argument followed by an evening of silence.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 11:23:30 AM »

Depends on space available.

If space allows I store my helmet in the TP or SB.

If space doesn't allow and it's a short stop I take it with me. For longer stops I've locked it to the crash bar. I've done the same with my leather, cable through the jacket to one of the crash bars. When stopping for food I'll take my helmet with me and clean the shield/visor.

I recently purchased a helmet that is a little bigger than a half helmet and shorter than my open face. It has a removable flap around the neck/ear area which is nice. It isn't cumbersome to carry or store.

http://ls2helmets.us/_live/products/half-helmets/90-products/half/109-hh568

2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »

Try something like this:  HELMETLOK RUBBERIZED UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE CYCLE CRUSIER ATV HELMET LOCK
Those work well right up to the point that someone cuts your strap.

Which is why I prefer a cable lock.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 01:06:07 PM »

:confused5:
"Which is why I prefer a cable lock."

Unless you're locking up a full face helmet and run the cable thru the eye slot,  how is a cable lock gonna survive the "cut strap" scenario cause the "d" rings that hang from the strap (usually) are about the only available connection point to lock one up. :nixweiss:

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »

Isn't cutting the strap (for the thief) like shooting himself in the face? I can't remember seeing a place that fixed helmet straps so they would survive an accident.

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

05Train

• Mind is not for rent
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2014, 01:32:02 PM »

:confused5:
"Which is why I prefer a cable lock."

Unless you're locking up a full face helmet and run the cable thru the eye slot,  how is a cable lock gonna survive the "cut strap" scenario cause the "d" rings that hang from the strap (usually) are about the only available connection point to lock one up. :nixweiss:
Yup, through the eye port.  I've had an expensive Shoei ruined from a cut strap.  People are simple, and those idiots have no issue f*cking up people's stuff.

deldago

• Elite CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »

:-\
When you're not riding and if you are a bird lover to boot,  be sure to hang your helmet upside down on your garage wall and leave the garage door open.  It won't take too long before you will find leaves, pine straw and other trash built up inside the helmet.............don't ask how I know that to be a fact. :drink:
Been there and made the mistake of telling my animal loving wife. Since there were already eggs in the nest I wasn't allowed to serve eviction papers. Two months later I threw the helmet away.
T-MAN 117 kit

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »

I use those helmet locks that bolt onto the crash bars. One up front for me, one out back for the passenger. After reading the reviews about lock failure on the carabinier, I'm not so sure that's a good product. Too many riders had to cut it off with bolt cutters. A long shackle Master Lock will do the trick. You can hang the helmet off your mirror and lock the DD rings to the mirror post. They sell them with rubberized casings as well.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 05:18:41 PM »

I just wear mine all the time. I have found that wearing into public places and businesses I get faster service. Kinda nice in restaurants too, cuts down on all the noise so I can enjoy my meal....

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »

I just wear mine all the time. I have found that wearing into public places and businesses I get faster service. Kinda nice in restaurants too, cuts down on all the noise so I can enjoy my meal....

LMAO

Reminds me of the commercial with the convertible and the ski masks...
2023 CVO Road Glide

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2014, 06:02:38 PM »

Try walking into a bank in a full face helmet with a dark visor down,.......
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2014, 06:04:03 PM »

I'm thinking they won't find humor in that....
2023 CVO Road Glide

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 08:03:41 PM »

On the long trips out of my home state I just wear it due to the fact that I'm surrounded by several helmet mandatory states.

FWIW I wear a half helmet and if I get to a place that I can leave it off and I decide to do that, it it gets stashed in the TP  or put under the bungie net that I use for securing our gear bag on the rack- The wife likes to wear hers at all times so I only have to "store" one while we're riding. At stops we try to park where we can keep an eye on the bike and when that's possible we just leave them on the seat. If we can't do that they go in the tourpack.
BTW I usually travel with the tourpack almost empty just so I have a place to lock up the helmets and jackets when we stop for extended periods - this does require some judicious use of space on longer trips, but we've managed so far
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »

We just lock them in the tour pak. When I get to my room I pull out the tour pak luggage and put the helmets in. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 08:50:46 PM »

We just lock them in the tour pak. When I get to my room I pull out the tour pak luggage and put the helmets in. Billy

Sounds like a plan.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 12:37:57 AM »

I cut a couple of tongue depressor sized pieces out of Titanium, drilled a 1/4" hole in each end (one end for the corner studs at the bottom rear corners of the chopped tour pak, the hole in the other end for a small lock).
Like the Gold Wing
Nowhere near as secure as a fullsize tour pak, but a very handy place to park the helmets if you can keep an eye on them.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:04:52 PM by FlaHeatWave »
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »

I always wear mine and when I stop for eats and/or drinks it easily locks in one of my panniers or top box.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2014, 10:55:16 AM »

Got this. I like it, don't remember where I got it from though. If you're interested I'll go through email receipts to find it.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:02 AM »

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »

Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2014, 12:37:37 PM »

Not sure if you mean while you are parked and out for the day or taking them off and storing them while you are riding.  I made a 1/4" cable and crimped heavy duty eyelets, so I could wrap the rubber coated cable anywhere and lock helmets or a leather jacket if needed while we are off the bike.  I made several sizes for different applications.  While riding two up my wife always wears her FC helmet.  If I ride without it I only have to store one and put it in the tour pack and just stuff something inside it if room is an issue.  I rode without a helmet for decades, now with Tinnitus in both ears I use ear plugs and a helmet to protect my hearing.  Lots of ideas on this post. 

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2014, 01:40:26 PM »

Not sure if you mean while you are parked and out for the day or taking them off and storing them while you are riding.  I made a 1/4" cable and crimped heavy duty eyelets, so I could wrap the rubber coated cable anywhere and lock helmets or a leather jacket if needed while we are off the bike.  I made several sizes for different applications.  While riding two up my wife always wears her FC helmet.  If I ride without it I only have to store one and put it in the tour pack and just stuff something inside it if room is an issue.  I rode without a helmet for decades, now with Tinnitus in both ears I use ear plugs and a helmet to protect my hearing.  Lots of ideas on this post.

Neither of us have ever worn a helmet we always have avoided states with helmet laws. This trip we can't do that so we will have them on only while traveling through those areas. If we can find a comfortable half helmet I could see not worrying about storage and just wearing them because that would be easier then taking up valuable space.

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2014, 05:32:43 PM »

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2014, 01:22:18 AM »

When we were riding through states with no lid law, we just put them on the BBQ rack and used a cargo net over them.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:51 AM »

When we were riding through states with no lid law, we just put them on the BBQ rack and used a cargo net over them.

I use a saddlemen tour pak rack back I suspect that is where I will secure them while not in use. Thank you all for the responses. I'm open to suggestions on a comfortable half helmet that has a minimal mushroom head look!

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 05:56:55 AM »

I use a saddlemen tour pak rack back I suspect that is where I will secure them while not in use. Thank you all for the responses. I'm open to suggestions on a comfortable half helmet that has a minimal mushroom head look!
What, you and the ms's don't want to look look bobble heads, lol...............  :nixweiss:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange (sold 2020)
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »

I seldom wear the helmet and the wife always wears hers. If riding and not wearing the helmet I put the helmet under a cargo net on top of the tour pack rack.

When we stop for lunch or to sight see we just leave them sitting on the seat. Have never had a problem. But with half or 3/4 helmets the only way to secure them to the bike is through the "D". Not the best solution but probably enough to keep an honest person honest. After all that is all a lock is good for, if they really want it they will find a way to get it regardless of the locks.

I have used a bicycle cable lock to secure the helmets to the luggage rack when we leave them for extended periods of time. At night they go in the room or inside the tour pack.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2014, 09:39:21 AM »

What, you and the ms's don't want to look look bobble heads, lol...............  :nixweiss:
exactly

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Breakout
    • CVO2: 2015 Ultra Limited
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »

I'm open to suggestions on a comfortable half helmet that has a minimal mushroom head look!

I got an Akoury and it is the smallest lightest DOT cert. helmet out there IMO. It's only slightly larger than the novelty brain bucket I bought and my wife won't let me ride with! The price ain't bad either.

http://www.akouryhelmets.com/

Cam

Apologies for posting yet another picture of me on my bike. Just wanted to show what it looks like.  :-[

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2014, 05:33:43 PM »

I got an Akoury and it is the smallest lightest DOT cert. helmet out there IMO. It's only slightly larger than the novelty brain bucket I bought and my wife won't let me ride with! The price ain't bad either.

Cam

Apologies for posting yet another picture of me on my bike. Just wanted to show what it looks like.  :-[

Which one did you get and how do the sizes run... true?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »

Cam

Thank you and it's a beauty post more pics  ;D

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2014, 05:53:36 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

X2 which one?

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:43 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I got the AK88 size L and it fit perfectly. The sizes run true.

Thank you and it's a beauty post more pics  ;D

Thank you! And since you insisted! ;) Two more angles.

Cam
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:20:22 PM by camcvo »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2014, 06:21:08 PM »

I got the AK88 size L and it fit perfectly.

Cam
Is that the normal size you'd wear... IE: if I have a large now and got a large from them they would fit the same... little leery of buying helmets online w/out trying them on for fit/comfort.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cambo

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »

Is that the normal size you'd wear... IE: if I have a large now and got a large from them they would fit the same... little leery of buying helmets online w/out trying them on for fit/comfort.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Good question. I just checked the sizes on my other helmets. I have two HD and two Bell helmets , all of them size large. The Bells fit perfectly and the HD helmets had a couple of pressure points but are now comfortable after wearing them a couple of times. The Akoury fit just right from day one. Hope this helps.

Cam

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »

Good question. I just checked the sizes on my other helmets. I have two HD and two Bell helmets , all of them size large. The Bells fit perfectly and the HD helmets had a couple of pressure points but are now comfortable after wearing them a couple of times. The Akoury fit just right from day one. Hope this helps.

Cam
Awesome, yes it does. Thanks. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2014, 06:53:43 PM »

If the thieves want them bad enough their gonna get em, we usually just strap our helmets to the seat or TP rack, no one has ever messed with them.
As far as buying helmets go try them on , it's the only way you'll know, we prefer half helmets with integrated  pull down visors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2014, 08:14:21 PM »

I got the AK88 size L and it fit perfectly. The sizes run true.

Thank you! And since you insisted! ;) Two more angles.

Cam

Sweet ass! Love the way the helmet looks and fits too thanks for sharing!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 20 queries.