Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Is the 110 Motor Cursed?  (Read 11548 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
Re: Is the 110 Motor Cursed?
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »

We are "uncursing" another 110" to a 124", brought in from the Boston metro area this morning. :D
Scott

Kind of like performing an exorcism...
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »

Straight-forward engine building, nothing more. :)
Scott

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »

We are "uncursing" another 110" to a 124", brought in from the Boston metro area this morning. :D
Scott

Thanks for helping me understand a bit more than I did about this 110 thing. This move is one of the things I did not understand. Taking Harley biggest motor and making it bigger that results in a lifting of the curse???? I guess the point is that the better and more carefully matched components solve the issues.

The types of posts like Steve Cole, Street Performance and Hillsidecycle make are especially helpful because they get at the WHY of the problem.

I would then say they are cursed by design being essentially a bastardization of the smaller more reliable engines. :D

INDEPENDENT_1

• Superior Performance
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • independentmcshop.com
    • independentmcshop.com
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2014, 02:04:13 AM »

Let's not forget that seat pressure isn't the only thing one needs to worry about. Just because it has 175 lbs on the seat doesn't make it good or make it bad. Just as a straight versus beehive doesn't make it good or bad. To many people pick one thing out and assume it causes the issue when it is a combination of things most of the time. The advantage of a beehive spring really is only is one thing, and that is it allows for more lift in the same area, due to its design, it can be made just as wrong as any other spring design.
Ditto.
Oil pressure and volume have plenty of room for improvement and the Feuling OE+ pump and plate is less money, move volume and more pressure than the stock pump and plate. Another problem, heat. Its the enemy of an air cooled engine especially and it pretty amazing how much just a little more fuel can cool these motors down. Customer demands more cubes, EPA demands tighter restrictions. The result is a recipe for heat. The stock throttle by wire ratio setting gave HD the opportunity to not get into the accel enrichment table helped pass emissions as did the 255 cams. The other big problem I believe is the mathematicians who look at bikes sold vs bikes coming in for warranty work and they have cut corners in places they shouldnt have based on the knowledge they have of units sold and the bottom line for profits there vs warranty claims and the loss of money there. Sadly, as one of the last American icons, the pendulum has swung from quality (2002 is probably the best year in terms of quality IMO) to the ugly, corporate attitude and have become more interested in their shareholders than their products or their customer satisfaction. I run nearly 30 psi in pretty damn hot weather on my HC version of the S&S 124 and Im betting the spring pressures are much higher than the 110" mills from MoCo and I havent heard of a crate S&S T124 failure that I can think of right at the moment... but... many of the larger type builds as I just mentioned are tuned considerably richer and in open loop many times. That being said, they dont crank 215 PSI either but on the other hand, that kind of cylinder pressure does increase heat. Did I just speak in full circle? It wouldnt be the first time if so.  :D
Specializing in American V-Twin and Authorized Factory Pro 4 Gas Dyno Tuning!

independentmcshop.com

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2014, 09:46:47 PM »

Scott

are you building the 110 into a 124 or swappin out for a crate a motor.
thanks terry
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2014, 05:54:42 AM »

are you building the 110 into a 124 or swappin out for a crate a motor.
thanks terry

Boring his existing cases, and installing S&S 4 5/8" flywheels/4 1/8" cylinders.
66mm S&S t/hog, using his cylinder head castings, and a tame cam that'll produce HUGE torque where a touring machine can use it, maintaining a pump-gas friendly combo.
Scott

Desertwndrr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »

Which cam?  Just curious.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »

I can pm that info to you if you'd like. :)
Scott

Johnny Boy

• '11 CVO RG Ultra

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:24 AM »

No engine problems on my '11 CVO RG until now @ 40K. Crankshaft is presently being replaced and under a full warranty job. Started making some really strange noises (that famous steel marble kinda noise) so my HD guy replaced the compensator and tensioner but no joy. Cam bearing no issue so he "went in" and found connecting rods with a lot of friction against side plates. Adjuster says they see this from time to time so....awaiting parts as I speak.

Looks like I will need to cancel Maggie Valley next week.   

Also, seriously thinking on selling it to avoid any of those dreaded future engine issues.
CVO 1: 2011 FLHTRUSE
Fulsac 110 Sleeper Kit...otherwise pretty much stock

1968 Norton Commando (Under Construction) - the 1085th Commando built so an very early one

When life throws you a curve, lean into it

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »

"To many people pick one thing out and assume it causes the issue when it is a combination of things most of the time"

It was said that save bore size and a few other things the 110 and 103 are pretty close,... except, the 103" does have different valve springs. While I agree that beehives are not better than others, the springs/seat pressure in the 110" must be having an impact on the lifters with all of the documented failures in the 110". Around here many 103" owners swap to 255 cams (a/c the hills & twisties I guess), and don't have the lifter failures their 110" buddies have. 
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2014, 12:42:42 PM »

Not so much the seat pressure, but rather the nose pressure at peak lift, and the rate of spring on the climb to the compressed state.
Scott

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

"To many people pick one thing out and assume it causes the issue when it is a combination of things most of the time"

It was said that save bore size and a few other things the 110 and 103 are pretty close,... except, the 103" does have different valve springs. While I agree that beehives are not better than others, the springs/seat pressure in the 110" must be having an impact on the lifters with all of the documented failures in the 110". Around here many 103" owners swap to 255 cams (a/c the hills & twisties I guess), and don't have the lifter failures their 110" buddies have.

A spring in general has many things you need to look at that most skip right over. All springs vibrate and all the components that are involved in the valve train will do the same. So you can put a stiffer push rod in and change how the spring reacts. Lot's to look at and more than one thing can and will cause an issue. I do not know just why the 110 killers lifters so much faster than a 103 but you first need to look at what different and see how those parts may effect the failure. Since we know the valve angle, valve size, valve weight and valve spring are all different between a 110 and a 103 it could be any one of those items or a combination of them causing the lifter issue.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »

Sounds like the 103 motor might be a better motor, more reliable anyway.

Ridgerunr

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 06:06:18 PM »

Thanks Steve and Scott. Your knowledge way more than I know, and your explanations make perfect sense.
2004 Roadglide 113" (sold)
2014 CVO RoadKing
2015 RGS
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.