Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock 2019 SERG seats.....rain issues  (Read 2178 times)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Stock 2019 SERG seats.....rain issues
« on: September 16, 2019, 11:11:58 AM »

Wow theses seats suck up rain like a sponge.   I had a wet butt for 4 days  of rain.

Any thoughts on how to fix this without changing seats.  I like the stock seats except for this issue????

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Stock 2019 SERG seats.....rain issues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 11:28:35 AM »

Is the cover actually soaking up water, or is it the foam?  Unless I'm thinking of something else, I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be a water barrier layer between the seat cushion cover and the foam.  Without something to keep the foam dry, it will eventually rot and stink.  If it's just the cover, you may need to treat at least the leather portion with a leather treatment that repels water.  The vinyl portion shouldn't absorb water, but you'd still need to treat any seams.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:23:25 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ponte

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 01:12:26 PM »

Regardless of what seats I am running on the bike, I coat them up with Protect All. Unfortunately while this protects the outside materials, water still will get in through the stitching and eventually into the foam. I don't know how you would prevent that to be honest. Hope you find a solution....

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »

Is the cover actually soaking up water, or is it the foam?  Unless I'm thinking of something else, I'm pretty sure there is supposed to be a water barrier layer between the seat cushion and the foam.  Without something to keep the foam dry, it will eventually rot and stink.  If it's just the cover, you may need to treat at least the leather portion with a leather treatment that repels water.  The vinyl portion shouldn't absorb water, but you'd still need to treat any seams.

Jerry

It’s the foam    I do not see a barrier , Jerry.  Very odd especially since I treated 2 times

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 03:18:13 PM »

It’s the foam    I do not see a barrier , Jerry.  Very odd especially since I treated 2 times

I remember another site member complained about the foam of his seat being soaked several years back; I and others mentioned the barrier (plastic wrap or bag) that is supposed to prevent the foam from soaking up water.  Unfortunately I can't remember what the outcome was and if he got it fixed or not.  Call Harley and let them know what's happening, you may or may not get a straight answer but make sure it's on record.  Knowing how they have been constantly cheapening things, perhaps they let the supplier eliminate the water barrier material. :nixweiss:  All I can suggest is to go over the entire seat and seal all the seams.  The stuff Harley gives you when you buy the bike seems to work well if you really work it in then let it sit for awhile before buffing the residue.  Check the directions on the container for specifics.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 07:57:01 PM »

I left my '18 outside during the weekend because I was working on the 'hack.. and it freaking poured on Saturday...

had to go out Saturday Evening with some friends... did a quick wipe-down of the scoot, did the best I could to mop the seat knowing it would be soaked as it is perforated leather, climbed on and got wett ass.

Wasnt particularly entertaining.

Next time I'll sit on the damn towel and see if it helps.

Sent from my Samsung Chromebook Plus (V2) using Tapatalk

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »

Wow theses seats suck up rain like a sponge.   I had a wet butt for 4 days  of rain.

Any thoughts on how to fix this without changing seats.  I like the stock seats except for this issue????

Have you considered buying one of those covers that only cover the seats of the bike?  They stretch fit over the nose of the rider seat and go back either to the back of the passenger seat, or possibly over the pass. back rest on tour-pak models.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touring-seat-rain-cover---rider-backrest

https://www.amazon.com/Saddlemen-Harley-Davidson-Touring-without-Backrest/dp/B007KPRAE2

This one includes a pass backrest cover (2 pieces):  https://www.saddlemen.com/rain-cover-h-d-touring-seat-with-backrest-harley-davidson

Here's the search results page:  https://www.google.com/search?q=harley+davidson+touring+seat+rain+cover&oq=harley+davidson+seat+rain+covers&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.18461j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
If you want peace, prepare for war.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 06:04:42 AM »

Have you considered buying one of those covers that only cover the seats of the bike?  They stretch fit over the nose of the rider seat and go back either to the back of the passenger seat, or possibly over the pass. back rest on tour-pak models.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touring-seat-rain-cover---rider-backrest

https://www.amazon.com/Saddlemen-Harley-Davidson-Touring-without-Backrest/dp/B007KPRAE2

This one includes a pass backrest cover (2 pieces):  https://www.saddlemen.com/rain-cover-h-d-touring-seat-with-backrest-harley-davidson

Here's the search results page:  https://www.google.com/search?q=harley+davidson+touring+seat+rain+cover&oq=harley+davidson+seat+rain+covers&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l4.18461j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I do not want to use this when I am riding in rain

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:28:34 AM »

Just when I think Harley couldn't possibly amaze me any more with their ineptitude, they come out with a huge sponge disguised as a seat and somehow think it's a good idea on a vehicle that is used outdoors where things like rain happen pretty often (in at least some parts of the world).  It was bad enough when just the seams leaked, but now they use perforated leather inserts too?  Rocket scientists strike again at H-D.  I guess you guys will have to wear rubber underwear and pants if you want to avoid the dreaded wet azz.  How about a black wet suit and just tell anyone who asks it's a new style of riding gear?

Jerry

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »

Just when I think Harley couldn't possibly amaze me any more with their ineptitude, they come out with a huge sponge disguised as a seat and somehow think it's a good idea on a vehicle that is used outdoors where things like rain happen pretty often (in at least some parts of the world).  It was bad enough when just the seams leaked, but now they use perforated leather inserts too?  Rocket scientists strike again at H-D.  I guess you guys will have to wear rubber underwear and pants if you want to avoid the dreaded wet azz.  How about a black wet suit and just tell anyone who asks it's a new style of riding gear?

Jerry

Jerry, you are dead-spot-on.  Spent a week riding in the north woods of Wisconsin and Minnesota and after several rainy days my butt looked like a prune.  My fellow riders got quite a kick out of me wearing rain pants on sunny days so I switched to a small garbage bag that managed to work its way out and fly toward the bikes behind me like a balloon.   This issue and the fact that the bike sumped a couple of times (after riding for an hour there was no power like it wasn't getting air or fuel unless we stopped for 10 minutes to idle)  caused me to take a lot of crap from the group.   Never had these issues with my 2011 SESG.....yuk

Bob

« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 08:44:31 AM by bbrown »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »

I do not want to use this when I am riding in rain
OK.  Nevermind they keep the seat foam dry, whether you're riding or not.  Your idea is much better.  (BTW, what was your idea again?)

You were using the garbage bag wrong:  You have to cut three holes in it, at and near the bottom seam, then pull it over your head.

Or maybe you'd prefer a full bike cover with 3 holes cut in it for head and arms.

How about a black wet suit and just tell anyone who asks it's a new style of riding gear?
Jerry
Sorry Jerry, he doesn't want to wear that when he's riding in the rain; apparently, it must be based on a garbage bag.   ::)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 01:46:17 AM by Para Bellum »
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »

Back in the 80's black garbage bag and bread sacks for hands and feet was my rain gear.  ;D My employees called me man from glad. At least I was somewhat dry when I got to work.

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 10:46:05 AM »

Back in the 80's black garbage bag and bread sacks for hands and feet was my rain gear.  ;D My employees called me man from glad. At least I was somewhat dry when I got to work.

Oh man do I ever remember those days, but more like the 70’s for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.