Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leaking petcock  (Read 2972 times)

rtbasey

Leaking petcock
« on: December 01, 2009, 03:47:11 AM »

I have a 2001 FXDWG2 that has a tank petcock that is dripping slightly from the surface between the outside casting with the diaphram and the casting next to it.  You have to turn the petcock around to get to it.  I tried tightening the four screws but that did little.  I then tried Seals All which is supposed to be gasoline resistant that was recommended on a blog related to gas tank repair for motorcycles.  That worked the first time after the application but the next time I had the bike out it leaked again and worse.  I'm thinking of trying Permatex Hylomar.  I could just buy a new petcock but it just seems that it should be an easy fix.  I could see no obvious problems, no warpage, no diaphram problems.  I'm surprised that there is no gasket or O ring.  Seems that the very slight extra thickness of the diaphram is the only thing that might compress to make a seal.  Anybody else run into this? 

Any ideas?  Thanks

Terry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Leaking petcock
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »

Terry, it's been awhile since I had a petcock equipped Harley, but if I remember correctly H-D sells a repair kit for them.  I would recommend replacing the rubber parts versus trying to seal everything up with aftermarket sealants. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.