Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Author Topic: Anyone upgrade to the new Stage II Audio?  (Read 40401 times)

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
Anyone upgrade to the new Stage II Audio?
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:46:14 PM »

I believe the new Boom Stage II speakers only came out recently, but was curious if any of you have upgraded to them yet?  If you have a 2015 CVO Street Glide, how well do you like them.?

The upgrade requires the purchase of a 2nd amp.  Each 300 watt amp runs 2 speaker locations.  On the CVO Limited, the book calls for the 2nd amp to be mounted to the tourpack.  Does anyone have a photo of an under tourpack mounted amp?  Has anyone ever had an issue with their under tourpack amp failing due to water damage?

I ordered all the parts for the upgrade this afternoon, but they won't be in for a week.  I've read countless pages on audio upgrades, so I hope I've chosen to go the right direction.  I toyed with the idea of going with an Arc amp and Focal speakers, but it seemed like a pricey option and I didn't want to have to modify anything for the new system.

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO3: 2015 CVO Street Glide. 2014 CVO Soft tail
Re: Anyone upgrade to the new Stage II Audio?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »

The sound is great, not as loud as I made my 2014 SGS when I added saddle bag speakers and upgraded them all to the premium ones and added a 850 watt amp from J&M Rokker that just pumped out the sound.   I hope they come out with some more wattage amps for the stage 2.  You will love the sound and probably say Rambo must be deaf. LOL.

FLCVORoadGlide

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »

This mod is being done as I write this.   MOCO knowledged today that my bike was the first bike being modeled for this.    Got extremely lucky I have a retired Command Sergeant Major electronics military Tech doing the work.   MOCO has no plug in harness for the front fairing speakers.    When I left tonight he was installing the amp ( rear ) and speakers.   I'll keep you posted.   The reason I upgraded is the 2015 doesn't even come close to the sound on my 2013 CVO Road Glide. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:31:56 PM by FLCVORoadGlide »

FLCVORoadGlide

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »

Front left stage II speaker being installed.

FinalShot

• 2015 CVO Limted
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 12:52:56 AM »

I believe the new Boom Stage II speakers only came out recently, but was curious if any of you have upgraded to them yet?  If you have a 2015 CVO Street Glide, how well do you like them.?

The upgrade requires the purchase of a 2nd amp.  Each 300 watt amp runs 2 speaker locations.  On the CVO Limited, the book calls for the 2nd amp to be mounted to the tourpack.  Does anyone have a photo of an under tourpack mounted amp?  Has anyone ever had an issue with their under tourpack amp failing due to water damage?

I ordered all the parts for the upgrade this afternoon, but they won't be in for a week.  I've read countless pages on audio upgrades, so I hope I've chosen to go the right direction.  I toyed with the idea of going with an Arc amp and Focal speakers, but it seemed like a pricey option and I didn't want to have to modify anything for the new system.

It is my understanding from reading the other HD forum that us CVO riders have to have another wire harness. The issue is that stock amp wire harness is internal to main harness and does not have connector 313 near radio that you would have when installing the P&A Front Amp and harness. This connector is required to plug-in front grill mounted tweeters. One person found 313 under their seat or back by the tour pak. Another guy decided to buy the pins and a blank connector and pin it out himself in the fairing where it should be. I guess the SG and UC have 313 up in the faring.

Also, I am sure you know, if you are doing the upgrade yourself, make sure you have the amps flashed prior to ever turning on the radio. I was talking with a tech at Adam Smith and he said the first one they did, they fried 3 of the 4 speakers and didn't even have the power turned up past a couple notches. I guess there are big warning stickers on the speakers as well.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:35:23 AM »

My bike is in for the install also.  As others have pointed out, the CVO's are missing the 313 harness for the mids/tweeters up front.  I had asked my dealer not to splice any wires as I had read about the rear seat harness someone else pointed out on another forum.  My service adviser stopped work on my bike until he could call me to discuss the issue.  He said he'd like to let his tech splice into the correct wires and made a harness himself.  I told them to go ahead and do whatever they would do on their own bike.  The tech did say he'd already spent about 8 hours on this install so far......He said I won't be charged that much as this was their first stage II install and they had to figure a few things out.  I'm glad I didn't try to tackle it myself.  I decided it wasn't worth the effort since the amps and head unit needed to be flashed.  Here are a few photos of the install:

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »

Started by reading this thread, next went to HD website for part numbers; finally went to dealer who seem totally confused on what I will need. My bike is a 2015 CVO Road Glide, my desire was to do rear amp and speakers, and wait until later in year to do fronts. I now have dealer, HD website, and HD customer service giving me conflicting information. So now I come to the experts ( you guys ) how do I proceed?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »

anyone??? First question is can I do just the rear speakers and tour pak amp?
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 01:28:44 PM »

I don't believe there is a way to only do 2 speakers with the Stage II while leaving the others stock.  You could do just the fairing, but you wouldn't have any sound from the rear since your all four channels of your amp would power the 2 fairing speakers.  For the full upgrade, your bike will require the 2nd amp, Tour-Pak amp mounting kit, and 4 speakers.   Both amps and the radio need to be flashed for the Stage II install. 

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 01:29:14 PM »

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:38 PM »

Front left stage II speaker being installed.

How did your stereo turn out?  Any problems?

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2007 Suzuki M109R Limited, still in the stable
    • CVO3: 2013 Road King CVO Crushed Sapphire - Traded
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 10:16:01 PM »

My bike is in for the install also.  As others have pointed out, the CVO's are missing the 313 harness for the mids/tweeters up front.  I had asked my dealer not to splice any wires as I had read about the rear seat harness someone else pointed out on another forum.  My service adviser stopped work on my bike until he could call me to discuss the issue.  He said he'd like to let his tech splice into the correct wires and made a harness himself.  I told them to go ahead and do whatever they would do on their own bike.  The tech did say he'd already spent about 8 hours on this install so far......He said I won't be charged that much as this was their first stage II install and they had to figure a few things out.  I'm glad I didn't try to tackle it myself.  I decided it wasn't worth the effort since the amps and head unit needed to be flashed.  Here are a few photos of the install:

dgreen, how is your upgrade working for you?  I had mine upgraded to the Boom Stage II as well on my 14 CVO Limited.  My fairing speakers cut in and out when above 60% volume.  Of coarse the AVC doesn't work properly, therefore I have to turn it up to hear it on the highway.  The fairing speakers also have a weird pinging sound with every beat when turned up.  I don't have any video because it's while I'm riding.  Next week I'm going to talk to the dealer that installed it.  But it must be something they wired incorrectly.  If they spliced my 40K bike, I will loose my mind.  I went with this upgrade to avoid splicing...  Have you experienced any of this with yours?

2014 CVO Limited SE Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire. Mods: TTS Tuner, FullSac DX Headers, 4" Rinehart Slip On's, SE Extreme Ventilator A/C, Chrome Laser Heat Shield, HD Lower 2.5" Daymaker Reflector LED Fogs, Custom Dynamics LED front and Rear Turn Signals, Adj Hwy Pegs, Split Vision Mirrors, Boom Shorty Antenna's, SoftBrake Brake & footboard Ext, CD Accent LED's, 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks Bars, 9" LRS Dark Tint

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 07:29:34 AM »

CreeseHD,

My Stage II is acting very much like yours.  I can get great sound out of the system, but if I'm within a couple of bars of max volume my front speakers will also cut out momentarily.  I'm guessing the pinging sound you are hearing is similar to what I think it clipping.  I'm not positive, but that seems to trigger when the speakers cut out.  Some songs can be played at max volume without issue.  Others cause the clipping (or pinging) and my fairing speakers are in and out.

There was a thread on another forum by JM Audio and they noticed the same thing when they tested the Stage II speakers.  Their speakers also cut in and out.  John said he figures the system can be fixed by Harley with a new flash.  I'm not exactly thrilled that the system isn't 100% perfect after spending almost $1,700 for parts and installation.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »

If they spliced my 40K bike, I will loose my mind.  I went with this upgrade to avoid splicing...  Have you experienced any of this with yours?

Unfortunately, there is a VERY good chance they had to splice into 4 wires from the harness in your fairing.  For some reason, the CVO's don't have the 313 connector that the Stage II speakers reference in their mounting instructions.  Non-CVO owners who have to purchase the fairing amp separately will have the connector on the included harness.  For those of us who bought CVO's with the amps already installed, the connector isn't there.  There is an option to use a harness that is under the rear seat by the tourpack, but none of the dealers around me had the harness that plugged into it.  If that harness is used, the wires are brought back under the seat into the fairing where they are used to power the front mids/tweeters.  My service advisor stopped the installation when they came across this problem so he could consult me.  Ultimately I told them to do whatever they would do on their own bikes.  My mechanic did a nice job soldering into the necessary wires and making it look clean and factory.

I spoke to another forum member here who had the system installed, but found it wasn't right.  He had the dealer rip everything out and he put it back to stock.  He said Harley ate the labor charge and took the parts back with a refund.  I'm not to that point yet, but I also haven't ridden my bike much since I had the install.  It's freezing outside and we just got 7" of snow last night  :-[

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »

dgreen, I just had mine installed this past Wednesday Feb 18th.  It has been freezing here in Kansas City as well.  Yesterday it finally hit 45 degrees.  I was very excited to test the system. It sounds like a million bucks in the garage.  On a ride is a different story. Boy was I disappointed.  I think you are absolutely correct with how they installed it because the only issue is with the fairing speakers.  At least your tech called you...

I will call the dealer and the MoCo to figure out a plan.  Unfortunately I travel a lot for a living, so I'll have to have them come pick up my bike once again while I'm gone and get it right!  The only acceptable options for me would be to install the correct 313 harness and it operates as intended or put it all back to stock and refund everything! That also includes replacing the original harness they spiced. (whatever that takes)

It will be back down to the 20 degree range and snow the next 2 weekends I'm home.  This is about to get interesting.  Please keep me updated and I'll certainly do the same for everyone...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:18:23 AM by CreeseHD »

2014 CVO Limited SE Jupiter Blue / Wicked Sapphire. Mods: TTS Tuner, FullSac DX Headers, 4" Rinehart Slip On's, SE Extreme Ventilator A/C, Chrome Laser Heat Shield, HD Lower 2.5" Daymaker Reflector LED Fogs, Custom Dynamics LED front and Rear Turn Signals, Adj Hwy Pegs, Split Vision Mirrors, Boom Shorty Antenna's, SoftBrake Brake & footboard Ext, CD Accent LED's, 10" LA Chopper Twin Peaks Bars, 9" LRS Dark Tint

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 07:17:45 PM »

CreeseHD,

Check out the CVO Street Glide forum on this site.  It looks like others are experiencing the same cutting out we are.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:43 PM »

Thanks dgreen, I'll do that.  Also, do you know what the harness part # is that your tech thought it needed, but no one had one in stock?

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »

This is a cut and paste from another member on HDForums:

"Bottom line CVO Limited has stock front amp with no 313 connection point behind fairing. The wiring comes out of amp and goes directly into main wiring harness. It is not the separate style harness you would find in the P&A Amp kit. It is unique to CVO Limited. So with that said, the only possible connection point is at the tour pak, near seat screw. What you do is install the 69200714 interconnect harness which comes in the kit. Then you install a 69200489 jumper harness which is sold separately and run that under tank, behind fairing and plug into tweeter/midrange connector. This takes the place of the 313 connector which is missing on CVO."

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 07:59:16 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks for the info!  I'm sure my service guys won't have a clue and take a week to try to figure it out!

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 08:07:40 PM »

As a side note, how much of a difference did your mods make to your bike's power?  Did you notice much of a difference with the tuner?

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »

It's a world of difference once I had it properly tuned.  This run was done while it was literally 100 degrees in the room.  I feel even more hp and tq when it's cool outside.
Was: HP = 88, Tq = 104
Now: HP = 98, Tq + 116
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:54:20 PM by CreeseHD »

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

• CVO1: CVO 2014 Limited
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »

Harleywild1hog, I just had stage II boom added to my 2014 CVO limited. The dealer had a lot of trouble with install the first one they did. Tech had to call tech support many times problems with flash. Also had problems with instructions not very clear. Also the limited doesn't have the 313 harness. After talking to tech support and finding out there is no other way to make it work right with out that harness. I was lucky that the dealer had a front fairing amp kit, they took the harness out of it. Also had many errors he had to clear from radio. He than had one other problem tech support was closed after 3PM on Friday. Got the system to work on the front speakers ok but wouldn't work on woofers for tour pack. When I left the dealer on Friday night the tech was still working on it. The tech finish it on Saturday after finding that one cable from the 313 harness had to be plugged into the rear tour pack near back fender not shown in PA instructions. He did a very good job with the install very no spices at all. Also no problem with losing any settings. AVC is working ok. Will ride more this week. The dealer was very fair with the install only charge me 450.00. After working on it 3 days. I am off work because I got hit on my old Harley lady ran red light. Had three screws in my hip and leg was broken. Happen Sept 23 2014 still not back to work. So I have a lot of time.  :orange: :orange: :orange: Harleywild1hog

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:55 PM »

Harleywild1hog, I'm glad you're recovering and back in the saddle.  dgreen said the same thing.  Now, I at least know what to say when I go in the shop.  It's just a shame I have to go back to get it right.  Harley needs to make this very clear in it's instructions.  They also need to make the part readily available.

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »

CreeseHD I hope all works out for you on your Boom stage II trip back to the dealer. Let us know what happens.
Thanks Harleywild1hog

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 12:08:34 PM »

I spoke to the service mgr today. He said they used the additional jumper harness. He said they called Harley and Harley walked them through it. They also said they did NOT splice at all. They will pick up the bike next week while I'm out of town to troubleshoot it. This weekend I will remove the faring and trace the lines myself to see if what he said he did is accurate.

Honestly, now it's even more disappointing. If they installed everything correctly and it still doesn't work, then I think I will have them pull all of it out. :( I'll let everyone know what they find after they troubleshoot it next week. If anyone comes up with a plan let me know.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 10:26:41 PM »

The cutting out issue is complete BS!  My original system sounded good and never did that.  I'm not going to tolerate it with an upgrade that cost me around $1650 in parts and labor.  I'm going to try to drop my bike off this week also.  I'm going to show them what it is doing and may also have them pull everything out.  If Harley is willing to refund the parts, I don't think I would even argue over the labor (for the install anyways).

After reading the Street Glide forum, it looks like the issue is with the system and not our bikes.  If anyone has luck either getting their system perfect or having the parts taken out, let us know.

Here is a question....does anyone know if a new hole was drilled into the tourpak pods?  There are now two sets of wires going into the pods and my bike has two grommets with wires going through them.  I am going to be VERY much pissed if holes were drilled for the install.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 10:53:56 PM »

The cutting out issue is complete BS!  My original system sounded good and never did that.  I'm not going to tolerate it with an upgrade that cost me around $1650 in parts and labor.  I'm going to try to drop my bike off this week also.  I'm going to show them what it is doing and may also have them pull everything out.  If Harley is willing to refund the parts, I don't think I would even argue over the labor (for the install anyways).

After reading the Street Glide forum, it looks like the issue is with the system and not our bikes.  If anyone has luck either getting their system perfect or having the parts taken out, let us know.

Here is a question....does anyone know if a new hole was drilled into the tourpak pods?  There are now two sets of wires going into the pods and my bike has two grommets with wires going through them.  I am going to be VERY much pissed if holes were drilled for the install.

I hope they didn't drill into my bike!! I won't be able to check it out until this weekend! I will completely come unglued!!! I agree, if they can't fix the issue on the intended bikes, there may be no hope in trying with ours...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:14:28 AM by CreeseHD »

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 01:30:47 PM »

Hi guys. I will go by the dealer near me today, they have a new 2014 limited on the show room floor I will check and see if there are two harness out of tour-pack. I will be pissed also if they drilled holes in my tour-pack.  Also have two harness coming out of my tour-pack :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:. Also will ride :orange: mine today and make sure it doesn't loose sound and AVC works and doesn't loose any setting. Harleywild1hog. :orange:

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »

Great! Let us know!

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2015, 05:40:31 PM »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it looks like they drilled a second hole into our tourpak pods.  There was a Rushmore Ultra Limited trike in the service area and I took a peek.....only one wire and grommet in each tourpak pod.  My bike has two now   :'(

I got so annoyed with my Stage II system this afternoon that I just dropped my bike off at my dealer.  I went for a spin around the area to play with the system a bit.  I'm 100% convinced the Stage II system sounds worse than the Stage I while riding.....and I'm not even talking about the cutting out.  I think it sounds worse when it's working.

I told my service advisor how unhappy I was with the system and told him I wanted my bike put back to stock.  He said he wanted to see if Harley had a fix, and I agreed that is fair.  If they don't have a fix now, I'm not waiting for one to come out.  I'm insisting everything be put back to normal.  I'm not sure what's going to be done about my tourpak pods.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:07 PM »

That is bad news. I agree that it does sound worse than my boom stage I. I can't even hear the thing while riding. Grant it,  i've only written it once since it was installed. I was so disgusted I parked it. I'll take a look when I get home this weekend to see if I have two holes in mine...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 09:57:34 PM by CreeseHD »

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 09:42:40 PM »

I'm just curious, but the stock Infotainment system has been in the bikes for more than 19 months now, it still does not work right, issues with AVC, cutting out and so on.  Why would some on think, the upgrade would work as intended when the original does not?
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »

I'm just curious, but the stock Infotainment system has been in the bikes for more than 19 months now, it still does not work right, issues with AVC, cutting out and so on.  Why would some on think, the upgrade would work as intended when the original does not?

I thought the sound was pretty darn good on my stock CVO.  I figured the Stage II must be even better.  Shame on me!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:06:14 PM by dgreen1069 »

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 10:01:21 PM »

Just trying to not stop believing and keep hope alive... lol

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »

Hi guys. I will go by the dealer near me today, they have a new 2014 limited on the show room floor I will check and see if there are two harness out of tour-pack. I will be pissed also if they drilled holes in my tour-pack.  Also have two harness coming out of my tour-pack :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:. Also will ride :orange: mine today and make sure it doesn't loose sound and AVC works and doesn't loose any setting. Harleywild1hog. :orange:

Well, how did it go yesterday?

Copyless

• GA

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCU (close to a CVO)
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2015, 07:23:19 AM »

I told you back  on 2/11 when you ask this question on another forum that a new 1" hole would be drilled in both pods to run the harness for the tweeters.

Harleywild, Your tech apparently doesn't know how to follow instructions, because the instructions tell you exactly what plug to use, and then if he did not know where the plug was, the CVO svc manual supplement would show him exactly where the plug is located. At least it's done (I guess it is) anyways.

I also mentioned this somewhere else, but it does not have to be spliced or the harness part ending in 489 does not have to be used (although this is the route 99% will take), the pins from the connector can be pulled and new pins put in the connector and then wired to a new molex end that will plug into the harness for the tweeters right in the fairing, this is the route I am taking. I see no reason to run a source from the fairing to the TP and then back to the fairing, when I need it in the fairing and it is already in the fairing. Doing it my way you have it right there where it originates from, and if someone ever chose to, they could pull the new pins from the connector and replace the original 4 pins that are right there, and the whole radio/amp harness is exactly the way it came from the factory. I hope if HD does do something for the CVO's it will be this, a 1 foot or so jumper with the 4 pin molex on one end and the 4 tyco pins on the other, and then the installer can do exactly as I mentioned, just pull the four pins from the amp connector and install the 4 with the new jumper.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »

I told you back  on 2/11 when you ask this question on another forum that a new 1" hole would be drilled in both pods to run the harness for the tweeters.

Harleywild, Your tech apparently doesn't know how to follow instructions, because the instructions tell you exactly what plug to use, and then if he did not know where the plug was, the CVO svc manual supplement would show him exactly where the plug is located. At least it's done (I guess it is) anyways.

I also mentioned this somewhere else, but it does not have to be spliced or the harness part ending in 489 does not have to be used (although this is the route 99% will take), the pins from the connector can be pulled and new pins put in the connector and then wired to a new molex end that will plug into the harness for the tweeters right in the fairing, this is the route I am taking. I see no reason to run a source from the fairing to the TP and then back to the fairing, when I need it in the fairing and it is already in the fairing. Doing it my way you have it right there where it originates from, and if someone ever chose to, they could pull the new pins from the connector and replace the original 4 pins that are right there, and the whole radio/amp harness is exactly the way it came from the factory. I hope if HD does do something for the CVO's it will be this, a 1 foot or so jumper with the 4 pin molex on one end and the 4 tyco pins on the other, and then the installer can do exactly as I mentioned, just pull the four pins from the amp connector and install the 4 with the new jumper.

I remember you saying something about the tourpak pods, but I thought it only applied to the non-CVO bikes.  For whatever reason I thought the extra wire would be fished in through the port hole.  What the hell are guys supposed to do if they want to switch to something else down the road.  We now have an extra port on our speaker pods.  It's enough to piss off the Pope!  It was supposed to be a plug and play system.

Copyless

• GA

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »

You would have to do one of two things, leave the harness like it is, which is the one I most likely would do, or remove the harness and just get a 1" plug and put in the hole where the grommet is now. I know you are upset about the upgrade, and I don't blame you for being upset anyone spending that amount of money would be PO'd. Remember, I bought all of the Stage II for my CVO also, and I already had the BT equipment sitting here in the box ready to be put on, but what I'm trying to get at, is, I still say the problem is what I told you it was the first time you told me it was doing this, so for this reason (now that it is lots of people with the same issue) I will say that it is in the flash that HD uses for the system and this part will be resolved, I am sure, but at least now that I know that basically everyone has this issue, I am sure HD will get it resolved but it may take a couple of months, hopefully less. I have had a few items from HD that did not operate on initial release, I mean I was one of the first people with the iPod controller when released, me and (I can't remember for sure) like 7 or 8 others had this 4 or 5 hundred dollar item that would not even make any sound or work at all. It took us several days of working constantly on it to figure it out, but it worked, and HD made the revision to the install. Anyway I hope that it gets fixed soon, the biggest problem I see is, we most likely won't know it is fixed, until we hear from others that have the Stage II and don't have the problems you and others are having.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:01 AM »

I've been reading the threads on both forums guys and something has been nagging at me about it. The new '15 CVOSG comes with this set up. I haven't read any reports of guys that have them say they are having any issues with it. Makes me wonder what's different on the SESG than doing the add on. Makes me think it's in the flashing of the amps.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2015, 09:30:02 AM »

Check out the CVO Street Glide forum here.   Guys aren't complaining about the sound, but they are experiencing the cutting out issue.

Check out this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100211.0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 09:36:31 AM by dgreen1069 »

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2015, 09:33:16 AM »

I've been reading the threads on both forums guys and something has been nagging at me about it. The new '15 CVOSG comes with this set up. I haven't read any reports of guys that have them say they are having any issues with it. Makes me wonder what's different on the SESG than doing the add on. Makes me think it's in the flashing of the amps.

I've been wondering the same thing. Unfortunately, I will not make it home to KC this weekend due to snow. I have to be in Denver for the week starting Monday, so I won't have a chance to trace all the harnesses and look and see if there's two holes in my pods until next weekend. Hopefully, enough people have complained to where they are at least trying to write an updated flash.  I hope this happens before riding season in KC kicks in the next 30-45 days!

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

Check out the CVO Street Glide forum here.   Guys aren't complaining about the sound, but they are experiencing the cutting out issue.

Dgreen. Very true! The 15 CVOSG owners have had the same cutting out issue. But none of them complain about the sound itself. This is so frustrating!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:00:19 AM by CreeseHD »

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »

Check out this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=100211.0
I haven't even looked in the SG forum. Only watched the general audio threads.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Copyless

• GA

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 03:41:07 PM »

I haven't read the other threads or anything, but I want to get a little more info so that I may dig into the problem a little deeper, when I do actually get around to tackling this problem. My biggest question right now is, Is everyone experiencing this on just the front speakers and not the rear speakers? So, what I need to know is that when the front cuts off (it does cut off right? as in stays off for a period of time) the rear speakers continue to play? If the rear does continue, has anyone let it play until the rear quits or until the front kicks back on? I was 98% percent sure that it was a flash problem, but I need to get these answers to follow up, because I have one more scenario, that it could be, but I need to do some testing and these answers will help a lot.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 03:55:30 PM »

I haven't read the other threads or anything, but I want to get a little more info so that I may dig into the problem a little deeper, when I do actually get around to tackling this problem. My biggest question right now is, Is everyone experiencing this on just the front speakers and not the rear speakers? So, what I need to know is that when the front cuts off (it does cut off right? as in stays off for a period of time) the rear speakers continue to play? If the rear does continue, has anyone let it play until the rear quits or until the front kicks back on? I was 98% percent sure that it was a flash problem, but I need to get these answers to follow up, because I have one more scenario, that it could be, but I need to do some testing and these answers will help a lot.

On mine, both the front and back have cut out.  Never at the same time, and only for a few seconds.  The front seems more prone to the problem than the rear, but I've experienced both.  My dealer asked me on Thursday the same question as Harley wanted them to replace one of my amps.  I told the dealer it was absolutely not an amp issue since both amps were cutting out at different times.  On top of that, my amp was functioning just fine when I dropped the bike off for the upgrade.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 06:24:04 PM »

As far as I can tell it's just the front on mine. But I only rode it once for a short amount of time. I won't be able to ride it till next weekend.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 07:04:15 PM by CreeseHD »

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »

I am having the same problem with it cutting out sometimes. Took it back to the dealer and they looked at it again and the tech called support and they told him to check the solfware he did and I also check it and to make sure it has 1.18.3  which is the latest. I check a new street guide at the dealer it has 1.18.3 in it also. I am also sometimes having problem with the AVC. I have to turn if off and back on and it works ok. The sound it great. I am going to call MOCO tomorrow and complain about it. It has to be the flash on the radio not the amps because both amps have drop out. I work on equipment at work doing Point of Sale upgrade and dispenser upgrade and the different manufactory release solfware all the time that is not right. Then they will send a batch or upgrade. I will give them a little while to make it right or they can take it out. Harleywild1hog.

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 09:29:31 PM »

Mine was doing with the old firmware, I am hoping that the new one took care of it, but to cold to ride and find out. 

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2015, 06:31:04 AM »

I am having the same problem with it cutting out sometimes. Took it back to the dealer and they looked at it again and the tech called support and they told him to check the solfware he did and I also check it and to make sure it has 1.18.3  which is the latest. I check a new street guide at the dealer it has 1.18.3 in it also. I am also sometimes having problem with the AVC. I have to turn if off and back on and it works ok. The sound it great. I am going to call MOCO tomorrow and complain about it. It has to be the flash on the radio not the amps because both amps have drop out. I work on equipment at work doing Point of Sale upgrade and dispenser upgrade and the different manufactory release solfware all the time that is not right. Then they will send a batch or upgrade. I will give them a little while to make it right or they can take it out. Harleywild1hog.

Do you think the sound is better than your stock system was?  Mine sounds decent in the garage, but I swear it's a step backwards when I'm riding.  Throw on the cutting out problem which never happened with my stock system, and I am less than pleased.  I REALLY wish I had just waited instead of being an early adopter.  I have been 100% satisfied with my bike until now. 

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2015, 09:41:06 AM »

I thing when it is working right the system is very clear. I can hear it fine on the freeway at 80 nice and load and sounds good. I would be happy if they get it right. I like a lot of bass and I am not a hard rock guy or AC DC type music. I Love country music and easy listening.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »

Do you think the sound is better than your stock system was?  Mine sounds decent in the garage, but I swear it's a step backwards when I'm riding.  Throw on the cutting out problem which never happened with my stock system, and I am less than pleased.  I REALLY wish I had just waited instead of being an early adopter.  I have been 100% satisfied with my bike until now.

I feel the exact same way.  Sounds excellent in the garage, but on the one ride I took, it's horrible...

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »

I feel the exact same way.  Sounds excellent in the garage, but on the one ride I took, it's horrible...

Mine is still at the dealer.  They called today and said they've tried swapping the amps without success.  Harley told them to try new fairing speakers, so they've ordered them.  I called Harley Customer Service and have asked them to take the parts on return and to put my bike back to stock.  I haven't heard back so I don't know where things stand.  I appreciate my dealer trying to help, but I don't think the speakers are the issue with all you other guys reporting similar issues. 

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »

It needs better amplification.  Period!!  They need a 500watt front and back to drive everything.  :drink:

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »

It needs better amplification.  Period!!  They need a 500watt front and back to drive everything.  :drink:

They should have made better amps and speakers to handle everything! But honestly, my amp worked just fine with my Boom 1.  MoCo should not have put this out on the market...  It's a complete scam! And yes I have the Boom II installed, I should have waited, I could have spent my money elsewhere and I need my head examined.  I completely agree! Please wake me up...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 10:13:52 AM by CreeseHD »

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »

That makes two of us!   My bike has been at my dealer for over a week and a half now trying to get the issue sorted.  I also told them I wanted the system removed if it didn't work properly.  I opened a case with Harley last Wednesday, asking that they put my bike back to stock and refund my purchases.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

That makes two of us!   My bike has been at my dealer for over a week and a half now trying to get the issue sorted.  I also told them I wanted the system removed if it didn't work properly.  I opened a case with Harley last Wednesday, asking that they put my bike back to stock and refund my purchases.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do!  I'll let you know what answer the service manager gets from MoCo tech.  I can tell you he will probably say the same thing all the other techs said.  I'm going to officially open a case as well.

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2015, 12:02:11 PM »

Just wanted to let you know I took my bike in for the cutting out problem on 3/5/15. Talked to the Harley tech support on 3/4/15 and he said to have the tech call support before he starts working on stage II cutting out problem. I was at the dealer waiting and the tech did call and they walked him through reflashing it again. This time it reset everything. Had to reprogram and reset back ground on display. Tech took a 10 mile ride and said it was not cutting out. Before I posted this I put 100 miles on it and no cutting out at all. The sound is very clear on freeway. The only thing is the AVC still does not work and have to turn it off then on again. Called Harley talked to Heath again and he told me they are working on that problem with Harmon Kermon who makes the radio for them. I listen to satellite radio about 98 percent of the time. I would like to stronger antenna for it. I am happy at this time with it. I will kept you posted. Haleywild1hog  :orange: :orange: :orange:

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »

Just wanted to let you know I took my bike in for the cutting out problem on 3/5/15. Talked to the Harley tech support on 3/4/15 and he said to have the tech call support before he starts working on stage II cutting out problem. I was at the dealer waiting and the tech did call and they walked him through reflashing it again. This time it reset everything. Had to reprogram and reset back ground on display. Tech took a 10 mile ride and said it was not cutting out. Before I posted this I put 100 miles on it and no cutting out at all. The sound is very clear on freeway. The only thing is the AVC still does not work and have to turn it off then on again. Called Harley talked to Heath again and he told me they are working on that problem with Harmon Kermon who makes the radio for them. I listen to satellite radio about 98 percent of the time. I would like to stronger antenna for it. I am happy at this time with it. I will kept you posted. Haleywild1hog  :orange: :orange: :orange:

That is promising.  Maybe there is a fix after all.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed one way or the other.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2015, 12:15:38 PM »

Harleywild1hog,

Would you mind giving this a try:

Please perform the following steps using the on board audio diagnostic tool:
1. Put run switch in the RUN position.
2. Hold the MUTE button on the radio while turning the ignition on.
3. Wait until the confirmation message comes up.
4. Confirm (Agree) and release the MUTE button.
5. In the AUDIO section select EQ. That will list all applicable EQ and audio options.
6. Scroll through to find the one that is currently loaded (orange background).

I'm trying to see if your new flash is the same as mine.  I have confirmed that I DO NOT have the same program as the new CVO Street Glides.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »

Thanks for the update!  Please keep us updated as to if the "fix" holds.  As far as your satellite signal. I moved my antenna from inside the faring. It's way back on the upper right hand side if facing the front of the bike, to outside the fairing right of the vent when sitting on the bike.  Right above the voltage gauge.  I now have great signal.  It still cuts out a little beneath overpasses, but that's to be expected.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:26:03 PM by CreeseHD »

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2015, 12:25:35 PM »

Thanks for the update!  Please keep us updated as to if the "fix" holds.  As far as your satellite signal. I moved my antenna from inside the faring. It's way back on the upper right hand side if facing the front of the bike, to outside the fairing right of the vent when sitting on the bike.  I now have great signal.  It still cuts out a little beneath overpasses, but that's to be expected.

CreeseHD,

Can you also see what program they put in your bike?  I'm curious if that's our issue or not.  If he has one and you and I have another, we may be track towards a fix.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »

Harleywild1hog,

Would you mind giving this a try:

Please perform the following steps using the on board audio diagnostic tool:
1. Put run switch in the RUN position.
2. Hold the MUTE button on the radio while turning the ignition on.
3. Wait until the confirmation message comes up.
4. Confirm (Agree) and release the MUTE button.
5. In the AUDIO section select EQ. That will list all applicable EQ and audio options.
6. Scroll through to find the one that is currently loaded (orange background).

I'm trying to see if your new flash is the same as mine.  I have confirmed that I DO NOT have the same program as the new CVO Street Glides.

That would be excellent if there is a fix! You guys may be on to something.  I'm going to use your instructions to find out what I have...

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »

For reference, my radio shows 146_OFF.bin.  Apparently these .bin files change with each variation of programming....it's dependent on all the selections the tech chooses when they program the radios for amps, stage II speakers, etc.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 12:39:27 PM by dgreen1069 »

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »

CreeseHD,

Can you also see what program they put in your bike?  I'm curious if that's our issue or not.  If he has one and you and I have another, we may be track towards a fix.

Mine says 146_OFF.bin

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »

Mine is set to 146_OFF.bin

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »

Mine is set to 146_OFF.bin

Dang, that doesn't help.  The Street Glides have 16_OFF.bin.   I wonder why the difference

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »

Sorry mine is the same. Also thanks for antenna info. will move mine. Will also test my radio this week will ride it as much as I can.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »

Dang, that doesn't help.  The Street Glides have 16_OFF.bin.   I wonder why the difference

Who knows... I went on Harley Davison.com and gave bad reviews for the front and rear Boom II speakers. People need to know before they make the same mistake!

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2015, 07:34:46 PM »

Who knows... I went on Harley Davison.com and gave bad reviews for the front and rear Boom II speakers. People need to know before they make the same mistake!

I've been warning others on the forums, but hadn't thought to leave a review on the Harley site.  I just the same in hopes of saving others the same aggravation you and I have had.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »

I've been warning others on the forums, but hadn't thought to leave a review on the Harley site.  I just the same in hopes of saving others the same aggravation you and I have had.

Good! It took them over an hour to actually post my review. I stopped a guy from buying it when I was at the Harley dealer yesterday. He was inquiring about it at the parts counter. I told him everything I was going through and to check out the form. He ended up walking away from the parts counter. I made it very known, and I want the dealership to know that I'm making it known. I will stop every sale that I see.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2015, 09:13:26 AM »

I got a call from my dealer yesterday.  Harley had advised them to replace my front speakers, but they've been back ordered until 4/30/15.  My bike has now been at the dealer for two weeks....I'm still kicking myself for being such an early adopter of the Boom Stage II.   Man I wish they'd just take everything out and put me back to stock.   This has been a colossal waste of time and money.    Very disappointed.

mrambo4

• Full CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2015, 11:37:56 PM »

sad thing is the system is good, just find the dang bug in the software and add more power to the amp to push some power 

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »

Wanted to give you a up date. Ride my bike 300 miles this week with no problems with it cutting out on Boom stage II after the last flash up grade. The only problem is with the AVC have to turn it off then on. I stop by my dealer on 3/12/15 and let the service manager know that it hasn't drop out. Only problem is the AVC control he said he will watch for updates on that. No clipping in the speakers at all. After I moved the satellite antenna it works a lot better but every once in a while the station drop out. I will ride it more today and next week. Harleywild1hog

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2015, 10:54:49 AM »

I'm glad your system is working.  I'd love to know what they did to make it work right. My dealer spent hours on the phone with Harley, but never could get mine right.  They had planned to replace my front speakers to see if that was the issue, but I was notified this week that the speakers are on back order until Apr. 30th.   I'm having the system removed and put back to stock.  I've given up  :-[

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2015, 11:12:27 AM »

Wanted to give you a up date. Ride my bike 300 miles this week with no problems with it cutting out on Boom stage II after the last flash up grade. The only problem is with the AVC have to turn it off then on. I stop by my dealer on 3/12/15 and let the service manager know that it hasn't drop out. Only problem is the AVC control he said he will watch for updates on that. No clipping in the speakers at all. After I moved the satellite antenna it works a lot better but every once in a while the station drop out. I will ride it more today and next week. Harleywild1hog

Can you share the name of your dealer and service advisor?  I'd love to give them a call to see what they did to get the system working right.

Harleywild1hog

• My new ride
    • CA

« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »

House of Thunder Morgan Hill Ca. Talk to Andrew is the service manager or Phil. Telephone # is 408-776-1900. John Langton = Harleywild1hog

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »

Thank you!  I couldn't get a hold of them earlier, but I'll keep trying.

Rkw

« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2015, 08:35:36 PM »

Gents/Ladies:

I initiated a discussion on the 2015 CVO SG forum regarding the SG stereo. The stereo sound at rest and riding is awesome on my 2015 CVO SG, but using my IPOD Nano (can't tell you if it occurs with radio/Sirius) only, I have experienced on a few occasions my amp shutting down, as if I blew it out with max volume. It would last just a few seconds, then come back on.

Someone, in response to my post, introduced me to clipping-and I believe that's the issue on my CVO SG. I researched clipping some more, and I attribute the rare occurrence to a few songs that cause this problem.

I am going to track which song/songs are playing when this occurs again.

Sorry to hear some of you having a problem upgrading your stereo, but hopefully they resolve the problems with time.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »

Gents/Ladies:

I initiated a discussion on the 2015 CVO SG forum regarding the SG stereo. The stereo sound at rest and riding is awesome on my 2015 CVO SG, but using my IPOD Nano (can't tell you if it occurs with radio/Sirius) only, I have experienced on a few occasions my amp shutting down, as if I blew it out with max volume. It would last just a few seconds, then come back on.

Someone, in response to my post, introduced me to clipping-and I believe that's the issue on my CVO SG. I researched clipping some more, and I attribute the rare occurirence to a few songs that cause this problem.

I am going to track which song/songs are playing when this occurs again.

Sorry to hear some of you having a problem upgrading your stereo, but hopefully they resolve the problems with time.

RKW,
That was me in the Street Glide forum.   What I don't understand about the issue is that my bike never clipped when it was stock with just the Boom speakers and one amp.   I could play ,y radio at max volume  for hours without issue.  Why adding a second amp and supposedly better speakers causes the amps to cut out is beyond me.   In my opinion, Harley messed up this upgrade by not having it perfect when released.  I'm sure there are a hundred guys having issues for each one of us reporting it here.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2015, 08:50:46 PM »

Well, that was fun  :oops:

After a total of about a month in the shop, my bike has gone full circle.  Not quite a week for the Boom Stage II install, and a bit over 3 weeks to try to get it working and finally removing it. 

It seems to me that Harley is letting this whole Boom audio thing ruin an otherwise great run of motorcycles (the Rushmore bikes).  What should be simple software fixes seem to take forever to come out.  With each new update, some problems are fixed, but new ones are created.  My AVC used to work, now I have to turn it off and on each time I ride.  My GPS used to default to Canada, but now it's back to the US (I'm glad they got that right).  The Boom I stuff wasn't killer, but it was pretty darn good.  It was good enough in fact that I was willing to give their Stage II stuff a try sight unseen.  My dealer never could get my system to stop cutting out at higher volumes.  On top of that, it never did sound as good as my stock CVO radio at speed.  Very disappointing to say the least.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2015, 09:55:54 PM »

Well, that was fun  :oops:

After a total of about a month in the shop, my bike has gone full circle.  Not quite a week for the Boom Stage II install, and a bit over 3 weeks to try to get it working and finally removing it. 

It seems to me that Harley is letting this whole Boom audio thing ruin an otherwise great run of motorcycles (the Rushmore bikes).  What should be simple software fixes seem to take forever to come out.  With each new update, some problems are fixed, but new ones are created.  My AVC used to work, now I have to turn it off and on each time I ride.  My GPS used to default to Canada, but now it's back to the US (I'm glad they got that right).  The Boom I stuff wasn't killer, but it was pretty darn good.  It was good enough in fact that I was willing to give their Stage II stuff a try sight unseen.  My dealer never could get my system to stop cutting out at higher volumes.  On top of that, it never did sound as good as my stock CVO radio at speed.  Very disappointing to say the least.

Dave, I Just landed in KC and saw ur post. Harley called me 2 days ago saying there's a software update bulletin that just came out. I said I could care less and to take it out. I'm going in to see my dealer face-to-face tomorrow. Now that is going to be interesting...  My bike has been in the shop with the boom 1's in the tour pack awaiting re-install since I've been out of town. Yeah, real interesting...

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2015, 10:09:32 PM »

My dealer said Harley was not the easiest to deal with on this issue.   My service advisor is convinced the speakers themselves have an issue.   He suspects that's why they are now on back order.   Personally, I think it's the software.   I'd love to hear a Stage II system that sounds like it's supposed to.  Best of luck!!!

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2015, 10:19:21 PM »

My dealer said Harley was not the easiest to deal with on this issue.   My service advisor is convinced the speakers themselves have an issue.   He suspects that's why they are now on back order.   Personally, I think it's the software.   I'd love to hear a Stage II system that sounds like it's supposed to.  Best of luck!!!

Thanks. I'm going tomorrow afternoon. We shall see.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2015, 04:56:41 PM »

I picked up my bike this afternoon.  The Boom II is still in it for now.  I was able to speak with Harley over the phone along side the service manager. I was able to confirm Harley has put out a PA regarding the issue. The amps are the issue according to them.  They are going to replace both amps and the front speakers because they are blown due to the ineffective programing of the original amps.  Harley has agreed to remove and refund me if this fix doesn't work.  My bike is going back in on the 25th or 26th once the software is released and the new equipment arrives.  Once again, we shall see..  See attachment for the PA.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2015, 05:03:56 PM »

At least it's something.  Good luck!

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »

Thanks Dave.  If they can't get it right.  I will be riding up to Sound Customz later this spring...

Copyless

• GA

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2015, 01:41:02 AM »

Almost exactly what might have been said in a conversation earlier in the day?  So, maybe it is fixed, and from reading the bulletin, I believe they have identified the problem, because as mentioned, that is exactly what some crazy person thought.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2015, 07:13:15 AM »

Hopefully that is the fix, but I'm not entirely convinced it will be.  SW74 posted on www.hdforums.com back on Feb. 1, that his dealer couldn't get his amps programmed.  He had the amps replaced under warranty and the new ones accepted the flash.  That said, I don't know how his system turned out.

My dealer said they programmed my amps and HU per Harley's instructions.  I'm fairly certain they did it more than once as they said they spent a ridiculous amount of time walking through the program process with several different techs.  I hope I'm wrong and CreeseHD has better luck.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »

Almost exactly what might have been said in a conversation earlier in the day?  So, maybe it is fixed, and from reading the bulletin, I believe they have identified the problem, because as mentioned, that is exactly what some crazy person thought.

It was great chatting with you yesterday.  I finally spoke to Bill and he's going to look into the wiring situation for me.  If I go that route, I'm thinking I will not worry about having a fader and will split the current signal going to my amp to power a 4 channel system.  I may try the Alpine Type R speakers in the tour pack pods as supposedly they fit without any adapters.  I'm not in a rush this time around though.

Copyless

• GA

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2015, 01:46:38 PM »

It was great chatting with you yesterday.  I finally spoke to Bill and he's going to look into the wiring situation for me.  If I go that route, I'm thinking I will not worry about having a fader and will split the current signal going to my amp to power a 4 channel system.  I may try the Alpine Type R speakers in the tour pack pods as supposedly they fit without any adapters.  I'm not in a rush this time around though.

I'm not totally sure that it is ironed out, I'm just very confident that they have identified the problem, it was said that someone thought it was the amp, and because it was the flash part of the amp, which is what the bulletin describes and addresses. The problem was not that the dealer was not doing what they were supposed to, it was that the amp was not totally accepting it, although it was reporting that it was. This was a common problem back several years ago with other devices and such, never mind, no need for the long needless explanation. I'm going to check the date on mine, the thing I'm not totally sure of with the bulleting was if the amp was within the date specified, if it had not yet been flashed, I think it can be flashed, but if it has been attempted to be flashed it is bad now, I think this is what it says.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2015, 03:32:48 PM »

I'm not totally sure that it is ironed out, I'm just very confident that they have identified the problem, it was said that someone thought it was the amp, and because it was the flash part of the amp, which is what the bulletin describes and addresses. The problem was not that the dealer was not doing what they were supposed to, it was that the amp was not totally accepting it, although it was reporting that it was. This was a common problem back several years ago with other devices and such, never mind, no need for the long needless explanation. I'm going to check the date on mine, the thing I'm not totally sure of with the bulleting was if the amp was within the date specified, if it had not yet been flashed, I think it can be flashed, but if it has been attempted to be flashed it is bad now, I think this is what it says.
According to Harley, it didn't matter if you tried to flash or not. Those particular amps would not accept the flash if they tried. I'll see what happens at the end of next week. At least they agreed to pull it all out if the new equipment and flash doesn't work.

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2015, 04:35:42 PM »

Hopefully it gets worked out.  Worst case scenario, you lose your installation cost....at least that's what happened to me.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2015, 05:03:15 PM »

Hopefully it gets worked out.  Worst case scenario, you lose your installation cost....at least that's what happened to me.

True. That sucks too, but I'll deal with it not to have broken system.

Copyless

• GA

« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2015, 03:18:15 PM »

According to Harley, it didn't matter if you tried to flash or not. Those particular amps would not accept the flash if they tried. I'll see what happens at the end of next week. At least they agreed to pull it all out if the new equipment and flash doesn't work.

The very first paragraph (Purpose) says that the DTII will be updated on 3-25 to accommodate the amps, and that any amps that fall in the range of the problem amps, should not be sold until 3-25 at which time they will be able to flash the amps. If the dealer tried to flash an amp that was within the date code then that amp was trashed, and could no longer be used, because it would no longer accept a flash, so when your dealer tried to flash it, it then became useless, so they could not flash it after that, and had to get a new one or new ones. That's why the bulletin was dated 3-4 so they could try and stop some of the dealers from trying to flash the amp, and turning it into a oversized paperweight.

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #94 on: March 23, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »

The very first paragraph (Purpose) says that the DTII will be updated on 3-25 to accommodate the amps, and that any amps that fall in the range of the problem amps, should not be sold until 3-25 at which time they will be able to flash the amps. If the dealer tried to flash an amp that was within the date code then that amp was trashed, and could no longer be used, because it would no longer accept a flash, so when your dealer tried to flash it, it then became useless, so they could not flash it after that, and had to get a new one or new ones. That's why the bulletin was dated 3-4 so they could try and stop some of the dealers from trying to flash the amp, and turning it into a oversized paperweight.

Ah got cha. That makes sense as well. They are sending 2 amps for mine. My original amp and the rear amp. The tech from Harley on the phone may have been just saying what he thought to be the case or his interpretation of it..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 03:43:11 PM by CreeseHD »

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2015, 06:26:51 PM »

Well, I'm not waiting for the "fix". I just don't believe it's going to work properly.  I just dropped off my bike with the Boom stage 1 to be re-installed.  Although Harley will not warranty the blown speakers, my dealer is stepping up and refunding all my money including installation.  I think it's BS that Harley will not warranty the blown speakers for them.  It's harley's fault the 1st flash didn't work. But hey, I will pick up my bike Thursday and not look back.  Soundz Customz, I'll ride up 4 hours to see you in about a month. With all the time waisted on this project, I'm just glad it's coming to an end...

dgreen1069

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2015, 06:47:52 PM »

Kudos to your dealer for stepping up and making things right.  Make sure you let people know they did the stand up thing!

I wish Soundz was only 4 hours away.  I'd love to hear his setup.  I'm thinking I may go the Biketronics route, but I'm not buying anything until I've heard it with my own two ears.  Best of luck!

CreeseHD

• Junior CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »

Kudos to your dealer for stepping up and making things right.  Make sure you let people know they did the stand up thing!

I wish Soundz was only 4 hours away.  I'd love to hear his setup.  I'm thinking I may go the Biketronics route, but I'm not buying anything until I've heard it with my own two ears.  Best of luck!

I feel the same way about hearing it for yourself before purchase.  I've heard a lot of great setups while they were standing still; including my own Boom II.  But I want to ride one to hear if it sounds just as great on the highway... I'll still be researching until I pull the trigger.  I might just reach the end of the internet first. lol

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]

Page created in 0.46 seconds with 21 queries.