Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Clunk on start-up  (Read 5566 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
Clunk on start-up
« on: October 25, 2015, 09:11:11 AM »

Hi all,

I recently started having an issue on start-up on my 15 SG CVO.  Bike is on tender and i ride pretty often.  On initial crank, there is a slight hesitation, almost as if the battery is weak. Lights dim for a split sec, sounds like it may die, and then cranks over.  This doesn't happen all the time, enough however that it doesn't appear normal.  I think it happens when the bike is cold or warm.  I have done a couple of searches but cant find anything.  Thanks much for your help.  Peace.

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
Re: Clunk on start-up
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »

Are you sure the ACR system is working properly?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 10:02:08 AM »

The first thing to check is the battery connections.  Loose or corroded connections will reduce the ability of even a perfectly good battery to crank the engine.  If the connections at the battery and the starter are clean and tight, then proceed to a battery load test.  Just because the bike is less than two years old doesn't mean the battery is automatically good.  Lots of folks have had batteries fail in the first year of ownership, including batteries that were purchased as replacements.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO RGU
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 11:44:55 PM »

I repeatedly had an identical problem with the 110 in my 08 EGU. Although it always seemed like a failing battery, the battery always checked good. It turned out to be the ACRs. Over the 7 1/2 years I owned the bike I had to replace the ACRs 4 times.

If it tried to crank hard when I first thumbed the starter, I'd let off, wait a second and try again. It almost always cranked normally on the second try.
Rat

2016 FLTRUSE, Ruby Red/Palladium Silver, Jackpot exhaust/slipons, Heads ported & polished, Powervision, Target Tune.
2008 FLHTCU, Candy Red Sunglo, 110", Rinehart true duals, massive chrome, 66,000 miles (traded)
2004 FLHTCUI, Lava Red Sunglo, 95", V&H true duals, 57,500 miles (traded)
2000 FLHR, Luxury Rich Red/Vivid Black, 95", Baker 6 speed, V&H exhaust, 37,500 miles (sold)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 07:55:47 AM »

I checked the battery for anything obvious such as corrosion or loose connection.  Is there a way for me to check the ACR?  if not and I bring to the dealer, of course they will focus on the battery.  How do I get them to check the ACR?  Thanks

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:04:14 AM »

I checked the battery for anything obvious such as corrosion or loose connection.  Is there a way for me to check the ACR?  if not and I bring to the dealer, of course they will focus on the battery.  How do I get them to check the ACR?  Thanks

I guess you get them to check the ACR's by asking them to check to make sure they are working.  If they are like many Harley shops, they won't think of it on their own.

OK, you've looked at the battery connections and they seem to be clean and tight (if you have a multimeter you could actually check voltage drop across all the connections to make sure).  Now you need to check the actual capacity of the battery, with a load test.  You can leave the battery on the tender 100% of the time, but if the battery is failing internally it isn't going to help when you hit the starter button.  Any dealership or auto parts place can load test a battery btw. 

ACR failures were quite common on the early bikes, but not so much on late models (even Harley eventually fixes some of their problems).  I believe an ACR failure would be less likely than a bad battery.  Btw, have you added any tuning system or device that may have turned the ACR's off? 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 10:09:49 AM »

I looked at some pics online and it looks like the ACR is screwed into the heads next to the spark plugs.  I assume that I should check that they haven't loosened up.  anything else?

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »

Hi all,

I recently started having an issue on start-up on my 15 SG CVO.  Bike is on tender and i ride pretty often.  On initial crank, there is a slight hesitation, almost as if the battery is weak. Lights dim for a split sec, sounds like it may die, and then cranks over.  This doesn't happen all the time, enough however that it doesn't appear normal.  I think it happens when the bike is cold or warm.  I have done a couple of searches but cant find anything.  Thanks much for your help.  Peace.
Exact same problem on mine and found out that ACR's were disabled by accident during a TTS programing.  Once enabled, problem solved.

grofcvo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »

Exact same problem on mine and found out that ACR's were disabled by accident during a TTS programing.  Once enabled, problem solved.
dumb question, how you enable them (do a dyno again or..)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 05:55:05 PM »

You can go in on the TTS or other program and select to disable or enable the ACR's. It is listed on the options of most tuning devices.

shrknz

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:01:14 AM »

I am having the exact same issue as well on my 13 CVO. It started shortly after I installed a thundermax tuner.... So I thought that maybe they had gotten turned off in the thundermax settings. No such luck, they were turned on.

So my next question is, how hard are the ACR's to install?

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 07:41:54 AM »

i am running PowerVision which I got from Jamie at Fuel Moto.  Have the bike just about a year.  I highly doubt that the ACR's got turned off thru that setup, but anything is possible.  If it warms up a little I am going to bring her in to have them look at it. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:39 AM »

i am running PowerVision which I got from Jamie at Fuel Moto.  Have the bike just about a year.  I highly doubt that the ACR's got turned off thru that setup, but anything is possible.  If it warms up a little I am going to bring her in to have them look at it.

Why so resistant to just having the battery tested?  It is the most likely problem, so it should be the first item checked and either confirmed or eliminated as the cause.  If it's too cold to ride to the dealership, remove the battery and take it to them for testing and replacement if needed.  You would definitely not be the first person to have a one year old battery bite the dust, many have reported equally short battery life in recent years.

Jerry

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »

Why so resistant to just having the battery tested?  It is the most likely problem, so it should be the first item checked and either confirmed or eliminated as the cause.  If it's too cold to ride to the dealership, remove the battery and take it to them for testing and replacement if needed.  You would definitely not be the first person to have a one year old battery bite the dust, many have reported equally short battery life in recent years.

Jerry

My bad.  not hesitant at all.  That is precisely what first step would be.  I am juts trying to get educated so that if the dealer says that the battery is fine, I can ask if they would also check that the ACR's are working properly.  I would not have known that the ACR's could be a potential issue.

Ted

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »

The original ACRs in my 08 EGU stage 4 heads failed completely, so it was an easy diagnosis via a compression test. But every time after that they didn't fail completely, they just wouldn't open until the engine had cranked at least a little. I learned pretty early on that if it cranked hard when I thumbed the starter to let off immediately and try again. If it cranked hard three or four times in a row it was time for a battery test and usually replacement ACRs.

Side note: When they intermittently fail (occasionally stick closed) as mine did, a compression test may or may not indicate that they're not functioning properly. When the second set of ACRs started to fail, I took the bike in under warranty and (of course) the ACRs functioned just fine while in the shop, normal compression test. The next day it was back to hard cranking. It took three visits to service before they misbehaved in the shop.
Rat

2016 FLTRUSE, Ruby Red/Palladium Silver, Jackpot exhaust/slipons, Heads ported & polished, Powervision, Target Tune.
2008 FLHTCU, Candy Red Sunglo, 110", Rinehart true duals, massive chrome, 66,000 miles (traded)
2000 FLHR, Luxury Rich Red/Vivid Black, 95", Baker 6 speed, V&H exhaust, 37,500 miles (sold)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »

I have had batteries that seemed 100% charged but would not crank. In other words no guts left to crank. Some one else might know the proper terms for this.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 04:26:31 PM »

I have had batteries that seemed 100% charged but would not crank. In other words no guts left to crank. Some one else might know the proper terms for this.

Bad; that's a "bad" battery.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »

That's the term I use. :2vrolijk_21:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 05:16:09 PM »

I believe the English refer to it as a "flat" battery.

skorch

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE tequila sunrise
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHXSE gunship Gray
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 07:25:58 PM »

I have been having the same problem-Pulled the battery and had it load tested and checked fine. Sometimes fires right up and sometimes just hesitation like the starter is failing. Sometimes even get a long crank cycle with a nice backfire-bike is stock 2010 FLXHSE. Baffled and sometimes I long for my old 2006 simple carb street glide.

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 11:55:25 PM »

I would get the backfire too if I held the starter when it cranked hard. That's why I let off the starter right away if it cranked hard.
Rat

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.