Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bad Frame Welds-'03 SERK  (Read 3305 times)

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
Bad Frame Welds-'03 SERK
« on: October 03, 2004, 09:31:43 PM »

I recently found a bad frame weld on my 03 SERK.  It's on the left downtube where it should be welded to the plate that anchors the jiffy stand and the engine stabilizer.  On mine the weld is actually burnt into the downtube for only about 1/4 of the weld.  The rest just plain missed.  Has anyone else found any problem welds on their bikes?  And if so, how did you solve the problem.
Thanks
Steve

mfgreen

Re: Bad Frame Welds-'03 SERK
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 09:34:46 AM »

Good observation.
Most folks are not looking that closely and don't know what they are looking at when they do.  This not the first bad weld that I have heard about or seen on the CVO's.  Margaret (flhrsei-2_for_sale) had something to say about that also in one of her posts a while ago.
Mike

flhrsei2_gret's_is for sale

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 01:01:22 PM »

To have our bikes called "CVO's", in a way - is difficult for me to understand.

A Custom Bike will include such minute detailed care - as in the weld joints.

Most people who make their own bikes will agree that the weld job is only a huge indication of the quality of work on the bike.

I see "slop" welds on my bike. This is the second frame for this bike. This frame is either "stock" or "hurry up and fab" job. This is not worth the money I paid for this thing.

Just another thorn to think about people.

We can not assume that our bikes will hold their value if this is the kind of quality they give us -- "shoddy"....

Very very sad....

Some day - I hope to have the bike "checked" before the 7-year warranty is up -- that way, if the welds just happen to fall apart at 6 yr. 9 mo. into the warranty - I can spec. how I want the welds to look on the third frame for this bike.

Any other bike that costs this much - BMW - you will not see such sloppy work.

I think we have something to consider when we approach quality, and face HD, however.

They don't make this a big issue.  

Now that they are glutting the market with bikes like this, the price goes down, demand goes down, and we're stuck with .....?

Sorry for the sad news about welds.
...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

RedFXR2

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 03:34:19 PM »

I've been reading the "bad chrome" threads and now this.  After going to the garage and closely examining my 1999 FXR2, I can only say that the poor quality must be a recent issue.  The chrome on my bike is fine after five years and the welding, while not beautiful craftsmanship, is solid and complete, with no separations.

I would imagine that the frames on current-issue CVO bikes ar right off the same fabrication line as the rest of the (model) frames are, the company assigning a block of serial numbers to the CVO.  This doesn't make it any better for you guys, but it raises questions for the stock models that use the same frames.  Makes me want to go to the dealer and closely examine the ones on his showroom.  I wouldn't expect welding and chrome to be any better, but certainly no worse than the stock bikes.  The CVO "signature" is the paint job--the rest is bolt-on from the P & A catalog.

If I had a nearly new bike, paid what you guys did, and found this stuff, I think I'd be at the dealer every day and writing/phoning the MoCo as well.  It is ridiculous to produce goods at the top of the market price with quality issues like this.  And welding could be a serious safety issue, as well.  

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 05:50:45 PM »

Sorry to possibly have misled you here.

Welding job is solid, but is not "finished"... however, the old frames for HD was built for everything - all modifications necessary to chop, build the bike you want.

I feel the frames out with the CVO's are "crude", as in simply getting as much out as possible....

I have made calls to the dealer, they do not handle the bike at this point, only Customer Service people...

The Customer service location is the same location that allows people to "demo" CVO's between dealerships... you see - it's in Milwaukee, where I'm at...

We'll see where I go with this - for now, I don't think there is a consistent method for checking quality on welds, especially up front on the downtubes...

...at my age knowledge is not based on what the book says, because - we write the books.

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 07:50:03 PM »

Sorry to possibly have misled you here.

No problem.  I was addrressing Skippy49's statement:  "On mine the weld is actually burnt into the downtube for only about 1/4 of the weld.  The rest just plain missed."

I say again that partial welds along an intended seam is a potentially serious issue--much more than one of cosmetics.  I would describe the welding on my FXR2 as properly done, but not given any cosmetic attention.  By contrast my 1974 Triumph had many mechanical issues but the welding on the frame was beautiful craftsmanship.  It was obvious that whoever did it intended it to be more than just functional.  It's a shame that the same can't be said for the MoCo when producing such expensive bikes.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 08:11:08 PM »

Just to clear the air, the weld I am talking about is not a good weld.  I wouldn't be concerned if it were just cosmetics.  I can post a pic if anyone is interested.  The local dealer is supposedly contacting HD but have heard nothing.  So I'll probably call them myself soon.
Flhrsei 2-for-sale, were you satisfied with the job done by the techs in replacing your frame?  It has been suggested to me that if HD wants to replace the frame, to not have it done since many dealer techs are not that good.   Just wondering what you thought about your frame replacement.
Thanks,
Skippy
Steve

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 08:52:10 PM »

...Flhrsei 2-for-sale, were you satisfied with the job done by the techs in replacing your frame?

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 01:46:50 PM »

I would be able to easily do that, if my camera had not been stolen last year. Was quite traumatic for me. The entire camera and docking station was taken from the apartment. Never did catch the thief.  Am not set up to take digital photos at this time, as I'm recoup'ng, financially and in other ways as well.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 10:40:42 PM »

Here's a couple of pic's of the weld I was talking about--if I get this done right!
Steve

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 10:42:48 PM »

And here's the other one!
Steve

mfgreen

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 10:01:07 AM »

Thanks Skippy49,
Looks like if that weldment had been ground and inspected to any standards other than welding globs being there that an unacceptable weldment of the frame would have been very evident.  What does H-D MoCo field rep say?
Mike
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 10:01:58 AM by mfgreen »

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2004, 08:19:46 AM »

I don't even know if the field rep knows about it.  All I know for sure is that the local dealer called the moco and after a week or so, they requested a picture of it so they could see if it was structurally sound or not.  Of course the dealer didn't have a digital camera.  I already had pic's of it, so I emailed them to the dealer to send on, and I haven't heard anything back.   I don't know if these are welded robotically or by hand, but either way, a bad weld should be easy to spot before the metal is painted or powder coated.  Somebody must not be doing their job on a critical inspection like this.
Steve
Steve

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2004, 05:33:20 PM »

Possibly one of your friends wouldn't mind taking the pic and sending you an attachment for you to post.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 08:11:21 PM »

Update on Harley's response.  I heard back from the MOCO and they say that the weld in question is only a cosmetic problem and not a structural problem and should cause no problems.  In a way I'm glad, as I didn't  really want them to put a new frame on it unless really needed.  Although I may try to spot weld it from underneath to reinforce it, hopefully without burning the paint on the top side.
Steve  [smiley=confused5.gif]
Steve
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.