Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2016 and prior year mufflers won't fit the new M8 107 or 114's  (Read 13303 times)

ultracobbie

• Full CVO Member
    • IN

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 105th Anniversary
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHTKSE Carbon Dust / Charcoal Slate
2016 and prior year mufflers won't fit the new M8 107 or 114's
« on: September 20, 2016, 03:11:58 PM »

I apologize if this has already been addressed but I couldn't find anything on it.  The 2017 mufflers are 1" shorter and the right muffler has a 2.5" inlet.  They pushed the cat back and made the inlet bigger.  It may be possible to push the left older muffler on all the way back to the back of the slider but some may have issues with it.  The answer?  We need to convince Fullsac Performance that there will be a market for a header pipe that will allow us to use 2016 and prior mufflers.  I'm sure there will be other muffler and pipe makers coming out with replacement pipes and mufflers by the end of October but who wants to have to buy all three components?  I talked to a guy that went to the Harley Dealer Show and he said that someone from Harley was bragging on the fact that people would have to buy Screamin Eagle exhaust parts until the aftermarket caught up.  Leave it to Harley to use 2 different size mufflers on the same bike. :o

no clue

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Re: 2016 and prior year mufflers won't fit the new M8 107 or 114's
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 12:45:06 AM »

If you use after market head pipes or mufflers on your M8, it will void the warranty. If a person feels there is no need for the warranty, they can do as they please.

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 04:16:33 AM »

If you use after market head pipes or mufflers on your M8, it will void the warranty. If a person feels there is no need for the warranty, they can do as they please.
What? Where did you see that info published?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »

only sort of true.  it's been reported in several places, but the upshot is if the exhaust is not epa compliant the dealer is supposed to void the powertrain portion of the warranty.  obviously, if you change pipes and your infotainment craps out, they 'should' cover that.

but you can go aftermarket, as long as it is epa compliant.  and with the m8s being so new, not much, if anything, out there.  yet.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »

HDI or "International " mufflers have had different muffler diameters since 2007. Softails . Dynas and Touring platform

All to do with Euro 4 noise reduction apparently. Here in Australia we just pissed them off by fitting slip-ons with the same diameter baffles/exit holes.

( Oh , and exiting the ECM of "Active air and Active exhaust" by various means )

Is maybe this for the self same reason on the new 2017's ?
No illegitimi carborundum

acevtwin

• 1K CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2000 SERG Orange/White/Black sold
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Orange / Black Sold
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO FLSTSE Convertible Orange/Black CVO4: 2017 FLHXSE Orange/Black CVO5: 2022 FLTRXSE Orange/Black CVO6: 2010 FLSTSE Orange / Black (Yes, a second one)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:23:39 AM »

My "Connection" told me the same thing. Harley did this so you have to buy their Screamin Eagle slip on's if you want to change the exhaust right now. I have contacted Rinehart and they said they would have something by the end of October.

wildinjun

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »

Vance and Hines has power duals and slip-ons on there site for 17's. Shipping November 2016

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:08 AM »

My "Connection" told me the same thing. Harley did this so you have to buy their Screamin Eagle slip on's if you want to change the exhaust right now. I have contacted Rinehart and they said they would have something by the end of October.

They'll have lots of the new exhaust at Daytona Biketoberfest.   :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 06:52:35 PM »

Harley did this so you have to buy their Screamin Eagle slip on's if you want to change the exhaust right now.

When I read stuff like this I want to just scream. Do you honestly believe that the MoCo "did this" for the sole purpose of "forcing you" to buy their accessories?
It couldn't have been to accommodate EPA mandated systems? I thought the conspiracy was supposed to be that the MoCo always did everything to 'save every penny'... But they spent no doubt a pile of extra money designing a whole new exhaust system.... Just to corner the slip-on market for three months?
What grade are you in, man?

I think they've made a considerable effort at keeping the product viable despite its vintage limitations. I wish I could afford a new one because I think I'd buy one of these new smoothies in a heartbeat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2016, 12:31:09 PM »

When I read stuff like this I want to just scream. Do you honestly believe that the MoCo "did this" for the sole purpose of "forcing you" to buy their accessories?
It couldn't have been to accommodate EPA mandated systems? I thought the conspiracy was supposed to be that the MoCo always did everything to 'save every penny'... But they spent no doubt a pile of extra money designing a whole new exhaust system.... Just to corner the slip-on market for three months?
What grade are you in, man?

I think they've made a considerable effort at keeping the product viable despite its vintage limitations. I wish I could afford a new one because I think I'd buy one of these new smoothies in a heartbeat .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

MrSurly

• Formidable Faux
  • Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 01:26:22 PM »

Quote: "I suppose you think that Harley picks the most comfortable seat they can find so you won't have to change it the minute you get it home? Everything they do is for a reason. Wake up."

Everything they do fit-wise is necessarily a compromise. It isn't possible to make a seat or bars or any dimension of the bike be correct for everyone. I HATED the seat on my RK and LOVED the Hammock on the Ultra. The fact is that the mothership doesn't even offer much in the way of seat choices, that's pretty much an aftermarket niche, fueling no profit for the MoCo. If you were to poll HD owners, you'd likely find that 80% are running their stock seat. Everyone has their own tastes and yeah, the MoCo messes up a lot, it seems. What hangs me up, though, is when people claim there's a *conspiracy* by Harley to prey upon their customers and 'force' them to spend more money. I don't buy it.
The naysayers (who buy, bitch,and buy again) insist they've been targeted but I'm just enjoying the ride.
If you *truly* believed the manufacturer was actively plotting against their customers.... why in the world would you BE one?
Rhetorical questions, who needs 'em?

2010FLHTCUSE5
Dethroned Garage Queen, Sullied 2013

no clue

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 10:44:51 PM »

If you as a customer think Harley is " plotting" against you. Simple solution. Don't buy a Harley, find another manufacture.  The larger outlet on the right pipe may be due to the cat relocation.
Come Biketoberfest there will be new items for the M8 from the aftermarket manufactures.

glens

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 02:19:09 PM »

only sort of true.  it's been reported in several places, but the upshot is if the exhaust is not epa compliant the dealer is supposed to void the powertrain portion of the warranty.  obviously, if you change pipes and your infotainment craps out, they 'should' cover that.

but you can go aftermarket, as long as it is epa compliant.  and with the m8s being so new, not much, if anything, out there.  yet.

Harley just had a run-in with the EPA.  It has been mandated by the government, as part of the settlement, that for '16 and newer bikes, if any modifications to the powertrain are made, and they're not EPA-compliant, then Harley must not honor any warranty claims on that powertrain.  They cannot warranty such a situation or they will be defaulting on the settlement.

There are never going to be any aftermarket parts (aside from maybe cat-back exhaust - mufflers) that will be EPA-compliant since to become compliant the whole package has to be certified.  The only such packages are Harley stage kits, and they must be used in their entirety to maintain certification status.  And this includes the specific ECM calibration.

There's no way an exhaust, or intake, or cam manufacturer is going to spend the time and money to get any kind of certification from the EPA.  It's just not feasible.

So unless one uses the complete H-D stage kit, with ECM calibration and all, to modify their powertrain, or unless they do otherwise and can completely cover their tracks, anything that might happen to the engine is going to be on their own dime.  The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act will not be able to come to anyone's aid once there have been non-compliant modifications made to the way the engine produces power.  And frankly, that's the way it should be anyway.  If I were making and selling a motorcycle I would not want to warranty the engine "regardless what the purchaser might have done to modify it."  I would only feel obliged if they'd left it the way it was when I made it.

JC

• Full CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2021 FLHXSE SUNSET ORANGE/SUNSET BLACK FADE
    • CVO2: 2007 Flhtcuse Sold - 2011 Flhxse sold
    • CVO3: 2015 Flhxse ultraviolet blue/molten lava flames Sold
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 08:58:38 PM »

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8]

no clue

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 11:40:44 PM »

Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8]
This has been stated many times. If you use non EPA complaint parts on the M8 motor,  Harley does not and is not required to warranty the motor. These after market parts are illegal to use on a street legal motorcycle. Bud sold EPA approved mufflers, didn't go over very well.  You can do anything you want to the M8 motor using aftermarket parts. If it breaks, don't  except Harley to fix it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.