Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Adding heated grips - HD or Heat Demon?  (Read 3889 times)

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
Re: Adding heated grips - HD or Heat Demon?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »

Good info - thanks!  Sounds like either is a good choice.  Seems hard to believe that the CVO heated grips are any different versus the P&A heated grips, but who knows.  Based on the price, definitely won't be going the OEM CVO route as from what I see the 2013 Ultra had the Slipstream collection heated grips...according to Ronnies HD online, just the grips (at their discounted price) would run $425 and it looks like you may need to buy additional wiring on top of that!
That sure doesn't sound right for the price.  Mine were done the end of 12 or start of 13, and I sure did not pay close to that for 13 Ultra CVO heated grips.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 10:12:23 PM »

I want to add heated grips to my 2014 RK and was wondering what everyone's opinions were on the simplest, best looking way to do that.  The Heat Demons look cool as they utilize your existing grips.  HD heated slipstream grips say that they will not fit CVO models which seems odd.
HD says a lot of things won't fit the CVOs...but they do. Sadly, can't rely on the catalog descriptions/fittings.

Heat Demons usually take longer to heat your hands, and possibly don't get as hot as (properly working) factory grips, because the Demons go on the inside of the handlebar--the heat has to go through the bars, then through the grip. And the heat also gets spread out through the bar, so less of it is available to get to your hands.

That said, the Demons let you use almost any style of grips, and/or avoid the expense of buying new grips.

HD's grips are way more reliable than they were 5 or 6 years ago.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »

Not that I am aware of.  For both bike the dealer just ordered the ones that came on the CVO limited for that year. 

I think 12 or 13 was the year HD got the heated grips to heat well.  I know earlier years people complained the ones that came stock did not work well.

For a reference, check P/N on your invoice or refer back to SMHD, that'll tell you for sure which ones you have... would be good info to have, I know to guys @ the dealer level in parts & service they both tell me over the years how many of the P&A heated grips the MOCO has warrantied for customers  ???

You'd like to think the quality would be equal on the OE's & over the counters
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:22:41 AM by Mr D »
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.