Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Love Jugs Cooling System  (Read 4323 times)

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

Love Jugs Cooling System
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:39:17 AM »

Hi all, seeking info from anyone who has experience with the live jugs cooling system. I have an 2017 FLHTKSE cvo Ultra and have read the many posts on this forum about oil system failures.

The majority of the posts reference crappy oil pumps. A few other posts related heat issues that cause the bike’s to temporarily fail until the oil cools down.

I always believed that any transfer of heat from oil is good, but haven’t had any luck finding an oil cooler.

Has any one had positive experiences with the above mentioned love jugs cooling system, and would their installation invalidate the bike’s warranty?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Vr, pcpisano

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

Re: Love Jugs Cooling System
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »

While I haven't had the Love Jugs, I did have a different brand on my 2011 RGU. There is one thing no parade fan manufacturer ever tells folks looking to buy. It's not that they do not work work. Mine worked great, kept the engine noticeably cooler in extreme situations.

The thing they don't tell you is where does all the heat they just removed form your engine go to? Remember energy can neither be created nor destroyed if can merely be moved or changed in form. What does this mean? It means that fans located on the left side of the bike will blow all the heat they remove to the right side. What is on the right side? Why the inside of your right thigh of course!

So your engine will run cooler when you are stuck in traffic on that 95 degree day, but you will cook your right leg. Ask me how I know.... :'(

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:49:11 AM »

With a Twin Cooled bike you already have the head temps under control (assuming the system is working correctly), so adding a couple extra fans blowing on the heads isn't going to give you much bang for your buck. 

You mentioned oil temperatures; what temperature is your oil running at now?  Do you have data showing actual oil temps and cylinder head temps, or are you just reading some posts and assuming you have a problem?  The single biggest contributor to high oil temps is the combustion chambers, and water cooling those has already improved oil temperatures over the previous generation Harley engines.  Many of the threads you've read concerning high oil temps on late model bikes (M8 engines) have to do with sumping problems which will create abnormally high oil temps and loss of power.  Adding cooling fans or oil coolers on those bikes would not fix the problem.

At this point I'm not aware of any aftermarket company selling an oil cooler, regular or fan assisted, for the Twin Cooled bikes.  There isn't room to add one in the traditional area.  The only thing that comes to mind that could fit would be an Oil Bud, which mounts under the engine. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:06:55 AM »

The majority of the posts reference crappy oil pumps. A few other posts related heat issues that cause the bike’s to temporarily fail until the oil cools down.
The "oil pump problem" may actually be caused by something other than the pump.
It looks like the problem may be caused more by excess oil coming from the piston cooling jets,
and the original oil pump wasn't designed to scavenge that much from the crankcase.  I think that's what the replacement oil pump is designed to address.

For the "temporary" fail, I'm not sure if you're talking about the EITMS, or the initial symptoms of sumping, before enough permanent damage occurs to the engine.

If you want peace, prepare for war.

CVOFla

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 18 CVO SG Lava Org
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 06:06:26 PM »

Have you thought about the K&P oil filter? It has a reusable filter screen that increases oil flow which in turn increases oil cooling. It also has cooling fins on it. Very hi quality.
My only question is " will increased oil flow increase the chance of sumping"?

http://www.cyclesolutionsonline.com/kp_oil_filters.htm

The second mouse gets the cheese.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:29 AM »

The metal mesh filters increase flow by reducing filtration.  There is no free lunch.

At this point in time I don't think Harley has shared any real information about what is actually causing their sumping issue.  Changing to the latest oil pump hasn't fixed some engines, and sumping has occurred on stock engines, not just those with a Stage III or IV kit. 

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 07:43:45 AM »

Steve at Love Jugs is a THEIF and a LIAR!

I don't, won't support or buy anything from those type of folks.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:12:43 PM »

Definitely staying away from the live jugs. May look into the oil bud. Thank you for the info guys.

bklynserg

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:27:18 PM »

I definitely recommend love juggs  fans, Have them on my
on my CVO for the past three years. They have stood behind their product with me and have replaced chrome parts that were rusting without any hassle the fans have stop me from replacing my bike with a 14 water cooled. They should be on every 110 engine.  I now see them on the New York City police motorcycle bikes. don’t know why someone would want to slander  someone that has a good product because they don’t like who they were competing against , at least give it a fair  evaluation   
2011 SERGU Black & Slate picked up Jan 2013

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 09:03:30 AM »

everyone is entitled to their opinions.

I gave mine, and there are many, many others that feel the same way.

Has nothing to do with liking Chocolate or Vanilla.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »

YELLOWBIRD, you made a bold statement in previous post, care to enlighten me please. I'm a chocolate man myself.   :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 09:27:04 AM »

Still haven't seen a response to my questions.  Is the OP just worried because he's read things on the forums, or does he in fact have data showing his bike's head temps and oil temps are abnormally high?  Don't forget the old but true adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Or the corollary one of the members uses in his posts, fix it until you break it.  As best I can tell, the folks with Twin Cooled M8's that aren't sumping haven't been complaining about high engine or oil temps.  Don't let all the threads about overheating Twin Cams or M8's that are sumping lead you down the wrong path.  Apples and oranges come to mind.

Jerry

pcpisano

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:26:56 AM »

Hi again guys. I started the thread on the love jugs, and I’m guessing that I’m being referred to as OP, although I don’t know what OP means...

Yes I had read about the many bad experiences riders were having with the M-8 as a result of “hot” oil, and it concerned me for I bought a 2017 limited in Dec 17 for long range trips, and as I said in my original post.

Also it had been my experience that transferring heat away from an engine is always good, and was looking for an oil cooler that would fit my bike. I’ve installed oil coolers on my past Harleys  and my cars for the reason stated above...no luck finding an oil cooler for my bike, so I started researching love jugs... asked the Taptalk folk about them.

As an FYI, I rode the bike a couple of times during the winter (outside temp 45 degrees) and the bike still ran hot (did not have a temp gauge to read the oil temp).

I understand Harleys run hot historically, but I had a bad experience with a hot engine on my 09 CVO Limited (rear plug seized) so I get AR  on the topic of hot Harley engines.

I did call about the oil bud (thanks for the tip Jerry) and they are in final stages of testing one that will fit the ‘17 Limited. We chatted a bit more and the guy told they had received a lot of phone calls about oil bud availability for the above bike.

Was not intending to offend anyone for not answering sooner... and I’m sorry if I did. I do appreciate everyone feed back.

Safe riding all. V/r, Paul, A.K.A. pcpisano

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 03:58:22 PM »

Hi Paul.  OP means Original Post(er).  Shorthand was of referring to the original post / question.  Understand about the heat and having had several air cooled Twin Cams - 88", 95", 103" and 110" plus the twin cooled M8 114" and now a twin cooled M8 103" my experience is that the M8 is cooler than the TCs I've had . . . at least as far as rider / passenger comfort is concerned.

I've thought about these various cooling devices including the moco's fan that fits the M8s but have decided that they engineered it and built it and warranty it so I'm just gonna ride it as it is.  If it breaks they (or later ESP) can fix it.  For all I know adding an aftermarket oil cooler or fan system might result in denial of a repair claim for engine problems.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »

I have the wards fans on my sesg. I believe he was run out of town by love jugs and they now use his design. My opinion on them is that every little bit helps. They look good,Ive never noticed excessive heat on right leg,they are quiet and cant hear them with engine running,If i leave them on after a ride they will cool the engine down and shut off themselves. My main heat issues were resolved with a good tune though
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.