Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neutral Rattle & The OEM Tensioner  (Read 1901 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Neutral Rattle & The OEM Tensioner
« on: February 27, 2018, 11:09:24 AM »

After chasing a neutral rattle  on and off for the past year  I discovered that a lot of it ,if  not all of the rattle was coming from the OEM  Tensioner.   Was installing a set of Barnett discs and just for grins I shook the chain up and down and damn..there was the noise  I  was hearing in the primary that I thought   was all coming from transmission. Fired it up with no primary  cover on, stuck a screwdriver between the  tensioner shoe and frame and pried up..bingo, no more noise .

Next tried tightening up the chain  to about 1/4 to an 1/8"   slack and it was quieter at cold idle not too bad , went for  a ride, noise back after it warmed up. Then I slipped in a Hayden tensioner to test  and damn...dead quiet, took a nice long ride ... no more rattle cold or hot. Then made a couple of calls to John Sachs and Ron (rabos ) on HTT.     

Thanks to John Sachs and Ron ( rabos) on HTT  and Harry for a little  schooling and their help   on what  was happening. Harry had same issue on one of his builds had the  same issue.   
Here is Ron's reply to my message which explains it much better than I can:
From Ron  On HTT

If you smack the top of the chain, I bet you hear the clunk. It's from the shoe hitting the stop. Making the chain tighter will usually bring on the clunking at hot idle because with heat the space between the shoe decreases and erratic engine idle will make it hit more frequently and takes less chain whip to do it. Smooth as possible idle is a must to get the OEM tensioner to stay quiet. A looser chain will cause more whip bottoming the shoe also if idle is rough. Very fine point where it will work quiet cold and hot.

In both cases, pulling the clutch in takes some resistance away from the drive. There is less mass in the trans area with the plates separated so the engine pulses don't whip the chain as much with this reduced load between the two points in your case. Gear set in both cases is taken out of the mix. I have tried the Baker tensioner and it will eliminate that OEM tensioner sensitivity to shoe clunking. A poor chain can also drive the OEM nuts if it has too much deviation in the loose and tight spots when checking tension.
Ron

I have no doubt that I had originally had  some neutral rattle and after we installed the Baker door it was quieter but not to my liking. If I had to to do all over again and I would pull the primary cover first  make sure the chain is adjusted properly. Push  the chain UP in  the center, you'll notice the shoe starts to compress as you are pushing it up. That's there to compensate  for the  chain tightning when hot .   

You are looking for 5/8-3/4"  total slack. Static slack 1/4-1/2. FIre up with no cover and do the screwdriver test, if it gets quiet then you know.    If you happen to have a Hayden laying around or can borrow one to test all the better.  Hayden has a new "black shoe" they are using on the M-8 tensioners that will retro fit. It's $22.00 and  very quiet.     

I will probably pull the Hayden out and try the new Twin Power tensioner. To keep it reasonably quiet   John Sachs highly  suggested replacing the chain as well. There are basically two brands of chains, Diamond (former OEM vendor) and Regina (current OEM vendor ).   

I know this was a really long post and hope I didn't bore you all to tears but if the " Neutral Rattle is buggin the chit out of you..this may help. Let me know..Greg               

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Neutral Rattle & The OEM Tensioner
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »

Sachs and Harry!!! What a great team. Glad you got it figured out.  Stuart.  :2vrolijk_21:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »

Sachs and Harry!!! What a great team. Glad you got it figured out.  Stuart.  :2vrolijk_21:

So am I  Stu, I don't drink anymore but damn I spent a lot on Asian massages..  If it  weren't for for Sachs , Harry & Ron I would be putting another gear set in, was sure that was it, got pretty good at it. There are some things you don;t want to be good at..lol. The 117 Express is .leaving here 3-9 headed your way!     
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:44:13 AM by Texas 103 »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:36:20 PM »

Glad you got her all sorted out Greg. I know that has been driving you crazy for a while. We could have saved you some time and money with better ear plugs....lol. Enjoy your trip to Bike Week
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »

They are the best.   Have a great trip here.  Stuart.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 10:47:04 AM »

Glad you got her all sorted out Greg. I know that has been driving you crazy for a while. We could have saved you some time and money with better ear plugs....lol. Enjoy your trip to Bike Week

Thanks, I know we had a few conversations on that too!! the only two things I didn't replace were the tensioner & the clutch, who would of thought it was something that simple,  ??

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 02:16:07 PM »

Thanks, I know we had a few conversations on that too!! the only two things I didn't replace were the tensioner & the clutch, who would of thought it was something that simple,  ??

Isn't that the correct way to do things? Always do the hard stuff first and then fix the easy stuff? Think it says that in the HD service manual
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.