Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42556 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2018, 01:01:10 AM »

Germany has some of the highest labor costs in the world, and yet they sell that bike for $26k MSRP with a list of standard features that makes a $40k Harley look like a slacker.  Even with a Stage IV kit the Harley can't come close to the performance of the Beemer, and the Harley isn't even close in the engine reliability area. Now that they've created a model for the laid back American rider, I can't imagine why more Harley riders wouldn't switch in a heart beat.

JMHO - Jerry
I was telling JC that I went on the BMW K1600 forum when I started checking out the bike and they were talking more crap then we do! The "Beemer crowd" hates the bike (even the salesperson was complaining that the bags were not removable) and sales in the last 6 months on the bagger have been horrible. Dealer I went to has only sold 4 out of 150 bikes in the last 6 months. Bad news with that is aftermarket won't be in a rush to come up with the solutions I need without the units hitting the streets. Really hoping my Streetglide doesn't sump again and I can wait until the 19 BMW comes out and hopefully updates the electronics (gps and screen) and either they or the aftermarket comes up with forward controls.
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »

Forward controls would be huge on this bike!

I've been on the Goldwing forum as well as the BMW forum a few times over the years and just like our forum....the large majority of posts are complaints and not post talking about how much they like the bike.

For the B and the GA BMW models, the posts from actual owners is a little more positive but still very slow due to not many owners yet.  The BMW dealership in Sturgis just got his first B and GA models a week ago.....so they're still relatively new.

But yes, they definitely need forward controls and some way of getting around that 101 mph limiter on the GA.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »

took first break in ride today. 375 miles-no sump, good start... Lets see how tomorrow goes. Once I get about a thousand miles on I am going to start running it hard and will see how it holds up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 10:54:05 PM by SDCVO »
Alan

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2018, 01:56:48 AM »

Fingers (and toes) crossed that everything keeps working properly

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2018, 06:11:39 AM »

took first break in ride today. 375 miles-no sump, good start... Lets see how tomorrow goes. Going with stock header and exhaust with HD stage 4 tune for a couple thousand miles before I put header back on and get it re tuned with TTS. Want to make sure (hopefully) I don't have another issue. Once I get about a thousand miles on I am going to start running it hard and will see how it holds up.

That’s encouraging to hear. I’m going in for my stage IV upgrade (3rd time) this week. Stock header with Street Cannons plus SE Street Tuner map. I’ve put over 2000 miles on this stock engine with no signs of sumping but ir will still be getting the latest oil pump installed. How many miles did you have on the stock engine before it was upgraded to Stage IV?

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »

That’s encouraging to hear. I’m going in for my stage IV upgrade (3rd time) this week. Stock header with Street Cannons plus SE Street Tuner map. I’ve put over 2000 miles on this stock engine with no signs of sumping but ir will still be getting the latest oil pump installed. How many miles did you have on the stock engine before it was upgraded to Stage IV?
Seriously, BEST OF LUCK with the venture.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2018, 04:33:56 PM »

I had 300+ miles on my engine when I had the Stage 3 installed.  We've been drowning in rain here
 so only 1300 miles total now and no sumping (fingers crossed) BUT they didn't put in the new oil pump...so we will see.  Mine was originally built right before the cutoff date for old oil pump, so wondering if I might have gotten one of the new ones by lucky mistake.  Gonna be wondering about that for awhile.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2018, 04:43:44 PM »

Just so I'm clear......this was the bike that you were going to leave stock for reliability?     :huepfenlol2:

Anxious to see your report later today.  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:51 PM »

Just so I'm clear......this was the bike that you were going to leave stock for reliability?     :huepfenlol2:

Anxious to see your report later today.  :2vrolijk_21:
In my twisted mind going with a HD stage 4 from the dealer is keeping it stock..
Alan

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2018, 11:17:21 PM »

In my twisted mind going with a HD stage 4 from the dealer is keeping it stock..
Good one, Alan...even if you might need help.   :2vrolijk_21:
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:33 PM »

So put the rest of the 500 miles on today and bike ran great all weekend BUT-when I got home and checked the oil it was down to half way down the stick when it was to the top when I got home last night.
Not happy! Already reached out to service mgr (sure he loves that he gave me his cell number..) and they are picking up bike tomorrow. Bike did run strong all weekend and I did push it a bit on the way home so that part doesn't completely make sense if it sumped again.
I really hope there is a explanation for this but if not I ma not sure what I am going to do but going to be forced to do something.
Stay tuned..crap!!
Alan

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 11:35:21 PM »

So put the rest of the 500 miles on today and bike ran great all weekend BUT-when I got home and checked the oil it was down to half way down the stick when it was to the top when I got home last night.
Not happy! Already reached out to service mgr (sure he loves that he gave me his cell number..) and they are picking up bike tomorrow. Bike did run strong all weekend and I did push it a bit on the way home so that part doesn't completely make sense if it sumped again.
I really hope there is a explanation for this but if not I ma not sure what I am going to do but going to be forced to do something.
Stay tuned..crap!!

My understanding is that oil will build in the crankcase to a certain extent after the engine is shutoff. However to properly measure oil on the dipstick or in the crankcase, you need to follow the steps in SB1450 to determine if sumping is occuring.

The bike should be warm and needs to idle for a period of time before checking the oil level. Is it possible you checked the oil right after a ride where you turned the engine off with little or no idle time before shutoff? It is possible you’re NOT sumping and simply checked the oil level before the pump had a chance to remove it after shutdown. Under normal circumstances, oil will likely collect in the crankcase if the engine is turned off before it has been entirely pumped into the pan.

If you checked at this moment, it would appear low on the dipstick however in the first minute or 2 the next time the bike was started, the pump would have emptied the crankcase and your level would be normal again.

That’s why the steps in SB1450 are very important to follow before measuring the oil on the dipstick (or in the crankcase). Just a thought to consider since the bike sounded like it was running properly.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:40:11 PM by Heatwave »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 11:37:17 PM »

My understanding is that oil will build in the crankcase to a certain extent after the engine is shutoff. However to properly measure oil on the dipstick or in the crankcase, you need to follow the steps in SB1450 to determine if sumping is occuring.

The bike should be warm and needs to idle for a period of time before checking the oil level. Is it possible you checked the oil right after a ride where you turned the engine off with little or no idle time before shutoff? It is possible you’re NOT sumping and simply checked the oil level before the pump had a chance to remove it. Under normal circumstances, oil will likely collect in the crankcase if the engine is turned off before it has been entirely pumped into the pan.

If you checked at this moment, it would appear low on the dipstick however in the first minute or 2 the next time the bike was started, the pump would have emptied the crankcase and your level would be normal again.

That’s why the steps in SB1450 are very important to follow before measuring the oil on the dipstick (or in the crankcase). Just a thought to consider since the bike sounded like it was running properly.
God I hope your right.. I did shut it off without idling long.
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »

And to make matters worse when I was riding my 12 Roadglide last weekend the front speakers stopped working so that bike is at the stereo shop and my wife is giving me endless crap about "how many motorcycles do I have to have so I can keep one running".. She is very much enjoying my frustration
She also likes to point out like JC that I said I wanted this bike because I needed a reliable stock bike to depend on...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:42:54 PM by SDCVO »
Alan

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 11:47:02 PM »

Alan.... I said the same thing earlier today to my wife.   Neither of us would even try to believe that.  So I went inside and watched the cavs game.  And about 45K richer.       Stuart.  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 21

Page created in 0.457 seconds with 22 queries.