Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Oil Pressure  (Read 5903 times)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Oil Pressure
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 10:17:25 PM »

i got same bike 16 SERGU, and my OP was reading 30 psi at 2200 RPM today, and best i can remember from last season on a warm/hot day 26/27 psi rolling down the highway. its lower than my 13 witch never dropped below 15 @ hot idle and run 36ish plus on the highway. dont think its any thing to worry about  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 01:16:01 PM »

i got same bike 16 SERGU, and my OP was reading 30 psi at 2200 RPM today, and best i can remember from last season on a warm/hot day 26/27 psi rolling down the highway. its lower than my 13 witch never dropped below 15 @ hot idle and run 36ish plus on the highway. dont think its any thing to worry about  :nixweiss:

X-2 , mine is 10-11 hot idle , 38-40 @ 3000 hot.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

drgmis16

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2016 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »

Seems that this low pressure was due to a "bad" sender unit.  Dealer put a mechanical gage in it and it indicated 34 psig at 2000 rpm; installed a new sender and it indicated 30 psig vice 26 psig with the original sender.  At 3000 rpm, the mechanical gage indicated 37 psig and the new sender 34 psig.  Other than swapping the sender unit with what HD supplies, is there any other sender that might work? 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »

The sending unit is only half of the equation.  The other half is the actual gauge, and that can also have an error.  There should be a test for the gauge itself, using a known resistance across the wiring terminals for the sending unit.  I don't have a shop manual for a late model bike, so I can't tell you if Harley has such a test.  As far as I'm concerned a 4 psi error when compared to a calibrated mechanical gauge is excessive.  Knowing how Harley does things however, I imagine they will say it meets their specifications and tolerances.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 10:06:20 PM »

In an ideal world I'd agree with Jerry's suggestion above wholeheartedly.  This is the Harley world though. 

That being so we have to remember that production tolerances and variances exist.  You've used a (hopefully) good mechanical gauge to know what the engine is actually producing.  You know what your gauge is reporting at that level of production.  So you know what to watch for on your gauge on your bike. 

So long as the bike's operations keep the gauge at your known to be good range you're ok.  If pressure falls below it's time to get things looked at (again).

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »

Those of us with new bikes don’t have to worry about this. Our reading just says OK or check oil. I guess the moco got tired of answering questions about their sucky gauges and senders and just figured that ignorance is bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 02:07:57 PM »

Those of us with new bikes don’t have to worry about this. Our reading just says OK or check oil. I guess the moco got tired of answering questions about their sucky gauges and senders and just figured that ignorance is bliss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That, plus they saved more than a few bucks on each bike.  The cheap sending units become much cheaper when they only have to be on or off.  Check the retail prices for the sending unit on your bike and compare to the price for the sending unit on the earlier bikes ($12 versus $35).

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 03:00:12 PM »

Usually when the light comes on it's to late :o

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 04:44:44 PM »

Usually when the light comes on it's to late :o

True.  The idiot lights don't come on until oil pressure is basically less than 2 psi.  If you're riding down the highway and your oil pressure is 3 or 4 psi, the light doesn't come on.  So if you're riding down the highway and the actual pressure is 4 psi for instance, the engine is not getting anything close to the correct amount of oil in any of the critical areas, but you won't know that until something fails. 

I remember hearing a rumor that H-D was going to offer the ability to revert to the old method with a software change.  If they do that, then you'd still have to buy the old style sending unit but it would be worth it in my opinion.

Jerry

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.