Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Update SERGU 110 Whats best bang for the bucks  (Read 2761 times)

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
Update SERGU 110 Whats best bang for the bucks
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:58:39 PM »

I've got 20,000 on my 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra. Thinking hard about swapping out lifters as preventive maintenance. I love the bike but the engine has always run hot. Its got a Fullsac CX pipe with 2.0 cores, TTS Tuner with Fullsac map. I had a Fat Cat and a power commander before that. Never found a combo to cool it down.
    If swapping out the lifters. What else should I do ? Could I change the cams to help cool it down?  What about getting the heads worked on and swapping out the valve springs?  I would like to keep the TTS and Fullsac setup.
  Any suggestion on a engine kit to have installed. Power is not my main concern. Cooling the engine down and touring longevity is. Thanks for any advice. BR
2011 SERGU
2013 Road King Screamin' Eagle - SOLD

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Update SERGU 110 Whats best bang for the bucks
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »

Changing lifters is a very good idea, changing cams can help a little but not a huge change in heat. I'd recommend the TTS 100 cam and a full tune by a competent dyno tuner. Try taking the lower fairings off. Won't cost you a thing but will make a huge difference.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:50:06 PM »

even just removing the vents from the lowers will help out with some of the heat, if you want to keep the lowers on. i did that on my last bike (13 SERG). far as lifters go i have never had an issue with the stock lifters...cause i put them in the garbage can. your bike is at that magic millage number so i would for sure replace the lifters 
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »

I did remove the lowers when I first got it. It did help with the heat but the head buffeting was bad. So I removed the vent in the lowers and put them back on.  Its a good spring and fall bike but 100* days it will roast you. I'm gonna swap out the lifters but may try and do a bit more if it will help out. I'll have to have it done. Out of my field of experience.
2011 SERGU

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:23:06 PM »

you may want to check with steve, he may have another map that could help. just a thought??
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 12:02:31 AM »

Keep in mind that a canned map is just that. What worked well for the bike it was created on it most lilkely will not be optimal for your bike. There is no replacement for a good dyno tune by a good tuner.

Remember that there is one thing that is consistent a with Harley's....they are not consistent!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »

Head fans work best for cooling. Pouring fuel in is the strategy for some, not smart. A cam change will help a little but something with more sensible ramps is best. The cr575 is a good stock replacement.  If the heads are done guides and a spring change help both lifter life and oil consumption. The pipe and tuner you have are good as-is but a good tune is essential

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 01:14:07 PM »

Head fans work best for cooling. Pouring fuel in is the strategy for some, not smart. A cam change will help a little but something with more sensible ramps is best. The cr575 is a good stock replacement.  If the heads are done guides and a spring change help both lifter life and oil consumption. The pipe and tuner you have are good as-is but a good tune is essential

X-2 on the above  , The  SE 585 is also  good "stock" replacement cam, nice and quiet , power where you use it.   VSK -600 AV&V dual coil springs., >030 gasket, Depending what you are on  the head CC, shaving a little to bump compression.    NO more that.020 if it's a wet head.  There is NO substitute for a good tune!   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 04:14:23 PM »

No use for those springs personally.
Just took a set out with low miles and pressure had dropped 15# seat from manufacturers rating. The tops were also tipped.

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 08:53:19 AM »

Maybe I'll replace the lifters, install adjustable push rods and rocker lockers. Leave the 255 cam installed and get it tuned on a dyno. Then in another 20K or so look into updating the engine.
2011 SERGU

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 09:16:40 AM »

Please spend a couple of bux and replace the inner cam bearings. I use 24018-10 from HD, or B168 Koyo from a bearing house.
I've seen too many issues to leave the originals in.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »

Maybe I'll replace the lifters, install adjustable push rods and rocker lockers. Leave the 255 cam installed and get it tuned on a dyno. Then in another 20K or so look into updating the engine.
Do cam bearings. Forget adjustable pushrods, no need. Use hylift B2313SE lifters. Use the rocker lockers.

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 09:59:59 AM »

Might as well check your cam tensioner too.  I believe it was DK customs that had a kit to lift the gas tank and supposedly allow more air in there for cooling.

BluesRunner

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »

I agree checking with checking cam tensioners. If you replace the cam bearing wouldn't it be smart to swap out the cams? To get  something to help cool down the engine.
 I don't know anything about a tank lift. I thought that was for looks. I'll have to look at the web site.
2011 SERGU

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 12:02:24 AM »

A leaner mixture makes HP but creates more heat.  Most tuners are going for max HP because thats what customers want.  Ask your tuner to create a map a litte more conservative (more fuel).  Gonna lose some HP but motor should run cooler and last longer.  I just changed my air cleaner to a Heavy Breather and could feel the increase in heat imediately from the increase in air flow.  Put a tune with more fuel and temp came back down.  Just my experance. 
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.