Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iron-Butt Test  (Read 2185 times)

bjspearman04

• Full CVO Member
Iron-Butt Test
« on: April 10, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »

See pic.  Throwing down my "hard-butt" card.  My buddy, D-Dirty and me, rode 1129 miles from Virginia Beach, VA to Key West on Thursday of last week.  Stopped every 2 hours to fuel up and stretch.  Made the 18 hour trek to Naval Air Station, Navy Gateway Inn and Suites (NGIS) without incident.  Checked in, then went and had a cold beer at Irish Kevin's.  Reversed the Journey at 0300 on Sunday morning to arrive home by midnight-thirty.  I can truly say, we wore my "old-arses" out...lol

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Iron-Butt Test
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 01:47:00 PM »

Good ride, getting through Miami can be less than fun.  Been awhile since I have done an Ironbutt, usually do the same as you did - 2 hours, gas, pit stop, & go. Good spot to have a beer in Key West.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »

The most I did in the iron butt was in Minnesota in 2000. Two days i went 2300 miles. Never do that again.
Bill

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

Sounds like me and a buddy of mine. Never meant to do it, or I should say never really thought about it. We went from Kentucky to Daytona in 1 day down the east coast hanging on the 2 lanes including going through the gap. Took 18 hours, and about 1200 miles. Rode around bike week, then 4 days later, ran 75 all the way back, around 1100 miles in 14 hours or so pretty much hung around 85 mph. My arse hurt for several days, actually several things did. I was on a M109R.

I have been to Bike week several times since, truck seat is much nicer with the bike on a trailer, but its still a long drive.
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 03:06:45 PM »

Good deal!  Congrats, BJ. 

You don't say if this is your first or not but if so, welcome to the "club", sir.  If it's not your first, good for you on doing it again.  I'm not saying my last one was my last but as the song says "the old, grey mare, she ain't what she used to be" sorta says it all....except for the mare part... :2vrolijk_21:

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

Congratulations on the ride, I liked doing iron butts and have even done an iron butt gold, 1500 miles in 24 hrs and it was a tough ride.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Sprintkid

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:44 PM »

We were riding up through Montana and stopped at Red Lodge Hd were we met a lady that was riding in the annual Hoka Hey Challenge. They get turn by turn instructions, no maps, no gps, no electronics, you sleep by your bike and it is 10,000 miles. It is interesting reading thru the blogs and everyones story. It has my curiosity peaked. I have done the iron butt. This is the iron butt on steroids. It was her third one. Her previous one was from the tip of the Florida keys to the tip of Alaska. She is a breast cancer surviver and read about it while taking chemo. She asked the doc if he thought she would be strong enough and he said hell ya. She raises money for charity. Take a minute and read some of the stories. Sounds crazy in a crazy cool kind of way.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 08:39:14 PM »

You could always do the iron butt rally, they do several thousand miles as well during the rally.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »

That is a long trip.  I have done about 14 hours one way and I was glad when I was done. Yes my butt hurt, but what worried me is that I was not very alert, kind of dazed out. I didn't think I was riding safe.  We still do 8 and sometimes 10 hours but prefer a little less so we can relax at the pool and have a few drinks. All good!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 08:58:38 AM »

Yes they are long ours was 23 hrs 34 min to cover 1532 miles.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 10:05:46 AM »

Iron Butt is not just the miles but all the stops to get the points. I can easy go 1000 miles in a day going just from point A to B
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:50 AM »

Yeah, if in a hurry can do 1,000 miles in about 18 hours if just trying to get somewhere.  Last time I documented anything for Iron Butt was a Coast to Coast ride a few years ago.  2404 miles in 47 hours - Jacksonville Beach, FL to San Diego, CA. Also did their Bun Burner 1,500 & & their Saddle Sore 2,000 on that same ride as part of the C to C. We took our time coming back to Florida though - 3 days for about 2,600 miles since we went sight seeing at the Grand Canyon plus a scenic trip through Texas.  Never say never, not sure if I will do another one.

ultrarider123

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:29 AM »

My first Iron Butt runs were completed in 2001 during a trip from Knoxville, TN to Phoenix, AZ and back....a few miles shy of 3,800 in 4.5 days.  Saddlesore first day 1,162 in 17 hours.  I was MUCH younger and way too dumb to know any better.  I actually stayed off the bike for a few weeks when I got home....just about immobilized my left knee for a week after.
I've done a couple since but nothing like that run.  I know what it took (physically and mentally) for my meager mileage total so the 11,000 miles in 11 day for the Iron Butt rally ain't nuttin to sneeze at.  I would have loved to attempt it 10 years ago.  Heck, I'd try it today but I know it's a pipe dream at this point. 

Hats off to anyone that gets in that rally and completes it.... :2vrolijk_21:

Mr. Spearman's 1,129 in 18 hours first day is a good time and to do it again the next day (back-to-back saddlesore), congrats.

bjspearman04

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »

Thanks all for your comments and sharing your personal "when I was superman" stories.  It is wonderful to create good memories.

My buddy, D-Dirty, is a landscaper thus our twisting the throttle to get back early Monday morning (April - grass is growing and beer money to be made or money to be replenished from visiting Key West - watering holes.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 02:54:16 PM »

Always enjoy reading about long distance riding.  Good way to get across a lot of miles in not too much time and create those good memories at the same time.

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.