Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SPEED RESTRICTION QUESTION  (Read 2632 times)

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
SPEED RESTRICTION QUESTION
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:27:11 AM »

Can the speed restriction be turned off on the 2018 models?

R/Don
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: SPEED RESTRICTION QUESTION
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 10:17:18 AM »

Can the speed restriction be turned off on the 2018 models?

R/Don

Not without using an aftermarket tuner, which will likely result in voiding your factory warranty if HD has any information it was used on your bike. The SE street tuner does not have the capability to modify the speed or rpm restrictions.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »

TTS tuner will remove it.  It can also restore your factory map if you read their web site.   They say HD cant detect it if you flash back to stock. 

I do not know any one who has test to make sure that is true.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 01:05:07 PM »

TTS tuner will remove it.  It can also restore your factory map if you read their web site.   They say HD cant detect it if you flash back to stock. 

I do not know any one who has test to make sure that is true.
just imagine what could happen if these m8 were allowed to be tuned without al the restrictions. have to wonder  for sure. 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 01:10:08 PM »

Yes they would probably fail at a faster rate.... :huepfenlol2:
(Why stress out to the max a motor that can't stay running at lower speeds and rpm's?)  :nixweiss:

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 01:33:26 PM »

Yes they would probably fail at a faster rate.... :huepfenlol2:
(Why stress out to the max a motor that can't stay running at lower speeds and rpm's?)
10/4 to that.  so then why are these  SE kits being sold  and telling you it has power everywhere?  then also for high rpm sustained,   that's is funny stuff too ,,  I guess running  at 60-75 mph is sustained high rpm now huh?  such bs is beyond me. the bike of years ago you could ride them at far more rpm because they were geared with 3,37 and 3,15 gears  and you could run 4000 rpm all day and all was good for many thousands of mile and that's fact.  now you ride for an hour set the cruise on these wonderful m8 bikes and you must may end up walking . it is what it is and something needs to be done about this failure of a high  ## bike and no cure or real fix available  that anyone has come up with ?   if they have  people may want to see it or have access to in with the warranty.  this has and is going on and no cure  is sad.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 08:16:26 AM »

10/4 to that.  so then why are these  SE kits being sold  and telling you it has power everywhere?  then also for high rpm sustained,   that's is funny stuff too ,,  I guess running  at 60-75 mph is sustained high rpm now huh?  such bs is beyond me. the bike of years ago you could ride them at far more rpm because they were geared with 3,37 and 3,15 gears  and you could run 4000 rpm all day and all was good for many thousands of mile and that's fact.  now you ride for an hour set the cruise on these wonderful m8 bikes and you must may end up walking . it is what it is and something needs to be done about this failure of a high  ## bike and no cure or real fix available  that anyone has come up with ?   if they have  people may want to see it or have access to in with the warranty.  this has and is going on and no cure  is sad.

Well, I rode my 18 CVO Road Glide 1025 miles in 16 hours, cruise set at 80 mph.  Got a few hours sleep and rode 532 miles  in 8 hours, cruise at 80 mph.  I have 9K on the bike.  I want to build it, but worried it will sump.  Yet I have rode it hard and it won't sump now.  I'm sure as soon as I do a 124 it will then sump.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 08:46:12 AM »

Well, I rode my 18 CVO Road Glide 1025 miles in 16 hours, cruise set at 80 mph.  Got a few hours sleep and rode 532 miles  in 8 hours, cruise at 80 mph.  I have 9K on the bike.  I want to build it, but worried it will sump.  Yet I have rode it hard and it won't sump now.  I'm sure as soon as I do a 124 it will then sump.

[/quote
ride it as is you will thank yourself!!   if we live long long enough we may see the proper fix.   do not hold your breath.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 10:00:52 AM »

Why are the M8'S so prone to sumping?  I didn't even know what that was until recently.  And I had to asking a pro.     Makes me think I'll be hanging on to my 16 for a very long time.   Why is this happening to so many?       Stuart

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 10:20:41 AM »

Why are the M8'S so prone to sumping?  I didn't even know what that was until recently.  And I had to asking a pro.     Makes me think I'll be hanging on to my 16 for a very long time.   Why is this happening to so many?       Stuart

It's something that can happen to pretty much any dry sump engine.  Any problem with the oil scavenging system that leaves excessive oil in the crankcase causes the problem, as well as any issue that dumps excessive amounts of oil into the engine.  Earlier Harley engines including the Twin Cam have been known to "sump", usually when the scavenge side of the oil pump wore excessively.  As to why it's happening so much on the M8 is a question that no one has really answered.  There is no doubt in my mind that there is more to it than just the oil pump.  I also suspect that someone at Harley knows what the real root cause is, and it's something so expensive to fix that they have been playing all these games with different pumps in an attempt to find a cheaper fix.  They've been known to do that in the past, doing just enough to get most bikes past the warranty period.  Eventually I expect the aftermarket to figure it out and start selling a fix, as they have done for decades with most of the other Harley design and quality failures. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 12:33:49 PM »

It's something that can happen to pretty much any dry sump engine.  Any problem with the oil scavenging system that leaves excessive oil in the crankcase causes the problem, as well as any issue that dumps excessive amounts of oil into the engine.  Earlier Harley engines including the Twin Cam have been known to "sump", usually when the scavenge side of the oil pump wore excessively.  As to why it's happening so much on the M8 is a question that no one has really answered.  There is no doubt in my mind that there is more to it than just the oil pump.  I also suspect that someone at Harley knows what the real root cause is, and it's something so expensive to fix that they have been playing all these games with different pumps in an attempt to find a cheaper fix.  They've been known to do that in the past, doing just enough to get most bikes past the warranty period.  Eventually I expect the aftermarket to figure it out and start selling a fix, as they have done for decades with most of the other Harley design and quality failures. 

JMHO - Jerry

with so many failures on these m8 motors I have to wonder if indeed the government will and well they should step up and regardless of your bike being out of warranty  will just maybe  farce them to do what is right and that will be to do the fix no matter how far out of warranty these bikes are because it is a serious costly failure for most people to pick up the tab. no once but several times this happens to the bikes ,  yes I  do feel too they know the fix but are wasting more  $$$ trying to get out cheap than  it would have cost them had they done it right as soon as they knew  there was an issue.   that's corporate America at its absolute worst. hosing the public and getting away with it . one thing is they have reepaied many it seems over and over  but what are these people riding in the mean time?  and having to cancel vacations and other rides or plans  because the bike of there choice is sitting along a road, smoked. they  may oss more of the same bs at them  and you keep goig back being told its the latest and greatest but its not great  its stil a failure  an da lot of disdain for a company that is not compensating your loss of riding time , paying you insurance paying  for payment and not getting to ride but maybe half a season.  think its  ok?  you beter know it flat out sucks be have one of these pieces of chit  hold you back from taking trips and venturing more tabn just afew miles from hom  . its a disgrace to think  HD has not made people wholewho own these bikes and no they cannot blame the rider for there misrepresentation of a product. look at the advertisement they have in the  SEE books    its pathetic to read this razzle dazzle and see all the failures out there and  there is going to be more onnce some people finally figure out there bike is gota serious problem because one of there buddies tells them its not right. uyes its coming so  hd better hang  for heavy rolls.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »

Thanks guys for the really quick responses. It's really sad that they would know what the fix is and just mask it over until the warranty would run out.  Not a good way to keep customers coming back.  Especially when sales are way off. They need to look at the way they are appreciating their customers or they will buy other brands or just keep what they have. Stuart..  :nixweiss:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »

Thanks guys for the really quick responses. It's really sad that they would know what the fix is and just mask it over until the warranty would run out.  Not a good way to keep customers coming back.  Especially when sales are way off. They need to look at the way they are appreciating their customers or they will buy other brands or just keep what they have. Stuart..  :nixweiss:
Shows that if you don't keep the "Kool-Aid" sweet people will find another drink (brand)... One of reasons (along w/nothing has moved me like my current bike when I first saw it) I'm keeping what I have.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :pumpkin:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 03:39:33 PM »

I once had what you had.  Definitely a great choice. Stuart  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 22 queries.