Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26816 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:22:32 AM »

So as usual JC has put thoughts in my head that will either cost me a lot or get me in trouble. After talking to him couple of weeks ago I am thinking about the new BMW bagger especially if my bike sumps again and I end up going down the legal road with Harley which I really do hope I don't have to do.
When the bike first came out I went to 2 BMW dealers and both were horrible though 1 did let me take the bike around the block. I did not like it at all but honestly didn't really give it a chance. This time the dealer in the middle to town got a new sales mgr and he was very cool. He gave me the bike yesterday and let me put over 100 miles on it so I could completely try it out and heres my opinion good and bad and also did some research for whaat I didn't like to see if I could fix it with the aftermarket.
the good-
Obviously the performance of the motor is world class! Blows away my 124 and is just put fun.
Suspension is also fantastic and I have to say much better than even the front and rear Ohlins I have.
the bad- First of all the things that can be fixed:
I have short arms and the bars are a couple inches to short. Couple of aftermarket companies make a risor to fix.
I need a riders back rest and again aftermarket has them including Corbin making custom seats for it
I hate the sound of the BMW stock motor. To me it sounds like a sewing machine and sound on a motorcycle is very important to me. Remus makes an exhaust system that sounds terrific-
they don't ship to CA but I am sure I could get around that shipping to my sister and then she could ship to me. Dealer said they would install.
So here are the "deal  breakers" for me.
Pegs are actually behind you like a sport bike and after spending a couple of hours on the bike I was having issues with my knees. The floor boards on the bike are comfortable but as of now there is no way to move controls to the floorboards
The electronics on the bike are horrible, the nav screen is tiny, outdated (older Garmin unit) and very far away. The BMW toggle wheel system is non intuitive and many "actions" are meant for spoken commands which never works well for me even in a car (my wife has a 2018 BMW X5). The nav screen is so far away and tiny that I really couldn't see the next turn coming up and certainly couldn't read anything on the screen.
The stereo is completely worthless where I couldn't hear anything over about 40MPH though I probably should have put this in the section that can be fixed by the aftermarket. I did call my stereo guy and he assured me he could make it sound as good as my Harleys.
Lastly though this for sure is a personal deal I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling inside that I get when I see a Harley when I look at the BMW. Bike is basically covered in plastic but I understand this is an acquired taste and I do love BMW cars so maybe I just need time..
Obviously this is a new model for BMW so things will be changing and talking to the dealer, the "deal breakers" for me he was saying was the same for many others. He said everyone is loving ing the floorboards and it makes sense if they really want to grab some of Harleys huge market share they will need to come up with a solution to those controls and doesn't seem like that difficult of a solution. as far as electronics goes, some of the other BMW's already have a large screen on them so I have to believe that will b e coming soon-hopefully next model year.
All this is just my opinion as I unfortunately am forced to come up with a plan B if my motor sumps again. I have looked at the Indian and it just doesn't do anything for me. i even went and tried the new Moto Guzzi which I hated. Ducati Multistrada just not my thing so the BMW is at least a possibility for me and for sure it runs like a stripped ass ape!!
Alan

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:22 AM »

I agree with you on all the points you listed. I too have been looking long and hard at the 1600b
Granted I haven't been riding nearly as long as most here, I only started riding in 2000, I have noticed a trend in my short few years riding.Myself being the black sheep in the family when I bought my first Harley as my family had been long-time vintage BMW Riders. One thing I have noticed and I'm sure most of you have as well is that Harley-Davidson sells a lifestyle first and a motorcycle second. I always seemed to think that BMW sells the motorcycle first and the image/lifestyle 2nd. Of course that is just my humble opinion.
BMW makes a damn fine machine, though they do seem a bit sterile in some areas. There is no denying the performance or them being built around a rider and not a lifestyle. Again just my humble opinion.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:04:35 AM by CHH_Badkarma »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:29:49 AM »

Now I know why my BMW riding buddy passed on getting that K1600B. 

I like the stock BMW quiet exhaust better than Remus, that's just an individual preference on sound.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:16:37 AM »

OK Alan, you can tell your wife it's my fault.....just blame it on me.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

I know how you ride but you didn't talk about any feeling regarding acceleration or in the twistys.  Where did you ride to put that 100 miles on?  Did you go down by Tecate or up to Hell's Kitchen?  I figure 100 miles round trip had to be one of those two places.

You're looking at the model that doesn't have a tour pack.  I think I'm going to look at that Grand America model again.  It's surprising how advanced those bikes are but so much cheaper than a CVO.

Thanks a bunch for your review buddy!  :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:39:56 AM »

Enjoyed the review but I'm a short feller and even with the lower seats on some models, the BMW's are still a bit tall for me.  If they fit me better, I would have bought that K1200 LT I test rode years ago 'cause THAT thing was a blast.

I'm with you on the styling part, Alan.  Of course styling/lifestyle/chrome doesn't get you home so while there is a lot to be said for it, all of the other positives (160 hp at the top of that list) sure could sway ya...

As for the REMUS exhaust, it changes the entire "atmosphere" around that bike.  I, for one, like the sound it makes.  I'm guessing that exhaust is much lighter than the stock unit, too.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:43:06 AM by Haird »

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 10:22:17 AM »

Coming from 28 years on Harleys, including one new CVO Electraglide. I always loved looking at them and riding them to a point. Found myself spending thousands trying to correct some of the shortfalls.

While I still love Harleys I have accepted there limitations. Simply cannot compare to a BMW K1600 motorcycle performance, comfort, handling, braking and features.

While it did pull at my heart moving to the K1600B from a Harley, I have never regretted my decision.

Regarding your concerns, time and miles will help you adjust. If you do want rider floorboards, check this out.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=26%2D200&pID=65

Regarding the wonder wheel, took me a few months but now really like it. Very effective control and easy to use.

Good luck with your decision. If you do decide to trade I'd recommend do so before Harley introduces the 19's. I expect a touring line frame change, when that happens the value of previous models will drop significantly. One of my bitches has been that Harley upgrades one major component at a time vs designing a total package.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »

Alan, nice review.

Not sure if you're 2-up rider or not, but others in the past have purchased other BMW touring bikes and their BSR was not happy with the air turbulence in the back.  The ride was okay, but not the back seat.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Maybe the B has made improvements on that so it's no longer an issue.

Like Scott said, even though you may not find something user friendly on the first ride, it may grow on you and become second nature later.

As others have said, hope if needed, you can make a good choice that makes you happy.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:55:15 AM »

Scott, the new models, the 1600B and the Grand America (same bike, the Grand America has a tour pack that is not removable and tail lights are a bit different) both come with floorboards and actually, at a very comfortable angle (more so than Harley) even for a tall rider.  However, they do not come with forward controls.....yet.

Give the aftermarket people a few months.....forward controls will be available.  I guess this and the two up passenger position is the areas where BMW is lacking in their design and need to catch up to Harley.  :P

Alan is a solo rider so he doesn't need to be concerned with that.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 10:56:45 AM »

Alan, nice review.

Not sure if you're 2-up rider or not, but others in the past have purchased other BMW touring bikes and their BSR was not happy with the air turbulence in the back.  The ride was okay, but not the back seat.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.  Maybe the B has made improvements on that so it's no longer an issue.

Like Scott said, even though you may not find something user friendly on the first ride, it may grow on you and become second nature later.

As others have said, hope if needed, you can make a good choice that makes you happy.
The new K1600 B and GA have a more traditional seating area for the passenger. Similar to Harley touring models. The passengers sit much higher on the GTL and GT models.

In my humble opinion the GA is a fantastic model for those that generally ride two up, the B for those that generally ride one up.

These bikes also have adjustable suspension depending on one up, one up with luggage and two up. All with the flip of a switch. They also have a power windshield making it easy to control wind on your passenger. Finally, you have heated seats that are fully adjustable as a standard feature.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:01:39 AM »

Scott, the new models, the 1600B and the Grand America (same bike, the Grand America has a tour pack that is not removable and tail lights are a bit different) both come with floorboards and actually, at a very comfortable angle (more so than Harley) even for a tall rider.  However, they do not come with forward controls.....yet.

Give the aftermarket people a few months.....forward controls will be available.  I guess this and the two up passenger position is the areas where BMW is lacking in their design and need to catch up to Harley. 

Alan is a solo rider so he doesn't need to be concerned with that.
The B and GA factory floorboards are really highway boards. The aftermarket riderboards are more like Harleys.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=26%2D200&pID=65

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »

I rode over to Sturgis (Rapid City doesn't have a BMW dealership) today to talk to them about both of these models (B and GA) and learned that they also have a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

They just got both models in and they haven't even been serviced (he said they have to add fluids?).  He's going to call me when they are ready and I'll go back over for a test ride of both models.

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »

OK Alan, you can tell your wife it's my fault.....just blame it on me.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

I know how you ride but you didn't talk about any feeling regarding acceleration or in the twistys.  Where did you ride to put that 100 miles on?  Did you go down by Tecate or up to Hell's Kitchen?  I figure 100 miles round trip had to be one of those two places.

You're looking at the model that doesn't have a tour pack.  I think I'm going to look at that Grand America model again.  It's surprising how advanced those bikes are but so much cheaper than a CVO.

Thanks a bunch for your review buddy!  :2vrolijk_21:
The demo they had was not the GA but that would definitely be what I would get though unfortunately BMW has limited the GA to 100MPH due to the trunk (they call it a top case) in the wind tunnel tests. I rode up to Julian then down to the border and did hit it hard in the twisties and it performed incredible.
I get my Streetglide back this week and will start the da== break-in again this weekend. I really do hope they have figured it out this time and if it ends up being ok I will wait till the 19 and see what BMW does with the nav screen and if the aftermarket comes up with forward controls. If Streetglide sumps again everything changes and might end up with "hurting knees"..
And yes, I will blame you!!!
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 12:10:10 AM »

Here's the best looking/sounding exhaust for that bike: 

Why not try a ride on the new Gold Wing while you're trying to decide?
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 12:52:24 AM »

Why not try a ride on the new Gold Wing while you're trying to decide?
Though the best dirt bike I ever had was the Honda Elsinore back in the day I just have no interest in getting a Honda now. I do understand quality wise its probably the best of the bunch but just can't get my head around riding one.
Though going from a Harley to a BMW is definitely a leap, going to a Honda is a jump off a cliff..
Alan
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.