Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 1177 times)

bjspearman04

• Full CVO Member
Heated Grips
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:31:43 PM »

Has anyone changed out or replaced the heated grips on your FLHTCUSE8?  The issue is cosmetic.  My grips have been through ~60k of riding and kinda rough looking.  The dealer wanted approximately $935 for grips and wires, but my bike is already wired for the existing grips.  Seems like it would be plug-and-play.  Any thoughts/suggestions on the matter?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:49:39 PM »

Has anyone changed out or replaced the heated grips on your FLHTCUSE8?  The issue is cosmetic.  My grips have been through ~60k of riding and kinda rough looking.  The dealer wanted approximately $935 for grips and wires, but my bike is already wired for the existing grips.  Seems like it would be plug-and-play.  Any thoughts/suggestions on the matter?

I just replaced the controller side of the heated grips on my 2010 CVO Limited. I did it myself. It now works great and looks new. BUT its a real pain in the azz. Fairing off. Pull the radio. OK that parts easy. But pulling the wire through the handle bar of a CVO....nightmarish. It can be done but IMO, pay WHATEVER they ask just so you don't have to do it yourself. Once the wiring is through to the fairing, its relatively plug & play but you'll have to be familiar with installing the deutsch connectors because obviously they can't be installed until after the wires are pulled through the handlebar. You've now been officially warned. :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »

The original equipment parts at MSRP:

56100020   HANDGRIP ASSEMBLY RIGHT   $132.47

56100022   HANDGRIP ASSEMBLY LEFT, W/ 72191-94   $357.07

56100024   ENDCAP   $14.38

TOTAL:   $503.92

While fishing those wires through the bars (only the left side must be fished through the bars) might be a total PITA for an amateur, it really shouldn't be for an experienced pro.  Four hundred bucks labor sounds high.  Of course Harley's price for the parts is excessive as well, but that's normal for H-D.  As a comparison, the various heated grip kits they sell in the catalog run $269 MSRP.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:48:14 PM »

The original equipment parts at MSRP:

56100020   HANDGRIP ASSEMBLY RIGHT   $132.47

56100022   HANDGRIP ASSEMBLY LEFT, W/ 72191-94   $357.07

56100024   ENDCAP   $14.38

TOTAL:   $503.92

While fishing those wires through the bars (only the left side must be fished through the bars) might be a total PITA for an amateur, it really shouldn't be for an experienced pro.  Four hundred bucks labor sounds high.  Of course Harley's price for the parts is excessive as well, but that's normal for H-D.  As a comparison, the various heated grip kits they sell in the catalog run $269 MSRP.

Jerry

If you ask almost any HD tech, they tell you that getting the heated grip wiring harness through the handlebar is a real PITA, even for the Pros. Probably not 4 hrs but I bet its close by the time you factor in removing radio and removing old unit.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »

If you ask almost any HD tech, they tell you that getting the heated grip wiring harness through the handlebar is a real PITA, even for the Pros. Probably not 4 hrs but I bet its close by the time you factor in removing radio and removing old unit.

I don't disagree it's a PITA, but I've talked to one experienced pro who claimed he could fish those wires through in a few minutes, not including pulling the fairing, radio, etc. of course.  I forgot to ask you, when you replaced yours did you cut the old wires at the grip and use them to pull the new wires through?  I've often thought that would make the process much easier versus installing a set of heated grips for the first time on a bike.  It's a shame Harley didn't add a connector at the grip itself, so you could just replace the grip like you can on the right side.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 06:02:19 PM »

I don't disagree it's a PITA, but I've talked to one experienced pro who claimed he could fish those wires through in a few minutes, not including pulling the fairing, radio, etc. of course.  I forgot to ask you, when you replaced yours did you cut the old wires at the grip and use them to pull the new wires through?  I've often thought that would make the process much easier versus installing a set of heated grips for the first time on a bike.  It's a shame Harley didn't add a connector at the grip itself, so you could just replace the grip like you can on the right side.

Jerry

I think on a regular bike it would be much easier than on a CVO. There’s additional wiring in the CVO handlebar that creates alot more friction and it gets really difficult to get the wire through the slot opening in the handlebar behind the radio.

Yes, I uninstalled the deutsch connector in the fairing from the left heated grip controller. I then used very thin wire used for hanging drop ceilings. Strong but very flexible. I made a loop in the wire and slid it onto the old wire. Then used a thin layer of electric tape to secure the ceiling wire to the controller wire for about 6-8 inches.

I then removed the controller grip and pulled the old wire and the ceiling wire through the handlebar. Then I reversed the process with the new controller wire and pulled it back through the handlebar. It really sounds like it should be easy. But the last 10 inches in the handlebar is just really difficult because the other wiring in the handlebar just increases the friction to a very high level.

Once thru its also difficult to get the position correct for the 2 separate controller wires. Pull too much and its a bear to get the grip on the end of the handlebar. If you don’t pull enough, then the controller wire gets in the way of reattaching the grip. It needs to be within about a 1/4inch of the perfect amount to reattach the grip.

I guess I’m glad I did it once but now that I know whats involved, I think I would pay almost anything for someone else to do it for me. Just a sheer bitch with no shortcuts or tools that will make it easier on a CVO.

You are absolutely right. If they had a connector at the grip this job would be a 10min job that wouldn’t even require opening up the fairing! It almost seems as though they purposely made it a nightmare since a simple connector at the grip would have saved hrs of labor and swap outs would have been turned from a dealer only job to a job any guy with a Philips screwdriver could do in less than an hour!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:08:52 PM by Heatwave »

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »

I'm glad this topic came as I've been doing a bit of research as I am considering replacing my factory heated grips for purely cosmetic reasons and would like to stay with the SlipStream style parts (FLHTCUSE8).

My left side grip has a small spot where the chrome flaked off that no one but me would ever notice but since I know its there and it drives me crazy ever time I detail out the bike.

To further complicate matters I'm running 16" Vindikta bars (look like Yaffe's Monkey Bars but better construction and 1 1/2" tubing). Needless to say wiring them up originally was quite a chore and I'm not inclined to take on a major "pita" project to keep the poorly designed MOCO grips but they have come in handy on occasion.

Maybe its time to look at other solutions on the market for heated grips. I heard from a Performance Machine rep at the Daytona Rally that they'll be releasing a line of heated grips in the near future so that maybe an option and using my FXRG heated gloves are another. But just twisting the dial when the temps drop quickly is a nice convenience to have.

bjspearman04

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53:24 AM »

Gents,

This is the part where I say, thank each of you for your response and timely information.  Nothing left but to get'r done!

Jerry - I need to give a special shout-out to you.  You're like a good college professor, thorough! Your research and willingness to share (with all) has saved me a lot of learning pain.  I bought my first CVO (EG) in April of 2013; lost my mind and brought my second (SG) in April of 2015.  Over this period time, I've been very fortunate to be a recipient/student of experience and expertise.  Thank you!

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.