Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question About '02 "B" Motor Cases  (Read 1810 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Question About '02 "B" Motor Cases
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »

Okay, I've asked about the Timken LH bearings etc before, but have I think one last question.  Or at least one last thread about them.

I plan to purchase an '00 to '02 "B" 88" with as low of miles as possible.

It will be used in a Harley power car, so the "B" counterbalanced motor will be a big part of its smoothness.  It will be coupled with an adapter that I'm going to purchase from Morgan Motor Co from the UK, but through a dealer in Chicago.  They originally had the Harley primary chain comp packed in grease as a coupler, but they worked for around 5k to 10k miles and they were junk... Surprise.  From the adapter it couples to a Miata 5 speed trans and then back from there.  The Morgan Three Wheeler, of course has a single rear wheel, but that has it's own issues, too many to list here.  I'll be running it into a widened MG Midget/Sprite rear axle assembly with a set of 3.9:1 ring and pinion.  The M3W also use the S&S 2L Wedge motor with the older Harley 4-bolt primary pattern.  That's why I have to go with the older pre '06 lower cases.

The new compensator is a 4 rubber rod setup that rolls the rubber rods back and forth inside 4 elliptical pockets that get more rigid the further the two parts get out of phase with each other.  This is very similar to what Harley does, only with ramps and springs.

By buying these components I know that I'm cheating a bit, but why reinvent the parts if I can buy them.  I know, why make a car if I can buy one.

After I get it running with the 88", I plan on upping it to the 95" kit of some sort.  BUT if this works out to be what I hope it will be, I may upgrade to the S&S 124" Hot Setup for pre '06 "B" motors.

With the 124" Hot Setup the cases have to be bored for the new cylinders.  I'm sure at that time the cam bearing upgrade would be good to get into the larger inner diameter needle bearings.

So my question is this, is the '00 to '02 "B" motor a good case to start with and later upgrade with?

Or should I go with the latest "B" motor in the pre '06 vintage with the 4-bolt old style primary pattern?

Thanks, this is the last thread on this subject matter.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Question About '02 "B" Motor Cases
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

Nothing wrong with the early "B" motor cases. I have a (2000) in the works now for a local customer that I'm making a 110" out of. Not drop on, but bored cases. I'm using S&S flywheels with their taper top rods, so I can use the Mahle 11 cc. pistons. I've lightened the balancer weights as well. You can bore the cam bearing bosses for the larger bearings.
Aftermarket offers all the parts you need to make the engine a 124" if desired.
I see no issues. :nixweiss:
John
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:36:19 PM by johnsachs »

CarlosGGodfrog

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 11:55:07 AM »

Out of curiosity, what is the max cam lift (without case cutting) that can be used in the 2002 "B" cases ?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 12:58:16 PM »

Out of curiosity, what is the max cam lift (without case cutting) that can be used in the 2002 "B" cases ?

We have had to, on a rare occasion, cut the cases for proper clearance with "bolt In" .510" lift cams. You need to check the cam lobes for proper clearance (.030") regardless of which cam you use.

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 06:37:46 AM »

ive never had to clearance cases for anything under .575 and that's rare,usually about .600 (about the previous post,.510,really???).ALWAYS check though
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 08:04:39 AM by prodrag1320 »

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 06:48:27 AM »

Nothing wrong with the early "B" motor cases. I have a (2000) in the works now for a local customer that I'm making a 110" out of. Not drop on, but bored cases. I'm using S&S flywheels with their taper top rods, so I can use the Mahle 11 cc. pistons. I've lightened the balancer weights as well. You can bore the cam bearing bosses for the larger bearings.
Aftermarket offers all the parts you need to make the engine a 124" if desired.
I see no issues. :nixweiss:
John

What cams for that one John ?
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 06:31:39 PM »

What cams for that one John ?
S&S HP 103 GD/ES.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.