Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Test results of "my bike is not accelerating like it should".  (Read 1830 times)

DHF

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited Anniversary

I took my bike to my dealer for testing and here are the results. Sump test 3 ounces. Compression test 124 front and 125 back. Leak down test 5%. Oil level and condition was normal. Coolant level normal. No DTC codes during any system check. Test ride #1 on 6/19/18. He let the bike idle for 5 minutes and then rode it 20 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration. The outside temperature was 101 degrees. Test ride #2 on 6/20/18. He let the bike idle for 10 minutes and then rode it 30 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration.  The outside temperature was 100 degrees. Test ride #3 on 6/21/18. He let the bike idle for 5 minutes and then rode it 20 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration.. The outside temperature was 104 degrees. Test ride #4 on 6/22/18. He let the bike idle for 10 minutes and then rode it 20 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration. The outside temperature was 99 degrees. He stated that the bike performed normally during each test ride. Therefore, all diagnostic tests were normal and the 4 test rides did not reproduce what I experienced that one time. I have been riding it every since and have had no problems what so ever. So, hopefully it was just a one time thing. The mechanic wants me to bring it back if I have any concerns and he will re-test everything again.  He was a great guy to deal with  and clearly wanted me to be happy with my bike. By the way, Harley now has digital dip sticks that tell oil level and temperature for the Milwaukee Eight motors for those that are interested.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:04:05 PM by DHF »
Whether you think you can or think you can't, you are right.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Results of "my bike is not accelerating like it should".
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »

I took my bike to my dealer for testing and here are the results. Sump test 3 ounces. Compression test 124 front and 125 back. Leak down test 5%. Oil level and condition was normal. Coolant level normal. No DTC codes during any system check. Test ride #1 on 6/19/18. He let the bike idle for 5 minutes and then rode it 20 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration. The outside temperature was 101 degrees. Test ride #2 on 6/20/18. He let the bike idle for 10 minutes and then rode it 30 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration.  The outside temperature was 100 degrees. Test ride #3 on 6/21/18. He let the bike idle for 5 minutes and then rode it 20 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration.. The outside temperature was 104 degrees. Test ride #4 on 6/22/18. He let the bike idle for 10 minutes and then rode it 20 miles varying the speed with normal and hard acceleration. The outside temperature was 99 degrees. He stated that the bike performed normally during each test ride. Therefore, all diagnostic tests were normal and the 4 test rides did not reproduce what I experienced that one time. I have been riding it every since and have had no problems what so ever. So, hopefully it was just a one time thing. The mechanic wants me to bring it back if I have any concerns and he will re-test everything again.  He was a great guy to deal with  and clearly wanted me to be happy with my bike. By the way, Harley now has digital dip sticks that tell oil level and temperature for the Milwaukee Eight motors for those that are interested.

IMO, None of the tests you described are enough to induce a state if sumping in your engine. I’ve had 3 engines that sumped so here’s my recommendation. Go out and ride the bike for an hour. No need to ride hard. Just go out and ride it. Do some highway riding with a few passes of trucks where you drop a gear or 2.

Then ride the bike to the dealer and immediately ask the tech to ride the bike without letting it cool down. If he goes out and puts the bike through some hard runs, highway miles and a few twisties over another 20-30 more miles after your 1hr ride, that will be a good test.

If he comes back and checks the oil in the crankcase and its below 5-6 ounces, then the bike is not likely to sump. If he loses power or there’s alot more oil in the crankcase, then you have a sumping engine.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 09:11:14 PM by Heatwave »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Results of "my bike is not accelerating like it should".
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:53:42 PM »

IMO, None of the tests you described are enough to induce a state if sumping in your engine. I’ve had 3 engines that sumped so here’s my recommendation. Go out and ride the bike for an hour. No need to ride hard. Just go out and ride it. Do some highway riding with a few passes of trucks where you drop a gear or 2.

Then ride the bike to the dealer and immediately ask the tech to ride the bike without letting it cool down. If he goes out and puts the bike through some hard runs, highway miles and a few twisties over another 20-30 more miles after your 1hr ride, that will be a good test.

If he comes back and checks the oil in the crankcase and its below 5-6 ounces, then the bike is not likely to sump. If he loses power or there’s alot more oil in the crankcase, then you have a sumping engine.
X2!
Alan

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Test results of "my bike is not accelerating like it should".
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:17:03 AM »

I would listen to Mr. Heatwave. He has the most experience in the Sumping world unfortunetely.

Bumpandrun

Re: Test results of "my bike is not accelerating like it should".
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 03:40:21 PM »

Sounds like u had a pretty good tech....ride it and don't worry.  Time to worry is when you let a dealer pull the motor apart......you may as well just throw in the towel at most dealerships I have been in.  Go find a good independent engine builder.   Less screwing around and it WILL be cheaper in the end....plus you get to ride instead of sitting in front of a puter .  Good luck but 90% of what dealers are seeing the last year are nothing .

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.