Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Vision Tuning Issue  (Read 2558 times)

JaronCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Power Vision Tuning Issue
« on: June 27, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »

Wondering if anyone is had this issue.

I own a 2017 CVO Street Glide M8 (water cooled). It has the stage 4, V&H full exhaust, Power Vision tuner, and Trask air cleaner. Back in April, while riding from Seattle to LA, the ETIMS kicked on while riding and wouldn’t turn off (85-90 degree weather). I had the bike towed and the dealership disabled the EITMS and said they believe it’s the tune. Bike was good. A week ago, I was riding in hot weather, the bike got sluggish and couldn’t get out of its own way. I have oil coming from the air cleaner. I assume it’s oil sumping, due to the HD service bulletin 1450. I took it to the dealership and had them ride it while it was still hot. A tech road the bike and said it feels sluggish and said it’s more likely the tune. He stated that one of the exhaust sensors could be telling the engine to go into limp mode because it's hot. I call the dealership to check on the status, they tell me that they couldn’t duplicate the issue and bike is good. When the bike is cold, there are no issues. Due to my mods, MoCo voided my warranty, it is what it is. I’ve just ordered the S&S camplate and oil pump just to be on the cautious side of things and will install once it comes in. I'm away on travel currently and cannot troubleshoot the way that I want, so I am researching as much as I can to correct the issue.

Has anyone had an issue with the M8 and tuner doing this?
2017 CVO Street Glide

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Power Vision Tuning Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »

I own a 2017 CVO Street Glide M8 (water cooled). It has the stage 4, V&H full exhaust, Power Vision tuner, and Trask air cleaner. Back in April, while riding from Seattle to LA, the ETIMS kicked on while riding and wouldn’t turn off (85-90 degree weather). I had the bike towed and the dealership disabled the EITMS and said they believe it’s the tune. Bike was good. A week ago, I was riding in hot weather, the bike got sluggish and couldn’t get out of its own way. I have oil coming from the air cleaner. I assume it’s oil sumping, due to the HD service bulletin 1450. I took it to the dealership and had them ride it while it was still hot. A tech road the bike and said it feels sluggish and said it’s more likely the tune. He stated that one of the exhaust sensors could be telling the engine to go into limp mode because it's hot. I call the dealership to check on the status, they tell me that they couldn’t duplicate the issue and bike is good. When the bike is cold, there are no issues. Due to my mods, MoCo voided my warranty, it is what it is. I’ve just ordered the S&S camplate and oil pump just to be on the cautious side of things and will install once it comes in. I'm away on travel currently and cannot troubleshoot the way that I want, so I am researching as much as I can to correct the issue.

Its not the tune if the bike runs well for the first 20 miles. Your bike unfortunately is sumping. Hopefully the cam plate and oil pump will address the issue but I have my doubts. If HD couldn’t solve sumping with 7 newly designed oil pumps, I’m less than confident that the aftermarket can fix sumping ith an oil pump redesign. But hopefully they can. Good luck.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 09:48:49 PM »

i'm inclined to believe that your dealership is just making chit up on the fly.  your tune could be light years off and the eitms would not kick on while riding.  the eitms is only active when idling, as soon as the rpm increases, it shuts off.

i sure hope you get the issue taken care of....
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 09:59:51 PM »

EITMS turns off the moment you roll the throttle on or if the engine temp drops below 275 degrees.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:33:33 PM »

I remember this situation from an earlier thread.  You really need to find a better dealership, those folks are clueless and just feeding you a bunch of you-know-what. 

Do what you want in regard to the oil pump and cam plate, but I doubt those items are going to fix the problem.  There is more this than just the oil pumps.  You also need to do some checking for engine damage.  When the engine sumps and overheats, if you don't shut it down immediately you will most likely have damage due to lack of lubrication in critical areas.  Read some of the threads by Heatwave and SDCVO about their multiple failures and the types of internal damage found in their engines.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bumpandrun

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 06:10:36 AM »

We have had one tune from Jamie turn on the ETIMS and it wasn't at idle.....no warranty your probably in luck.  Go find a good builder/tuner help you.  So far the good engine builder are doing very well with this motor. With some still using the stock oil pump with a few tricks done.  Go get somebody with a scope and run it up thru exhaust,intake or spark plug hole. Check to see if indeed you do have scuffed cyl walls from overheating.  Hey the best part.....no mo chrome cup holder installers that u really need to go too.( dealer🙄)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:12:51 AM by Bumpandrun »

JaronCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »

Its not the tune if the bike runs well for the first 20 miles. Your bike unfortunately is sumping. Hopefully the cam plate and oil pump will address the issue but I have my doubts. If HD couldn’t solve sumping with 7 newly designed oil pumps, I’m less than confident that the aftermarket can fix sumping ith an oil pump redesign. But hopefully they can. Good luck.

I rode 700 miles back home the first time the bike went into limp mode. I don't know what's going on with it. Thinking about buying my third tuner, a TTS.
2017 CVO Street Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 04:18:09 PM »

I rode 700 miles back home the first time the bike went into limp mode. I don't know what's going on with it. Thinking about buying my third tuner, a TTS.

Throwing more good money after bad isn't going to help.  It's not a PV versus TTS problem.  At some point you need to cut your losses, find a highly regarded and competent professional, and let him fix your problem.  Or you could call Jaime as previously recommended and talk to him about how his tune supposedly turned on EITMS while you were riding down the road and see what he says.  Most who have dealt with him have given him good reviews.

At this point getting any tuning issues fixed is just one small part of the issue.  You still need to address the high probability that your engine has sumped and you have internal damage.  Once again, now that you aren't tied to the incompetent dealer, find a competent and honest independent.  There are good folks out there, and most really good folks don't work for a Harley dealer.  They can pick and choose where they work.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JaronCVO

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 08:08:50 PM »

Throwing more good money after bad isn't going to help.  It's not a PV versus TTS problem.  At some point you need to cut your losses, find a highly regarded and competent professional, and let him fix your problem.  Or you could call Jaime as previously recommended and talk to him about how his tune supposedly turned on EITMS while you were riding down the road and see what he says.  Most who have dealt with him have given him good reviews.

At this point getting any tuning issues fixed is just one small part of the issue.  You still need to address the high probability that your engine has sumped and you have internal damage.  Once again, now that you aren't tied to the incompetent dealer, find a competent and honest independent.  There are good folks out there, and most really good folks don't work for a Harley dealer.  They can pick and choose where they work.

Jerry

I've contacted Steve Huff from Steve Huff Motorsports. He's gonna work on my bike. He recommends a TTS tuner, S&S lifters, and TTS 250 cam. I've had the engine looked at by multiple HD dealerships, they all say it looks good. Steve said, based on what I explained what was happening with the bike, it sounds like a tuner issue.
2017 CVO Street Glide

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 03:53:39 AM »

I've contacted Steve Huff from Steve Huff Motorsports. He's gonna work on my bike. He recommends a TTS tuner, S&S lifters, and TTS 250 cam. I've had the engine looked at by multiple HD dealerships, they all say it looks good. Steve said, based on what I explained what was happening with the bike, it sounds like a tuner issue.
Two things you can count on:  First, the advice you already got here is from people who don't have any monetary interest coloring their recommendations; Second, if the dealerships and indies haven't done the procedure from SB 1450, or either borescoped the engine or tore it down...they have no idea what condition the engine is in.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 21 queries.