Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Twin Cam Oil Migration from trans to primary  (Read 2395 times)

wolfhd

• CVO1: 2015 fltrseu
Twin Cam Oil Migration from trans to primary
« on: July 10, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »

My 2015 FLTRSEU is losing about 8 oz. every 300 miles.  OUCH. I just put a vent hose on my primary chaincase today.  I will let you know if it works.  Has anyone tried a 3 piece clutch rod from the 2014 CVO's???   It looks a little thicker in diameter.  Maybe will keep oil from moving thru mainshaft.   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Twin Cam Oil Migration from trans to primary
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 10:05:21 PM »

My 2015 FLTRSEU is losing about 8 oz. every 300 miles.  OUCH. I just put a vent hose on my primary chaincase today.  I will let you know if it works.  Has anyone tried a 3 piece clutch rod from the 2014 CVO's???   It looks a little thicker in diameter.  Maybe will keep oil from moving thru mainshaft.

Unfortunately yours is not a new issue.  Something that's been discussed for quite awhile.  Superseded recently by other even more dramatic engine issues but the fluid movement problem you're dealing with is not new.  Have seen others try venting the primary also; without real success.

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 10:42:37 PM »

For some the larger diameter rod from the 14 works well. 
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:59 AM »

I seem to remember a supposed fix that involved a new seal and new spacer, but I'm not having any luck finding where I read that.  That was for the Twin Cam RushedMore bikes, still haven't seen a fix for the M8 bikes.  There are a lot of very PO'ed folks on other forums with 2017 and 2018 bikes experiencing severe migration issues, one I remember reading about would transfer 20 ounces from the trans to the primary in just a few hundred miles.

Sure am glad Harley did all those millions of miles of testing.  I'm guessing those were virtual test miles, not actual riding of production level bikes by real people.  Some people think they can assign everything to a computer program these days.  "It works on paper (monitor)" is a common comeback to an issue.  It might be a good answer if we only used virtual products, but I always found those virtual rides to be less than satisfying.  After all that riding I found myself still at the starting point.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wolfhd

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:22 PM »

My dealer called the factory because neither one us believed that the sprocket shaft seal could have anything to do with this.  The factory is saying that the seal can go bad and crankcase pressure and vacuum can cause funny things in the primary.  Makes sense to me now.  I pulled mine apart today; mines a 2015 with 49,000 miles on it and the seal was brittle as glass.  I think the MOCO is correct on this.  I'm going to get it back together the first of the week and I will let u know.  Praise the Lord if this works.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 09:17:06 PM »

Good luck hope that sorts the issue for you.

wolfhd

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:48:55 AM »

Thank God.   My problem is fixed. The seal did it and it was only $4.19.  Ran it like I stole it for 500 miles.,  all oils are still in the correct compartment.  Sound like they need to change seal vendors or materials.....Thank God for these forums also.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 02:10:12 PM »

So we now have evidence the seal will fix the issue on a late model Twin Cam bikes.  Makes me wonder what changed from 2013 and prior to the 2014 - 2016 bikes.  And according to the guys raising hell on other forums about the 2017-2018 M8 bikes, changing the seal in those doesn't do anything for their problem. :nixweiss:

Sounds like Harley not only needs to go to desmodromic valve actuation, but also unit construction engine and transmissions like all those Japanese bikes.  Don't have to worry about trans oil in the primary or engine, it's all one lube supply.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.