Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trailer Recomendations  (Read 3180 times)

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
Trailer Recomendations
« on: July 13, 2018, 08:36:58 PM »

After our last trip I came to the conclusion that having a trailer may be a good idea, this coming from a guy that thought the RoadKing Classic was all we needed until our first trip on our first Ultra Limited.
I have been reading the threads that have been posted on the trailers and the Bushtec certainly is a great looking unit.
My questions are,
Do the tire size make tracking better with the smaller tires or the larger tires that the Bushtec have, track better?
Does the trailer / bike handle better with the standard ball type hitch or the type that can twist when the bike is leaning when going into a turn?
Reading about the mounting of the hitch to the bike I have seen where the clearance between the rear tire and a hitch mounting bolt is very close, is there a different mounting bracket I should ask for being the is a CVO Ultra?
Thanks for any input.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Trailer Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 12:00:16 AM »

One of the things that make the Bushtec a good trailer is the large tires. They make a big difference on take off as well as prolly cooler bearings. Another is the light weight. I have a tent trailer that weighs 325lbs before you add gear. The turbo model weighs about 125 before adding gear. As far as the swivel tongue hitch verses non, there are folks that favor each. However the Bushtec comes with a heim pin type connect I believe. And they come up on ad used at good prices ask Chains.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 12:49:16 AM »

As far as hitch clearance, but a hitch for your model of bike and you shouldn't have any issues. I have been running the Bushtec hitch and the fit and clearance leaves plenty of room. Rear tire swaps are no problem
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 06:32:36 AM »

Joel,
Having owned multiple Bushtec trailers over the years I assure you they are the top choice for towing. If you look around you can find them as low as $500.00 sometimes. I prefer 1994 and later, not that the pre 94 are bad they are just a little tougher to locate parts for.  Bushtec trailers are easy to maintain and pull like a dream. The heim joint hitch pin system works flawlessly just keep it lubricated.

As for as the hitch for your bike I have had a few different styles but tend to lean more towards Bushtec no problem what so ever changing tires. I usually make up my own wire harnesses as I always have something laying around that came with a trailer I bought and sold. There again Bushtec makes a great harness.

If your not in a big hurry you can find everything from the trailer to the harness used and get into it on a low budget. Good luck check Craigslist in your area and other publications you will be amazed at the number of trailers just sitting in the corner of garages.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »

Thanks for the info on the trailer idea. Seems like the Bushtec will be trailer of choice.
I will check Craigslist  to see if I can come up with one locally .  I've seen a few  but they seem to be pretty far away.  I'm in the northwest  35 miles east of Idaho  75 miles south of the Canadian border .
My riding season is almost over. I have a date with the zipper man to repair a torn meniscus in my left knee, search and remove some floaters. Then after that I need to set up a time to repair a torn tendon sheath in my left wrist as well as carpal tunnel in both wrists.
So this will give me plenty of time to be patient and watch for that guy that's cleaning out his garage.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 09:46:57 AM »

Sorry to hear all your parts wearing out. Hope you get fixed up before the list gets any longer.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 04:18:21 PM »

2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will check them out.
If I get lucky to find a black one than have the stripes painted on to match the bike would be nice.

ultrarider123

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 09:59:59 AM »

Thanks for the info, I will check them out.
If I get lucky to find a black one than have the stripes painted on to match the bike would be nice.

Black goes with everything and the stripes can be changed!  I'll throw in another Bushtec "harrumph".  It's the only bike trailer I've ever owned and I've had three.  The larger, bicycle-type tires make a world of difference pulling along with that great, air suspension system.  What sold me when I bought my first in 1994 was John taking the trailer, lifting it up from the rear 2-3 feet and dropping it to the ground.  NO bounce.
Chains has had more Bushtec trailers than most of us put together and would be what I'd call the "resident expert" so any suggestions he can give you will be good ones.
By the way, the factory is about 30 minutes up the road from me if you need me to look at anything there... ;D

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »

I've had three Bushtec trailers also.  And if I were buying another trailer to pull behind my bike, it'd be a Bushtec.

I've actually had four, but I bought the last one just to flip it. 
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »

Five here.  Some we're cheap and to flip some with the intention of keeping longer.  Also had an American Legend and some other trailer.  Bushtec always pulled best and easiest.  Last spring scored another black Roadstar.  It's the model I prefer the looks of and black goes with anything.  Bought it cheap and just keeping this one no matter how much or little might get used.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.