Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2011 FLHXSE2 2nd Shift shaft seal failure  (Read 1047 times)

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond/Inferno Orange
2011 FLHXSE2 2nd Shift shaft seal failure
« on: August 13, 2018, 07:29:20 PM »

I have a question for all of you. I was going to buy another extended warranty on my bike (I had 7 years to start with). Since my other warranty ran out in December, they had to do a complete inspection on the bike and found my only issue was the shift shaft seal was leaking. I just had this replaced April 2017 (under my extended warranty). In order to get the additional warranty I have to get this fixed first. Stealership says about $450. Is this something I am going to have to have replaced yearly from now on? What causes this to fail? Do I have any recourse with my dealer? The part number they used for the seal was 11000101. Thanks for any advice.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 2011 FLHXSE2 2nd Shift shaft seal failure
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:00:55 PM »

$450 is really high to replace that seal. And yes the OEM seals do leak. We use the Cometic double lip seals. They work much better. Another thing to look for is the shaft bushing itself. If the shaft has a lot of side to side movement in the bushing there isn't any seal that will stop the leak.

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »

It's a $3 seal but the entire primary (outer and inner) needs to be removed to change it out.

The new HD seal (part #11000101) is the improved double-lip design.  It shouldn't leak that quickly unless you have an issue with the shifter shaft having a ridiculous amount of lateral play, or the last seal install had some sort of issue.

If it were me, I'd clean in between the transmission and inner primary really good with something like engine degreaser to really see how much it is leaking before I did anything.  How do they know there isn't just residual oil from the original seal failure?

I'd certainly have a hard time shelling out another $450 when it was just replaced last year.  That seal should last...well, a loooong time.

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 08:17:25 PM »

Sounds like a good idea to me. If it is leaking, what to I need to check for low oil? Transmission?? Is that the plug below the dipstick? We are getting ready to go to Milwaukee for the anniversary party. Hate to spend my vacation money on a repair, would rather wait til I get back.

J.D.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 08:29:18 PM »

It'll weep out of the shaft that the shifter linkage is attached to, and run down onto the mainshaft behind the belt pulley, down onto the bottom of the drivetrain, and ultimately onto the swingarm, back tire, and ground.  They typically just weep a little and don't lose too much oil.

To clarify, the shaft will have some play in-out relative to the transmission (i.e. in line with the shaft itself) but shouldn't have much lateral movement (i.e in line with the shift linkage).

I'd suggest doing the following:
Raise the bike onto a lift and cover the lift in plastic.  Spray the snot out of it from above and below with a full can of rubber safe engine cleaner from the local auto parts store.  Get in there in all the little crevices the best you can with things like old toothbrushes and bottle brushes.  Spray it again with engine cleaner afterwards.  Then rinse it down.  After a few good rides you'll be able to see clearly if that shifter shaft seal is leaking or not.  If it turns out that the new seal is leaking, I'd talk to the shop who installed it before shelling out for another repair, as that seal should last far longer than 1-year.

S.E.Chic

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Eagle has landed!
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 09:11:13 PM »

That is what I will do. When the service writer brought it to my attention, he immediately said if it had happened within a year of the first replacement, they would fix it under warranty. I will clean it and degrease it, ride it on my trip and check for spots when I get back home. I usually put it on the lift to wash it anyway. I hadn't noticed any grime, but then I wasn't looking specifically for it.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.