Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: CVO Twin Cooled Oil Cooler Project  (Read 12365 times)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: CVO Twin Cooled Oil Cooler Project
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 03:20:48 AM »

Can you expand on this?  What is tts? And are you saying it can set the Cooling temperature and MPH targets that control when the radiator fans run?
Here you go:  http://www.mastertune.net/
If you want peace, prepare for war.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »

Here you go:  http://www.mastertune.net/

Thank you for the link.  OK, so I've been reading up on TTS and other tuners and also been reading papers from "Dr. Dyno"  (which is great by the way).

So what I cannot see is if you disconnect the O2 sensors with a TTS tune?  And if not, and the closed loop system is still engaged how can you apply a custom tune for all the time closed loop is engaged?  It always going to try and achieve 1.0 lamda if the O2 sensors and closed loop is still active.  What an I missing?

--

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 01:50:52 AM »

So what I cannot see is if you disconnect the O2 sensors with a TTS tune?  And if not, and the closed loop system is still engaged how can you apply a custom tune for all the time closed loop is engaged?  It always going to try and achieve 1.0 lamda if the O2 sensors and closed loop is still active.  What an I missing?
The missing part is that the TTS (and other flash-type tuners) can change the fuel map to obtain the desired lamda (AFR) in closed loop.  So the O2 sensors are still "in the loop" lol, but now the system is injecting more fuel to get an AFR that is richer than stoichiometric (14.7 with pure gas, not with E10).

BTW, concerning HD and their warranty:  HD will void the powertrain warranty if a non-EPA approved map has ever been installed, and their ECU sets a "flag" when a different map is installed.  Mastertune says its device can install a new map, then later re-install the original EPA approved map, without leaving any trace.  They also say PowerVision, FP3, and other tuning devices cannot do this, and leave a flag set that tells HD you've been a bad boy.  FWIW
If you want peace, prepare for war.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 02:11:24 AM »

The missing part is that the TTS (and other flash-type tuners) can change the fuel map to obtain the desired lamda (AFR) in closed loop.  So the O2 sensors are still "in the loop" lol, but now the system is injecting more fuel to get an AFR that is richer than stoichiometric (14.7 with pure gas, not with E10).

BTW, concerning HD and their warranty:  HD will void the powertrain warranty if a non-EPA approved map has ever been installed, and their ECU sets a "flag" when a different map is installed.  Mastertune says its device can install a new map, then later re-install the original EPA approved map, without leaving any trace.  They also say PowerVision, FP3, and other tuning devices cannot do this, and leave a flag set that tells HD you've been a bad boy.  FWIW

Thanks for you response.  And thanks for the comments about warranty.  At 54K miles my 2015 is no longer on warranty now.  Back to the subject of tuners.  The narrow band O2 sensor on our bikes cannot read a richer mixture than ~ 14.1 AFR,  Lower than that it is out of range.  So if the TTS, FP3 (which I have) were to get the bike to run richer it would have to force the bike to operate from maps only (ignore closed loop feedback entirely) or at least ignore them outside of their readability range. 

This paper is what got me going on these questions.  It's an excellent write-up that tells me the limitations of my FP3. I do not see TTS listed in the tuner comparison chart which is why the questions started.

http://www.drdyno.com/AIM_2010-09.html

--

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 06:53:31 AM »

With a TTS the tune can go "in" and "out" of closed loop operation. For example, my tune is set to only be in closed loop during the rpm range that I wanted to control fuel mileage a little better. My other map has the entire tune in open loop.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »

Thank you Mr Warlock. That makes sense. And is actually a pretty cool feature too.  Very interesting...

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 02:56:06 PM »

Thanks for you response.  And thanks for the comments about warranty.  At 54K miles my 2015 is no longer on warranty now.  Back to the subject of tuners.  The narrow band O2 sensor on our bikes cannot read a richer mixture than ~ 14.1 AFR,  Lower than that it is out of range.  So if the TTS, FP3 (which I have) were to get the bike to run richer it would have to force the bike to operate from maps only (ignore closed loop feedback entirely) or at least ignore them outside of their readability range. 

This paper is what got me going on these questions.  It's an excellent write-up that tells me the limitations of my FP3. I do not see TTS listed in the tuner comparison chart which is why the questions started.

http://www.drdyno.com/AIM_2010-09.html

--
When the VEs are set in tts you can dial in any afr you wish an that happens in open loop when out of the NB rsnge

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

Yes. Started reading thru tts users manual yesterday. A lot of good information in general on how things work in the ECM. The software is very impressive also... I may pull the trigger with tts.

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 03:28:17 PM »

ha ha.  No worries.  I understood what you meant.

Hey folks,

I did not post this thread to start yet another debate over how "best" to cool your Harley.  I know about head fans, I know about tuning etc...  I was sharing this information to let folks with "Twin Cooling" know that if they remove their thermostat that the system has a lot of extra capacity to remove heat from the heads when the thermostat is removed.  A significant amount of heat for that matter.  It's a simple mod that only takes an hour.  And with the thermostat out refilling the system and getting the air out is easier as the cooling system is a loop with the bypass removed.  I'm just sharing what I've found that's all.
Regards,  Tim

Tim, is that all you did was remove the T-stat and put in a hose connector? Any wiring changes?
Better yet, any pics?
Dan
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:24 AM »

Good work and results.

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 05:42:38 PM »

FYI, FWIW,
Just got off the phone w/ JJ @ UltraCool and they NOW HAVE an oil cooler for the Road Glide Ultra, CVO etc. W/ water cooling.

He is sending me pics soon.  :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :bananarock:

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »

Here it is

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 05:50:57 PM »

One more

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »

Tim, is that all you did was remove the T-stat and put in a hose connector? Any wiring changes?
Better yet, any pics?
Dan

Hi Dan.  Yes, all I did was remove the T-Stat.  The picture of the pluming is shown in the bottom of page 5 on the report listed below.

http://sta-bul.com/projects/OilCoolerProjectPhase1.pdf

FYI:  The last time I was home the air temp was in the 55 to low 60s and the engine temp never got above 170 which might be a bit too cool...  So FYI I am thinking to maybe control the speed of the water pump like the newer bikes do. But that is another project :)  Besides, the bike runs great that cool and I honestly do not like riding in that cool of weather conditions anyway.

-

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »

Good work and results.

Thank you!  Much appreciated.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 21 queries.