Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil vs coolant  (Read 1437 times)

swhalen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Oil vs coolant
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:02:19 PM »

Does anybody know why some of the bikes are water cooled with fans and radiators and other are oil cooled. I have had a CVO roadglide”16” that was water cooled and now. 19 CVO RG that has a oil cooler. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Oil vs coolant
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:34:04 PM »

I would imagine only H-D senior management could truly answer that question. My guess is H-D didn't want to shock the old school purist who wanted oil/air cooling and maybe even some lack of conviction that water cooling would solve the overheating problems. Then you also throw in cost saving measures since putting water cooling on all bikes not only limit choices for potential buyers but drive up cost to manufacture.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Oil vs coolant
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:47:53 AM »

IMHO it's all about money and "style".  The oil cooling system is significantly less expensive to produce.  Of course the old adage applies, you get what you pay for.  There is no doubt in my mind that the water cooling system is more effective at controlling head temps.  But as designed by Harley it requires lower fairings for the radiators, more plumbing, fans, a thermostat, and pump.  The oil cooled system requires a big oil cooler and different oil pump, and they don't even give you a fan for the oil cooler.  They will sell one to you however. 

If Harley wasn't so afraid to put a proper radiator on the front of the frame downtubes, like some of the competition, you wouldn't need lowers to hide two smaller radiators.  As usual, their decision making process gave a much higher priority to style and appearance than to actual function.

If you go with a bike that comes with oil cooling, I would definitely suggest you add the fan for the oil cooler.  The cooler doesn't do much for you if it doesn't have plenty of air moving through it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.